HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #21
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Cool Re: Mid-year horsepower posted @ nhra.com

You should have to win class to run the eliminator like when I was racing up until around 1978. If you dont win class then you dont deserve to run the eliminator. The AHFS would take care of those underrated HP factors in a hurry if they did that and put the PERFORMANCE back into stock and S/S. Just my 2 1/2 cents.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #22
Tony Janes

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Mid-year horsepower posted @ nhra.com

I do not agree with that. I would say at this time neither does NHRA.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #23
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,063 Times in 281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
You should have to win class to run the eliminator like when I was racing up until around 1978. If you dont win class then you dont deserve to run the eliminator. The AHFS would take care of those underrated HP factors in a hurry if they did that and put the PERFORMANCE back into stock and S/S. Just my 2 1/2 cents.
That takes it a bit too far, Terry. It would never survive that. Those of us who have to race the new killers would never show up. No way you can justify paying what it costs to go to a race knowing you don't have a prayer of getting to a nickel of payout money. It'd take twice as long to get the AHFS to work.

If they'd run class everywhere, go to 1 pound weight breaks, and most importantly, make it pay money and points to win class and qualify well, then you'd see performance come back and the AHFS start working.

That wouldn't force a situation where most of the cars would never make it to the final eliminations. Because if you did that, you'd keep most people home and kill the whole thing in a year.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:08 PM   #24
countrypuppy4865

Liked 183 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
That would be the smart thing that way all A-E cars can just stay home unless you have a drag pak or cobra jet. As bad as the economy is this would end stock/ss racing. We are in 2010 not 1978. Things will change over time. This will never happen.
countrypuppy4865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #25
Jared Jordan

Liked 225 Times in 70 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jared Jordan

Can someone enlighten me as to the advantages of a 1 lb. weight break? I fail to see how that fixes anything. Sounds DECENT for a lower horsepower car that might have to add 200-300 lbs to move between classes, but what about the high horsepower stuff?

Example:

'10 Super Cobra Jet rated @ 500 hp.

6.00 lb. class = 3170 lbs
7.00 lb. class = 3670 lbs

I for one would not like having to find/remove 500 lbs. of weight to change classes. Is that the idea? To keep people in one class?

I'll say this much: that'd keep the Belvedere locked away for the rest of its life. I can't get to 3170 and I don't feel like turning it into a lead sled.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #26
fredjohnston

Liked 55 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrypuppy4865 View Post
That would be the smart thing that way all A-E cars can just stay home unless you have a drag pak or cobra jet. As bad as the economy is this would end stock/ss racing. We are in 2010 not 1978. Things will change over time. This will never happen.
That says it all right there.

x-tech needs to get out of the 70s or go to the nostalgia drag racing board.
fredjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #27
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
That takes it a bit too far, Terry. It would never survive that. Those of us who have to race the new killers would never show up. No way you can justify paying what it costs to go to a race knowing you don't have a prayer of getting to a nickel of payout money. It'd take twice as long to get the AHFS to work.

If they'd run class everywhere, go to 1 pound weight breaks, and most importantly, make it pay money and points to win class and qualify well, then you'd see performance come back and the AHFS start working.

That wouldn't force a situation where most of the cars would never make it to the final eliminations. Because if you did that, you'd keep most people home and kill the whole thing in a year.
At the minimum, class wins, #1 qualifying position AND records should receive bonus points.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:49 PM   #28
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Mid-year horsepower posted @ nhra.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post

Well...... the money and GOOD jobs were hard to come by in 1977-78 also. I towed from Maryland about 16 hours to Bowling Green Ky for the sports Nats. in 1978..... Got beat in the final for class by Phil Hardee. Close race for the times. I think it was 10.97 to an 11.01 and I had a better light. Didnt get to run on Sunday. Lots of SS/IA cars in the class. Towed to Gainsville 14 hours for the Gators.....got beat in the semis for class. Didnt get to race on Sunday. Towed to Suffolk Raceway for a points race and the Little Guy Nationals later in the year. Guess what.....I got to run the eliminator and got beat but you never heard me whine or cry about getting out run by a bogus under rated combo. Yes even the 350/255 HP was factored by then.In relation to the money we made in 1977-78 and what gas cost Tell me WHATS DIFFERENT today? We accually RACED wide open for CLASS. We didnt dump at a 1000 ft. SS/IA was one of the most populated classes just as AA/SA and A/SA is today. I know it wont happen again today or tomorrow but its a "*******" way to race. Its not living back in the 78 era. Its called DRAG RACING ! Might as well run Super Pro and save the expense. If NHRA would get off thier ***** and get some people with brains and get the HP factors in line this AHFS crap and guarding your combs would not hold the fast cars as prisoners of their own stupidity and you could save money on shoe polish. . Im tired and just drove 12 hours and looking at 4-5 tomorrow so I can go to Carlise and the Nostalgia show in York Pa. after another 3 hours with a friend of mine Friday morning. I have NO sympathy for what the legal (if you can call it that) class racing has turned into. One Giant BRACKET RACE is all it is. Whats the percentage of heads up runs at most events? 2 to 4 % maybe. No wonder a lot of sponsors are getting out and your letting NHRA stick "IT" in deeper every time you guys bend over but Im stupid also if I can get out by next year. I sure as hell wont run at part throttle if it runs fast.

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 07-07-2010 at 07:39 PM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #29
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

I agree that that's a bit much to ask for shuffling weight. Well, then, a little common sense should be used. Fine, keep half-pound breaks for the very upper classes, then go to .75lb breaks a little further down, and then to full pound breaks. I have to move ridiculous amounts of weight to move classes in FWD, and sticks n' autos are combined. Y'all can do it, too, within reason. If classes have indexes that are the same or within .05, then they can be combined. I made a spreadsheet before that showed how you could readily combine a *significant* number of classes. Less classes = more heads-up runs or "class racing".

I find it odd/comical/sad that I'm the *bracket racer* here, and so many of the hard core "class racers" run screaming to protect their own interests when you actually try to do something to bring the class racing back to class racing. Too many of them like to just pretend they are performance-based racers. Pretty darn rare for me to do a 1000' dump in a bracket race!
Old 07-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #30
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,063 Times in 281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lee View Post
At the minimum, class wins, #1 qualifying position AND records should receive bonus points.
Thank you Jeff, I forgot about records. You're correct, records should be worth points.