HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-27-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
D.Johns

Liked 17 Times in 6 Posts
Default EFI Systems

I have been looking at my options for aftermarket EFI systems for my car. After navigating through each of the systems at the PRI show and speaking with some people I'm getting closer to my decision.

I'm leaning towards the Holley Dominator system. I feel like it's user friendly, well layed out, fast processor self learning and they offer training courses at BG. Big Stuff 3 is number 2 on my list with its new system that will be available in the next few months.

What is everyone else preferences and why? Pros and Cons?

Thanks in advanced for the feed back.
2014 Cobra Jet FS/XX #3345 STK/SS

Like us on http://www.facebook.com/pages/Daniel...25886327426822
D.Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,494 Times in 426 Posts
Default Re: EFI Systems

FAST seems to be very easy to use and has great customer service and support. Seems like a lot of guys use it and you can get assistance at the track.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:17 PM   #3
fordteacherguy

Liked 147 Times in 47 Posts

Look for features such as individual cylinder tuning/timing good graphing recording/ + ease of active tuning. I have a older commander 950 system and it work's ok, but missing some of these modern system features.

I like where Big stuff uses a floating background that show where you are on your fuel map when you are looking at live data. Can't comment on FAST systems.
fordteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #4
pbp1

Liked 18 Times in 5 Posts

In the name of Full Disclosure, I work for FAST so I am biased. I just thought I would let you know about some of our features.
The FAST XFI 2.05 system has internal datalogging with the overlay function mentioned above. This allows you to "see" exactly where you were in any fuel or spark table at a given point in a datalog. This is very helpful in using datalog data to refine your tune.
The XFI features dual 25mHZ processors so it can make calculations at a speed of up to 50,000 times per second. That would be 500,000 calculations and fuel / spark decisions per 10 second run.
In coil on plug applications, you can use the dwell control feature to dial in the optimum amount of dwell time for your coils to find the best balance between power and coil life. The coil dwell has two tables that will change the dwell with battery voltage, and throttle position.
The XFI 2.05 features a 3d table that allows you to perfect your individual cyll corrections over the entire RPM range, not just one correction applied at all RPMs, but dynamic correction that allows you to match the changing airflow characteristics as RPMs change.
The XFI 2.05 also features fuel pressure compensation. The need for this comes from the fact that any EFI system uses a constant fuel flow number, you have to tell the ECU what size injector you have and the ECU assumes that that injector flow is constant, but in the real world, injector flow rates vary as the fuel pressure varries causing un-planned corrections needed from the ECU. The XFI monitors fuel pressure and constantly adjusts the reported injector flow rate as fuel pressure changes.
The proven true Speed Density strategy that FAST uses is super consistent. I personally tuned three class winners at the US nationals this year using our Load Indexed Speed Density Strategy and it was a breeze because no real adjustments were needed, even using tuneups from other tracks and different atmospheric conditions. It is so consistent because it uses air temperature and air pressure as part of it's base calculations. Once you get a tune dialed in for your combo, there is no need to go in and "Re-Dial it in" when you go to a different track with different altitude, barometer, and temperature.
This year at the US Nationals, I had a total of 15 class winners in Super Stock, and 5 class winners in stock. Nick Morris went on to win Super Stock and PB Candies made the fastest SS pass with a 7.859. I had every combo including L98, LT1, LS1, LS2, Modular Ford, Pushrod Ford, Oldsmobile, and Late Model Hemi in our list of class winners.
Our tech support team provides on track support at many points meets and Sports National events and I credit our success at Indy to years of helping customers and building relationships.
All of the major EFI systems available today will get the job done for you. If anyone tells you their system will make more power than another, run! Do your research, listen to your fellow racers, and make your best decision. Our track record speaks for itself. If you have any questions, I would be glad to answer them and Ill shoot you straight.
Also, FAST will offer Training Courses at our headquarters in Memphis.
Thanks
David Page
FAST

Last edited by pbp1; 12-27-2014 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Mispelling, Omitted info
pbp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:49 PM   #5
Rat Raceway

Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Rat Raceway

Vote for the Holley Dominator system here.

Very easy to use and the support has been second to none.

You can also use the HP system if you don't need as many inputs or outputs. If you start with the HP and need more down the road all harnesses and tunes move right over to the Dominator.

The training class was great too.
Rat Raceway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:54 PM   #6
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

FAST XFI has everything you mentioned there. Great support if you need it, even at the track at major events. I have worked with most systems out there, and personally the new Holley Dominator would be my second choice. FAST for sure is my first choice.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:40 PM   #7
D.Johns

FAST is certainly an consideration also. I didn't find much info at the PRI show so I wasn't really able to lay hands on it. I know Ernie and Dave run FAST and they like the system. I'm not sure what version they have but next time I'm out at their shop I may try to see if I can get the feel of it.

Is the FAST system able to run the Ford Mudular Coil on Plug system? The older modular COP had issues running above 8,250rpm. The new stuff seems to run a little better but some still switch to the LS coils.

I've ditched the drive by wire throttle body and the variable cam timing. It will be turning well north of 8,250rpm

Old 12-27-2014, 09:17 PM   #8
pbp1

If you are talking about Ernie Neal, we upgraded to version 2.05 at Indy. All of our updates are made available at no charge.
The XFI can run a Modular Ford with stock coils, LS coils, or the IGN -1A coils which work very well at high boost levels. As far as an RPM limit, the only thing I am aware of is on the coyote engine, there was an issue with the factory trigger wheel and Ford came out with this "High Rpm" version.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:35 PM   #9
pbp1

I hate that we didn't connect at PRI. I would have been glad to go through the software with you.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:22 PM   #10
D.Johns

Yes I was referring to Ernie and Dave Neal.

I have the high rpm pulse ring from Ford Racing for my engine. It's the supercharged coyote for Stock eliminator. It also uses a manual transmission.

It's been a slow process for me to build the car from the ground up. Tony Bischoff is building the engine. I'm trying to get all the little odds and end items squared away before May season opener. EFI system is one of the pieces I have to get taken care of before we hit the dyno. I've mainly only messed around with factory computers on all my other projects except for the Anderson Motorsport PMS. I understand a lot of what's going on and performing most of the calculations based off of formulas. Was wanting a system that was simple enough to pick up quickly, grow with system going deeper into tuning and also have a capabilty to adjust to different combinations of powerplants.

I'll look more into the FAST system to see what questions I may have like injector drivers etc.... The tech/customer service is a big deal for me. Holley seemed good when I was talking to them at the show. Now it appears FAST also has that. BS3 I'm unsure about...

It seems everyone has their own preference. For the most part no one has anything bad to say about another system. When talking to some guys about the only one some said to stay away from was megasquirt(didn't ask why nor did I check out their system first hand)

Last edited by D.Johns; 12-27-2014 at 10:27 PM.