HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #1
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Question 1969 camaro hood

I heard a rumor that NHRA changed the hood rule for 1969 Camaro's. Is it true that unless you have a 427 or a Z-28 302 you have to run the flat hood now in stock or Super Stock?
Has someone lost their mind at NHRA or is this just bad information? I had heard Paul Forte at Turbo Action has had it with NHRA due to this ruling.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:47 AM   #2
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts
Default Re: 1969 camaro hood

Terry, NHRA changed the rule last year. You can't run the cowl hood on a 350/255 combo anymore.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Thumbs down Re: 1969 camaro hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Terry, NHRA changed the rule last year. You can't run the cowl hood on a 350/255 combo anymore.
Well Im convinced that NHRA is stupid now. My neighbors son had a white with hounds tooth interior 255 HP (not a 300) hard top Camaro when new in 1969 and it had a cowl hood. I did the heads on it for him and they were #441's I remember very well looking it over at the time and my long term memory is still very good. All of the crap NHRA allows today and they pull stunts like this. Its crazy but I don't have a dog in the hunt. I was just asking. Enjoy !!!!!
Old 02-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #4
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
I heard a rumor that NHRA changed the hood rule for 1969 Camaro's. Is it true that unless you have a 427 or a Z-28 302 you have to run the flat hood now in stock or Super Stock?
Has someone lost their mind at NHRA or is this just bad information? I had heard Paul Forte at Turbo Action has had it with NHRA due to this ruling.
I spoke to Paul about this issue at Orlando. Paul said he would not be running any NHRA races due to this deal. I told Paul I had a flat hood that I would give him to run if he wanted. Maybe he will take me up on the offer. Paul is a class act.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:45 AM   #5
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
Well Im convinced that NHRA is stupid now. My neighbors son had a white with hounds tooth interior 255 HP (not a 300) hard top Camaro when new in 1969 and it had a cowl hood. I did the heads on it for him and they were #441's I remember very well looking it over at the time and my long term memory is still very good. All of the crap NHRA allows today and they pull stunts like this. Its crazy but I don't have a dog in the hunt. I was just asking. Enjoy !!!!!
I thought you had come to that conclusion a long time ago?

I agree. Toward the end of '69 production that ran into 1970, there were lots of those built. Remember the thousands of pace car painted convertibles and hardtops (with the ugly orange and black houndstooth interiors) that all had ZL2 hoods? In the fall of '69, I looked at dealerships for a friend who was wanting one with a 300hp engine or a 396 and the first four I looked at were 255hp equipped. The best is the car my brother ordered from Cliff Peck Chevrolet in Little Rock with a 350-255, four speed, ZL2 hood, F42 suspension, positrac and spoilers to beat the insurance cost of the SS. Car was delivered in July of 1969 just before he went into the Army.
Dwight Southerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:51 PM   #6
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,232 Times in 596 Posts

I know I am late to the party and don't have a dog in this hunt. With all the things that are allowed in STOCK now, why is there an issue with this car/hood combo????? Personally, I think the cars look better with the cowl hood on it. Is there any weight difference between the 2 hoods (stock vs. cowl)?? Also, as long as it's not functional, would there be any performance advantage to the cowl hood?? Just my 2 cents which, in today's economy, ain't worth much. - - Just sayin'
Old 02-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #7
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Thumbs down Re: 1969 camaro hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy49 View Post
I know I am late to the party and don't have a dog in this hunt. With all the things that are allowed in STOCK now, why is there an issue with this car/hood combo????? Personally, I think the cars look better with the cowl hood on it. Is there any weight difference between the 2 hoods (stock vs. cowl)?? Also, as long as it's not functional, would there be any performance advantage to the cowl hood?? Just my 2 cents which, in today's economy, ain't worth much. - - Just sayin'
The cowl induction hood is slightly heavier due to the extra steel in it. Dwight is correct in his prior post.....I figured it out MANY MANY years ago that NHRA had their heads up their butts on a lot of things. Some things they do right but that was before Wally Parks passed away. NHRA had Marty Barrett and Greg X. to keep tech straight. I used to keep my membership up to date to get the National RAGster but I let slide probably 8 or 10 years ago so I haven't kept up with many of the rules changes such as this hood deal. Kind of funny when they allow the 1964 A/FX fiberglass hood on 1964 Comets today in S/S. The paper kept getting worse each year.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #8
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Really sad how the tech department spends how many hours pouring over the books to rule on a car from 1969. Could it be an honest attempt to get rid of them? Could that be the same reason they took the 71 vette hood? Next they will find 255 hp wasnt available in 68, or in a camaro. Wrong they will just move to another group of racers to harrass. It is amazing to me how a "Business" like NHRA spends so much time on agitation of paying racers when they could attract many more with clarity, consistency, and openness....
Good Luck Class Nationals. Maybe this can become THE racing association of the next generation...

Maybe a list of bogus rules would be fun. You know each racer add the change they have seen which was factually wrong. Add your examples

Last edited by Dick Butler; 02-12-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:53 PM   #9
John Musial

Liked 51 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Can you run the 350/255 with the hood if you ran the car in SS/GT class?
John Musial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:27 PM   #10
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Musial View Post
Can you run the 350/255 with the hood if you ran the car in SS/GT class?
I would say yes.

Now, let's go through this one more time, the 69 Camaro was only available with the 350/255 until Dec 31 1968 and it was only available in a base car. The ZL-2 hood became an option on a 69 Camaro SS on Jan. 1 69. The standard engine in a Camaro SS is a 350/300.
The first 69 Camaro to get a ZL-2 hood is ZL-1 #1 built in Norwood although there is supposedly a documented Z-28 with a ZL-2 hood that was built in Los in late Dec.
There were no Pace Cars built with the 350/255 engine as all Pace Cars were SSs and would have had a 350/300 as the base engine.
And if you don't believe me, ask Tom Kasch to post some early pictures of Stockers and Super Stock 69 Camaros and you will notice that all of the 350/255 cars have flat hoods.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote