HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 05-21-2017, 06:51 PM   #1
stocker396

Liked 56 Times in 14 Posts
Question Beadlock wheels on a stocker? Why or why not?

Noticing high HP small tire cars going to beadlock type wheels but not so much in stock/super stock. Why not? The Small tire grudge guys run on radials too... Any advantage or disadvantage? Thinking on new wheels soon trying to think ahead...
Old 05-21-2017, 09:01 PM   #2
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,452 Times in 540 Posts
Default Re: Beadlock wheels on a stocker? Why or why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocker396 View Post
Noticing high HP small tire cars going to beadlock type wheels but not so much in stock/super stock. Why not? The Small tire grudge guys run on radials too... Any advantage or disadvantage? Thinking on new wheels soon trying to think ahead...
Beadlocks wheels are required when you have a very high power engine to prevent the tire from rotating in the rim such as Top Sportsman, Pro Stock, etc... and when the rules require them.

The small tire guys run pseudo street radials and use beadlock wheel to stretch and keep the tire on the rim. Nevertheless, I have seen a few small tire guys go fast without beadlocks.

Over than the "cool" look, as applicable to a Stock or Super Stock car, they are not necessary. They are also heavier and many drill the wheels and use screws to retain the tie to the rim in lieu of using beadlocks.

Save your money and use standard lightweight wheels like everyone else.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:46 PM   #3
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

In my case I wanted a standard wheel for the El Camino like we have on the Camaro, but alas Champion Wheel will not build a non-beadlock rim anymore. I had already made my mind up for the Champions regardless...absolutely love the wheels.

Mine on the El Camino are single beadlock...can't say how much weight it added to the package. I can say it is a pleasure not needing a tire machine to install the tires.

Old 05-27-2017, 01:27 PM   #4
Barry Polley

Liked 538 Times in 222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
Beadlocks wheels are required when you have a very high power engine to prevent the tire from rotating in the rim such as Top Sportsman, Pro Stock, etc... and when the rules require them.

The small tire guys run pseudo street radials and use beadlock wheel to stretch and keep the tire on the rim. Nevertheless, I have seen a few small tire guys go fast without beadlocks.

Over than the "cool" look, as applicable to a Stock or Super Stock car, they are not necessary. They are also heavier and many drill the wheels and use screws to retain the tie to the rim in lieu of using beadlocks.

Save your money and use standard lightweight wheels like everyone else.
Really? With the 1000+++ hp stockers here and a stuck 10 inch (9) tire, ( zero wheel speed) there is no reason not to run Bead Locks. 140- 150 on a std rim?? It becomes a safety issue. Not many will give up maybe a hundredth for a safe tire and rim combo. My A car moves the tire .250 +/- more per pass with a best of 1.29 60 foot and average bracket mode of 1.31-1.32. I have tried other rims, glue etc... still moves and is best just clean. As we know... No screws in radials... I have see AA cars move them more than we do. How many people actually look?
Thanks Stocker 396, I am looking at Beads..
Old 05-27-2017, 03:37 PM   #5
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,452 Times in 540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Polley View Post
Really? With the 1000+++ hp stockers here and a stuck 10 inch (9) tire, ( zero wheel speed) there is no reason not to run Bead Locks. 140- 150 on a std rim?? It becomes a safety issue. Not many will give up maybe a hundredth for a safe tire and rim combo. My A car moves the tire .250 +/- more per pass with a best of 1.29 60 foot and average bracket mode of 1.31-1.32. I have tried other rims, glue etc... still moves and is best just clean. As we know... No screws in radials... I have see AA cars move them more than we do. How many people actually look?
Thanks Stocker 396, I am looking at Beads..
Yes really.

If it was a safety issue, NHRA would have addressed the issue.

I spent half a day with Rick Bogart of Bogart Wheels discussing racing wheels. The discussion went on his experiences from the manufacturing side and the input he gets from racing engineers and I share my experience as an aerospace engineer in the different types of aluminum material grades and treatments.

The main problem with drag racing wheels is that racers always want to purchase the lightest wheel available without taking in to consideration the weight of the car. The correct rim wall thickness comes in to play and it is very important.

This is the reason why Bogart Wheels has many different rim wall thicknesses for the same wheel designs and its use is based on the application. He learned his lessons from many wheels that in the past have cracked and got damaged from constant wheelstands on heavy cars such as Stock, Super Stock and bracket cars.

Under a hard launch, if the rim wall thickness is not appropriate, the wheel will deflect and the tire bead will have the tendency to separate. It will also fatigue the wheel. As a matter of fact, any aluminum lightweight racing wheel will eventually suffer of fatigue due to use and cycles.

When the wheels for my Comp Eliminator car were built, Rick showed me the difference between a Comp Eliminator dragster wheel when compared to the wall thickness he was going to use on my Super Modified car. Even when he builds wheels for a dragster, there is a difference on the wheel wall thickness between a V-8 and V-6 powered dragster.

Still, if you want to go with Beadlocks, that's your and any other racer's prerogative.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:05 AM   #6
Bill Diehl

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

I was one of the first if not the first to have champion convert a set of welds to beadlocks back in 1999 on my outlaw 10.5 car...the reason...... they were 14" wide, and like said above the tire was "stretched" to fit. actually the shop owner were I worked part time thought the idea I was the guinea pig....of course all the "experts" said it would not work well...nevertheless, it became the norm for those types of cars over the years
Old 05-29-2017, 08:28 AM   #7
Alan Nyhus
VIP Member

Liked 761 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocker396 View Post
Weld offers a knurled finished lip when you can't or don't want to use screws. -Al
Old 05-29-2017, 10:29 AM   #8
Todd Geisler

Liked 345 Times in 149 Posts

Whether or not the beadlocks is needed is personal choice imo.

I've been 1.12 60' on a 275 radial and no beadlocks. Never had an issue.

I chose beadlocks so I could swap tires at home...convenience and a time saver.

I've not seen a performance difference due to the weight of beadlocks. We're talking about 4 to 5 lbs more for a double beadlocks wheel. I've changed from one tire (24 lbs each) to a different brand that was 36 lbs. No performance loss and the tire weight is at a much larger circ. than a beadlock.

Also, NEVER use run screws on a radial tire. Here is why...

Todd Geisler is offline   Reply With Quote