HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-23-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Salvation Army Drag Pak Parts

Thought some of you might enjoy this....the others...well....have fun making fun.

Needed some high tech "Things" only one place I know has em all... Salvation Army, next time you need aluminum or stainless covers in odd sizes try a couple of em, goodwill etc.... dog bowls, decorative frying pans in .030 steel for old spun ugly orange anodized aluminum circa 1960 kitchen canisters....use your imagination ... Total Cost $6.50 Total modification and installation time 43 minutes. Including a whole bunch of new in pack sheet metal screws etc....(It was %50 off day there today) Enjoy......

Total time to procure and modify and install , 43 minutes.

Parts taken care of.

Steering column decorative cover under quick couplet (Some polycarbonate wierd stuff thats ...wierd....harder than hell and nearly impossible to drill ? Part of some kinda vacum canister for the kitchen, but it dosent scratch

Firewall recess for "engine camera" (yeah really were gonna run one when allowed why ? because we can cost of infared engine camera $9 when you remove the visible light filter from a connectix quick cam, aluminum cupcake thing, like .080 thick will do nice)

2 speaker firewall covers for package tray (Decorative tin plated steel .039)

And a couple other odds and ends.... We were going to use a big tin painted eyeball for the camera mount/cover but they were out of stock of tin painted eyeballs 3.5 in diamater (come on OUT OF STOCK ? Its not like theyre the hot Christmas gift of the year)

Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Salvation Army Drag Pak Parts

You are the man. Sure beats what I did with sheet metal, pop rivets, and glue.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:17 PM   #3
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art leong View Post
You are the man. Sure beats what I did with sheet metal, pop rivets, and glue.
Lol...thanks....I just hate cutting stuff, and I cant cut something round to save my life that dosent look like crap...... so I try to find it as I need it, Im a scrounger...always have been, everything I learned about doing it without the right stuff I learned from my dad I had to stop stealing my wifes cookware.....she didnt like that too much....but the honor goes to my good buddy and Sculptor Damon Drummond, the guy spends 6 hours a day at the scrap yard....then goes home disassembles everything puts it into bins in his shop, then puts it all back together ,into robots and ray guns...Hes the king...

I would have planned a raid to his place, but hes in SoCal having fun going to some vintage iron meet or something........

He fits right in to our band of Misfits, and we are......Hell be in Pomona with us....gotta have a good fabricator on hand, and hes the best I know, even if he does enjoy "The Culture of Junk" as he calls it.....

Cheers Art, have a Merry Christmas....

Old 12-23-2009, 09:05 PM   #4
Dennis P Chapman
VIP Member

Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts

Pretty good I like it. lol
Old 12-23-2009, 11:53 PM   #5
Alan Warman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My wife gets pretty upset when stuff comes up missing from the kitchen. But goes though the roof when she catches me using the dishwasher to clean parts.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:05 PM   #6
Jerry Hatch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Warman View Post
My wife gets pretty upset when stuff comes up missing from the kitchen. But goes though the roof when she catches me using the dishwasher to clean parts.
Whaaa ha ha haaaa!! That comment just created an amazingly funny mental picture for me. Thank you for the laugh.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hows that work for you ? We have to stop the dry cycle on Steel or it flash rusts, and been using either purple power or simple green in a big concentration......

Anything to stop the flash rusting ? Ive been thinking of trying and adding a cup of WD40 liquid in the dry cycle.

Works great on bead blasted alloy though

Kenmore portable off Cragislist , cheap ($20) it leaks a little, but its nice because I move it outside and throw a hose on it....let it leak away (maybe 2 or 3 cups per load)

Love to know how to (other than stopping the dry cycle) stop the flash rusting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Warman View Post
Old 12-25-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
gmonde

Liked 166 Times in 59 Posts

man my wife would have a freakin come apart ,if she opened up the washer and found misc car parts mixed in with the silver ware past down thru the years

i dare anyone to throw in a steering box or better yet a third member

gmonde
gmonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 01:31 PM   #9
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 649 Times in 208 Posts
Cool Re: Salvation Army Drag Pak Parts

This is no baloney, several years ago, I was setting up another 12 bolt for one of the Chevelles, and I had a brand new Richmond ring and pinion, and a brand new spool.Problem was, the interference fit between the ID of the ring gear and the OD of the spool was a bit too snug to get it started .The thought occured to me to put the ring gear in the dishwasher with the rest of the dishes and silverware, and the spool in the freezer. Tony Janes came by and we went to Maria's Mexican Food in Glendora for lunch, and when we got back, the whole batch was done, so I took the steaming hot ring gear out of the dishwasher, and the spool from the freezer had frost on it. Setting it on the bench, the ring gear slid into place perfectly,and all 12 bolts started finger tight, so I got the torque wrench and pulled them all down. The pinion and flange and other stuff was done, so it was no problem to set the spool and ring gear combo in the housing, shim it, set backlash, and install the caps , and that thing was ready. Since it was a new gearset, there was no residual 90 weight odor to deal with(not cool on the rest of the dishes),and the thermal process of doing this worked pretty well.Great to have a working wife who wasn't home to see this.I imagine something like a 9 inch center section in the dishwasher could be controversial.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 06:11 PM   #10
Jim Bailey

Liked 571 Times in 107 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Salvation Army Drag Pak Parts

OMAO: Drooze; if you can figure out a way to hitch it to the frig. .....I'm outta business!!!LOL. JB
Jim Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote