HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-11-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
Goog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Data collection

Do you stick shift guys use a RPM pick up in the bell for clutch RPM? Is there room in a stock depth bell? I am leaning toward a Quick Time bell.
Goog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts
Default Re: Data collection

under the front bearing retainer that way you have 2 channels ---one for engine rpm and one for trans rpm---comp387
FED 387 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
Goog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My question is, can that apparatus be squeezed into a stock depth bell housing? - Goog
Old 12-12-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
Goog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Members only!

What a clique! Thanks for all your help. I will not post here again. It's obviously too much trouble for you guys to post a simple "yes" or a "no", so I give up. I am very confident that one of you experienced, intelligent gentlemen know the answer to my question, but you all read my post and move on. I have been lurking here for a while and learned a lot. I've seen some silly questions get a ton of responses. But If a stranger asks, the plug gets pulled. That's fine with me, I'm out. There's obviously not room for one more member in this clique! But,now that I know the deal here, I don't want admittance. - Tom

Last edited by Goog; 12-14-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
tj310

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Goog yes, nice tantrum.
tj310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:39 AM   #6
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts
Exclamation Re: Data collection

Look, "Goog" Not a lot of people run the sensor up there, but it is a better deal if you do. I would think it would fit, most drill into the bearing retainer and input then it would fit. Depending upon the trans and data collection device you have, you might be able to buy it. Most just go the easiest route and put the collar on the driveshaft and use rpm input from the ignition.

Suggestion:
Why don't you start out by telling the general public on the forum (that you expect this response from) more about yourself and the car you are assembling. Maybe tell the experts why you are looking for an urgent response. Maybe offer an appreciated but hopeful deadline if it is needed. Some alternative contacts like e mail phone, etc.

Remember, less than 10 percent of the racers in Stock and Superstock run a stick so your expectation (which apparently was F'in immediate) is probably not a reasonable one .

I don't think it is fair to anyone to throw out such requests with no stated expectation and then go nuts on people when you don't get what you want. I saw your last post in May and it was the same whiny response from you when you said you were buying an auto trans.

I have no expectations with regard to a response, but if you do read this and you are building a SSDM with a stick I think that is a cool deal. I sure don't know it all, but I have run Modified stick shift cars and do also run a stick shift stocker. I think stick guys generally help each other out, but we don't have time to lurk on the forum every day. I work 6 days a week this time of year and am trying to fit in some time for the race car with what is left. I am leaving to go do this today, so you can feel free to e mail me at jimschaechter@earthlink.net or if you need an immediate response, call me at 563-505-0293. If I can't answer your questions, I will refund your money! LOL.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

12/11/09 - Goog's question posted.
1 hour, 8 minutes later, a response.
36 minutes later, Goog clarify's his question.
approximately 24 hours later, goog's tantrum.
approximately 10 hours later James post's great response.

pretty quick responses in my book!
Old 12-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #8
MOTORSPORTS Innovations

Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts

As FED says the correct way is one on the input shaft and one on the pinion.

A lot of your questions will be supplied by your trans & clutch supplier. For instance the Jericho will come all set to take the Racepak sensor .

Here is an info sheet from RP that is pretty informative. Call if you need any help.

MOTORSPORTS Innovations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:03 PM   #9
Rod Greene

Liked 204 Times in 72 Posts

It also helps if you post with a real name.
To really check what the clutch is doing aren't three sensors required? One for engine rpm one for input shaft rpm to ck clutch slippage and one for driveshaft rpm to see if you are spinning the tires. If i ever get around to finishing my Challenger it will have a data recorder on board.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:53 AM   #10
Sean Marconette

Liked 165 Times in 60 Posts

Rod you are correct. BTW Look into the Computech DataMaxx system. It will give you clutch slip %. The key to getting the input shaft speed is ordering the trans with the magnet already installed in the input shaft.

Hope this helps.

Sean Marconette
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote