HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-19-2017, 08:08 PM   #41
joespanova

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Default Re: new combo missing a bunch of power?

O.P...........
You never said anything about cranking pressure , what's it pump?
joespanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:13 AM   #42
pfordamx

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I'll hopefully find out how much it pumps this weekend inbetween work and my son's birthday i didn't get to touch the car last weekend.

Thanks for all the input. i'll get back with compression test #s as soon as i can.
pfordamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:31 AM   #43
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

Are you running the same carburetor?
Old 05-26-2017, 03:08 PM   #44
pfordamx

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

The car has only been ran with one carburetor we do have another carb we could test. but this combo has only seen one carb so far and its new so its not a proven deal. we do have another carb we could test in its place but i'm thinking the carb could be way off and it should still be better than it is.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:23 PM   #45
Hacksaw

Liked 276 Times in 151 Posts

I know two posts already stated this, but have you checked for WOT. Put someone in the car and work the throttle as you check it under the hood.
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:00 PM   #46
pfordamx

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Yes wide open throttle has been confirmed.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:12 PM   #47
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 502 Times in 125 Posts

Timing? If we take out 10 degrees our car is .90 slower
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:06 AM   #48
pfordamx

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

worked on the car today and have seemingly struck a possible major part of the issue. first off we ran a compression test the variance was from 210-214 i think this roughly were it should be. verified tdc, phased in the distributor. and pulled out the msd digital 6 and blaster 2 in favor of 7al2 and HVC pro power coil and installed new spark plugs and plug wires. the spark plugs are the interesting part after talking with our carb builder on the phone today and sending him pictures of used plugs he calls back and says i didn't even look at the electrode and i can tell you your problem. those are a number 7 resistor plug you need a none resistor plug, that plug is way too cold and he gave me a part# for the proper plug. and the difference was immediately noticeable we don't have track #s to confirm its fixed but god it sounds crisper and is way less fat it actually seemed to burn the fuel it was the biggest difference i've ever seen in a motor the idle went up it was previously set at 1200 and it was trying to idling 2k this could be partially timing we set it as close as we could without the motor on but didn't verify with a light yet. but it was like a happier more rev happy engine all around hopefully get to go test and tune friday.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:35 PM   #49
pfordamx

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

took car out this weekend and new plugs uncovered lean condition car was popping at high rpm on the first pass went a 12.00 at 109, not much difference so we made a drastic jet change went from 104 square to 110 square, tried it again car went 11.42 at 116 obviously liked the fuel but we didn't have any more jet with us called carb builder and he said if we had some to put a .021 bleed in it or put more jet in it but its all ready on the high side of normal. didn't have either at the track or house. So we took the car home took off the 4150 and swapped on a dominator that we had modified for e85 by mark sullens. and went back the next day but all they were running was 1/8th so we decided to run a 7.00 index class the car went 7.18 at 93 the previous evening figured if it picked up a number it wouldn't be that far off. anyhow first pass off the trailer went 6.86 at 99 thought thats awsome 3 tenths in the eighth now thinking we need to slow down lowered the shift point 500 went 6.86 at 99 agian lowered it another 500 but it cooled off a bit and went 6.80 at 101 finally took 5 degrees of timing out and went 6.90 left it there went two rounds 60fts were in the 1.48 to 1.51 and it blew the tires off in the last round i'm not actually sure why. anyhow its still a vast improvement and the cars still isn't where it should be but its a much better starting point. and well be sending our 4150 e85 carb to mr sullens to fix the builder who i won't slander mistakes. odd part is dominator picked up almost .4 and 8 mph in the 1/8th with 103 jets that came in it so theres obivous fuel flow issues in the other carb and the dominator didn't drink near as much fuel as the other 4150.