Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-31-2015, 08:27 PM   #21
Rusty Gillis

Liked 87 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: 66 Fairlane Wagon Combination Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSale View Post
How does he turn a 66 into a 67? Flip it on CL?

Dale
Change the grille, headlight bezels and tailights
Old 08-31-2015, 09:52 PM   #22
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 937 Times in 258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gillis View Post
Change the grille, headlight bezels and tailights
.....and dash cluster, dash pad, steering column and wheel, emblems, side trim (depending on model), hood (if its GT/GTA...etc
There were also 2 versions of the 390 4 barrel engines available in 66-67 Fairlanes, the "Z" code engine had the Autolite carb and smaller cam, the "S" code engine was used in the GT/GTA models, came with the Holley carb and bigger cam.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:21 PM   #23
Bob Emery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Too bad a 289 2V doesn't stand a chance in any class, quite a few of them still around.
Bob Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:54 PM   #24
dmir55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

REMEMBER. They, NHRA, are not worried about the boosters in ANY carb in stock class! The Autolite carb has bolt in booster assemblies. You can find a multitude of booster assemblies for these carbs in any junk yard. The reason that NHRA allows this is because they let the injected cars use any injectors for fuel flow. A friend, former national record holder, pushed for this change. When we were in tear down they never measured the boosters. NHRA are only worried about the venture i.d. and the throttle plate size. The only booster not allowed is the tube type ,aka, shear booster.
dmir55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:35 AM   #25
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,431 Times in 1,952 Posts

427/410 with a stick! WAY WAY COOL
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:35 AM   #26
Rusty Gillis

Liked 87 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post
.....and dash cluster, dash pad, steering column and wheel, emblems, side trim (depending on model), hood (if its GT/GTA...etc
There were also 2 versions of the 390 4 barrel engines available in 66-67 Fairlanes, the "Z" code engine had the Autolite carb and smaller cam, the "S" code engine was used in the GT/GTA models, came with the Holley carb and bigger cam.
Rory do you really think NHRA would look that close to see if the dash and steering column was changed along with side trim?? I would remove all side trim. RJ Sledge ran without side trim until I sent him the trim from my Fairlane.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:03 AM   #27
Glenn Briglio
VIP Member

Liked 822 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmir55 View Post
REMEMBER. They, NHRA, are not worried about the boosters in ANY carb in stock class! The Autolite carb has bolt in booster assemblies. You can find a multitude of booster assemblies for these carbs in any junk yard. The reason that NHRA allows this is because they let the injected cars use any injectors for fuel flow. A friend, former national record holder, pushed for this change. When we were in tear down they never measured the boosters. NHRA are only worried about the venture i.d. and the throttle plate size. The only booster not allowed is the tube type ,aka, shear booster.
Is this for real?
Glenn Briglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:58 AM   #28
RJ Sledge

Liked 247 Times in 78 Posts

I agree with Rusty, with everything else that they letting get by I don't think they want to hassle with things like that. You can change factory seats with Kirkeys, different steering wheels, interior can be run with or without back seats, change year models with a pen etc. Stock Eliminator has progressed(?) to the point of no return and for several reasons. We are racing 50+ year old vehicles in a lot of cases and parts and supplies are not available at any cost.

I don't necessarily agree with it, but that's the way it is.....

Rusty, thanks again for your help, your SS car looks great and I hope it runs as good as it looks.

I need some more of that type trim for my other 67 2d Sedan if you have or know of any I would appreciate a heads up. I have a lot of 66/67 pieces if you need any.

Thanks

RJ
RJ Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:23 PM   #29
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 937 Times in 258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gillis View Post
Rory do you really think NHRA would look that close to see if the dash and steering column was changed along with side trim?? I would remove all side trim. RJ Sledge ran without side trim until I sent him the trim from my Fairlane.
Well, the question was how do you convert a 66 Fairlane to a 67, years ago, yes they would look that closely, but in recent years, its almost anything goes I`m afraid. Personally, I liked it better before all the NHRA "accepted" aftermarket aluminum heads, carbs, allowed lightweight components masquarading as "safety related", and "special" new cars that were never available to the public with the engines, transmissions, or rearends they can run in a so called STOCK class. Years ago, my buddys 69 Camaro SS/HA got bounced in Tech for having a SS emblem between the tail lights, but he had the addacity to to show up without the SS console. Now you can run a new Dodge Challanger with a Chevy Powerglide 2 speed, and a Ford 9" rearend and a V10 engine in Stock. My, how times have changed.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:25 PM   #30
Tgreen3724

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

sounds like the 67 390/315 is the consensus combination, im really excited for him to get started and being a chevy guy I must say I don't think he could have picked a cooler Ford.

Next question, who needs to do his heads and intake?
Tgreen3724 is offline   Reply With Quote