HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-21-2023, 10:20 AM   #11
Shake & Bake

Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Default Re: My time in Ohio

Remember when the staging lanes (2) were in front of the grandstands?
Shake & Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 10:49 AM   #12
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 845 Times in 296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake & Bake View Post
Remember when the staging lanes (2) were in front of the grandstands?
Sure. It was called "Hot Car Staging". On the Night of Fires on July 4th weekends we would sit down on the blacktop with our racecar's tires being a backstop for our backs and watch the jet cars not 100 feet in front of us. What a rush. On the once a month Wednesday night "Super Gas Nights' the SG cars ran out of those two lanes and were showcased. On the regular Bracket racing weekends Super Pro ran out of those two lanes.
Old 12-21-2023, 11:56 AM   #13
Ernie Neal

Liked 301 Times in 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Niceswanger View Post
Anyone remember all the tech being done at the now defunct Eastland Mall instead of at the track before the Springnationals?
Jeff, I remember those days. I also remember the springs being a full field of 128, had to qualify to get in.
I always thought it was good teching at those malls, in that it possibly encouraged locals to come out to the track. The downside, more miles and time for participants.

Ernie
SS 354
Ernie Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 01:18 PM   #14
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 845 Times in 296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Neal View Post
Jeff, I remember those days. I also remember the springs being a full field of 128, had to qualify to get in.
I always thought it was good teching at those malls, in that it possibly encouraged locals to come out to the track. The downside, more miles and time for participants.

Ernie
SS 354
Laying back behind the facility is what is left of the old pedestrian bridge that went across the middle of the staging lanes. Across the entire length of the bridge spelled .......
ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE. I can remember saying a few swear words towards Rader as I drove underneath. Awww F* You Rader comes to mind. LOL LOL
(It's now spelled under the short tunnel at the ready line... )

Last edited by Jeff Niceswanger; 12-21-2023 at 10:07 PM.
Jeff Niceswanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 09:56 AM   #15
Andy Friar

Liked 220 Times in 72 Posts

Justin, cool that you took the time to visit the Col on your trip back east. I have watched the same Diamond P vids over the years.

First time my Dad raced a Nat event in his SC Dragster was at Columbus. in the mid/early 90's. Me, him and his best friend Bill Gerald went down from Michigan. What a weekend. Mechanical throttle stop equipped and still set it at #1 on the qual sheet w/ a 8.900 & .000 rt. The pride we all felt when we we got announced as the #1 qual as he was sitting to make his R1 bye, was amazing. Went 5 rds and put a 2 div champs and a nat champ on the trailer that day. Also remember how funny it was we had to mow out pit spot like everyone else out in the back 40...
Old 12-22-2023, 11:19 AM   #16
JLensch

Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts

Thank you for sharing! I too remember watching VHS tapes of Diamond P NHRA races and being so hype when I actually got to visit a track that I only got to see on TV. My favorite was going to Atlanta the first time and remembering the Bob Glidden crash from the 80’s and it being on “And they walked away” Still mind blowing all those years later!
JLensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-25-2023, 01:17 PM   #17
Craig Dawson

Liked 77 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Niceswanger View Post
Anyone remember all the tech being done at the now defunct Eastland Mall instead of at the track before the Springnationals?
I do remember that...worked there with a buddy of mine in 1978 greeting the racers and showing them which lane to get in for their class. Joe Dill asked me if I would work the tech lines a couple of weeks earlier when I went to Bowling Green for the Sports Nationals. Joe was working the scales that day. Met many racers but the one I have a vivid memory of was Judy Lily!
Craig Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-25-2023, 05:42 PM   #18
4284spd
VIP Member

Liked 4,106 Times in 929 Posts

I was in Norwalk last June and went down to Trails for a TnT. Pretty cool place!
DSC_0234 by Bob Smith, on Flickr