HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-26-2017, 12:04 AM   #51
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 502 Times in 125 Posts
Default Re: Let's have a discussion about setting records

Well, I'm glad I said I have thick skin in my emails to fellow racers about my proposal to NHRA. Fellow racers certainly can be haters......oh well...luckily it as just a.few most have been real positive and appreciative of my efforts.
Ed Carpenter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:32 AM   #52
Don Anderson

Liked 22 Times in 7 Posts
Talking Re: Let's have a discussion about setting records

Thanks Ed !!
I like what you have on the table for Record setters !!
Don Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:48 AM   #53
killintime6968

Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts

I think this a great idea. Maybe we will start to see more record runs like in the old days. Getting a grade point and or bonus points would be a good incentive. If I could get my own s--t together I would try regardless.

Bruce Cameron
1968 Nova 396 E/S
1968 Camaro SS/I
killintime6968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:32 AM   #54
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts

Ed,
Something that everybody at NHRA and the track owners are missing is the Promotional aspect. The Divisional track owners have a tool to draw spectators if they would use it. Records aren't just for drawing racers.
NHRA sells the divisional packages to track owners. NHRA is slighting the package by not selling the idea of tracks having record competition.
Back in the day Green Valley would advertise that XXX records were set at the track. It is a tool to put butts in the stands, if track owners would use it as promotion.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:09 AM   #55
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

I'm with you, Ed. Points for setting records. There is enough history that the major pitfalls can be avoided and a policy that is effective in today's championship program can be crafted. Possibly include points for class wins at certain national races like Indy or the Sportsnationals. The national and divisional championship programs for sportsman racers can be a much bigger promotional tool and benefit than they are currently and promotion is the path to more spectators and bigger purses.

NHRA will have to consider that they will have to have trained tech crews at the races to support the validation of the records, and that seems to be something they are moving the other direction on. Any suggestions to help NHRA build and support a tech team for that?
Old 05-26-2017, 09:17 AM   #56
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 502 Times in 125 Posts

If I haven't asked you yet please send me quick email to trooper10538@netzero.com so I will have yours. I will send you a copy of my proposal. I have received a lot of feedback. Please feel free to provide yours. I did abandoned the idea of having class at 3 races per year in each division. Feedback was negative.

Last edited by Ed Carpenter; 05-26-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Ed Carpenter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:34 AM   #57
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Carpenter View Post
The records page is full of minimums. To me that's a sad deal. I think incentives needs to be put out there to encourage more record settings.

1. Gain points for setting records 25 for et/10 for speed (only two a year) must pass teardown.

2. Points for qualifying in top 10. 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 you get the idea. This will encourage people to run hard and maybe the ahfs will actually come into play.

3. Bonus points at thr end of the year for top 10 drivers who average under the index (farthest under) throughout the season. Minimum 50 qualifed runs.

4. More notoriety in ND. Car owner,driver,engine builder,sponsors etc. Lets get some publicity.

Another Idea:

How about implementing class at divisionals. This is suppose to be performance based. Well lets get back to performance!

Automatic hits needs to be moved to 1.10 under from 1.20.

Just my thoughts. Maybe some sponsorship for records. Don't roll you damn eyes saying it can't. Be done. I found 23 sponsors to sponsor one class (SS/K) totaling 7000k in cash,products, and services for one race. I'm a.nobody in racing. Hell 75% of you on here have no idea who I am. But with my determination I made.it happen. Get some big wigs involved and I bet some nice sponsorship could be put together for records etc.

What's everyone's opinion? I'm a state trooper so I'm thick skinned I can take it.

Ed Carpenter
All great ideas.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #58
snoopybob

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Angry Re: Let's have a discussion about setting records

Your point #4 is one of my pet peeves about NHRA. They save about 2 cents (ink) on each issue of ND ( which is already a comic book) by omitting our advertising, sponsor info. That's why we don't set records anymore. Besides: if you set it more than 1.0 second under, you throw up the flag for horsepower. I hate NHRA !
snoopybob is offline   Reply With Quote