Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 10-06-2014, 03:47 PM   #11
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts
Default Re: Dan Fletcher Super Stock Videos - Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cad View Post
The bushing in my glide came out the rear while I was at Bandimere for ET Finals. The vibration was bad right on shutdown and deceleration. Nothing on acceleration. And it leaked, so it was noticeable when sitting.
When mine went bad also in a glide it only dripped a few drops in the trailer, only when I pulled the drive shaft out is when it was obvious what was wrong the bushing came out on the shaft. Be interesting to see what he finds. Mine started vibrating at about 1000'

Last edited by HR9121; 10-06-2014 at 03:49 PM.
HR9121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #12
Dave Turner
VIP Member

Liked 331 Times in 131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpoh815 View Post
I think its the loose nut.............behind the wheel!
Mike, you are the resaon I tune in to any thread involving Mr. Dan.
Dave Turner #3110
D & E/SA ‘72 Mustang
Dave Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:10 PM   #13
ATI Performance Products
Sponsor

Liked 9 Times in 1 Post

Dan needs to fill everyone in all the stuff he did already.....But from what I recall of our conversation....everything that spins under the car from the front to the back has been replaced or swapped other than the actual ring and pinion - although it had all new bearings put in trying to find this issue.

So strike Driveshaft, transmission, tires and wheels, axel bearings, carrier bearings, and I think front hubs too off the list!

I was left scratching my head and had a long shot theory for him but once the Ring and Pinion get changed that will take one other thing off the list.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #14
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts

Looking at the second video ,it appears that there is very little pinion angle.
It may be decieving due to the camera angle, but it looks fairly shallow.
Considering it looks like a 3" mild steel shaft ,harmonics are a possibility.
I would at least try increasing the angle by 1-11/2 degrees to see if it has any effect.
I used to deal with this type of transient vibration on Jeeps and usually small amounts of angle change corrected the problem.
I also noticed what appeared to be a small ammount of play in the u joint at about 27 seconds, but that might just be the camera angle.
One other thought, if the trans yoke is one of the Spicer forged pieces , I'd check to see if the splines are twisted.... I've had at least three of them on cars with enough twist to cause them to bind on the output shaft.

Last edited by Tom Goldman; 10-06-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Tom Goldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #15
CWhitney

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Have you tried a different driveshaft or just rebalanced the old one? I had a similar vibration on decal replaced the driveshaft and fixed the problem. The driveshaft just had to many runs on it. Just a thought
CWhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #16
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts

One other thought, I have had cars with shaft vibrations that turned out to be caused by pinion yoke runout caused by the seal spring having come off the seal during assembaly and were pinched between the yoke and the bearing.
caused as much as .060" runout at the rear of the shaft.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:16 PM   #17
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 456 Times in 172 Posts

I am sure that Dan has already figured it out and ready to go again. This is not a mystery for someone with 91 National Event wins.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:20 AM   #18
Dan Fletcher
Sponsor

Liked 961 Times in 61 Posts

I wish I had already figured it out! This is really starting to be frustrating! As JC said, I've changed most everything but the roof at this point, and nothing seems to change anything.

This all started at Charlotte, TT#1. I felt a vibration in the water and in the shutdown. Car was fine the previous race (Indy). Prior to Charlotte, I changed center sections, shocks, and rear calipers. Obviously, one thinks center right away. I had removed my 5.83 and installed a 6.20 at Indy. All I did was put it back in.The second the car vibrated in the water at Charlotte, I thought how did I mess up putting the driveshaft back in? It seemed like driveshaft for sure.

Since that run, its been a full bore effort to find the issue. At Charlotte, I had rear tire balance checked (OK), sent shaft out to a Fleet Pride to get inspected (said it had a slight bow/straightened/rebalanced), changed trans and converter, replaced perfectly good u-joints, broke tires down/shifted/re-balanced. No change.

At Columbus, made TT#1 to verify baseline. TT#2 replaced shaft with PERFECT MW unit from '69 stocker. No change.

Tested at a local 1/8 mile track the following Tuesday. It was like an episode of Street Outlaws. All over the track every run, but all I need is the burnout and up to speed. Baseline, then changed tires and wheels for run #2, still vibrates. Run #3, changed pinion angle. Now this can be a whole separate discussion, but I measured it how chassis builder Gary Wisecarver told me to, and we decided it might have a little too much. I didn't measure at the track, I just lengthened the top bars one full turn. No change. In retrospect, I wish I then went the other way a full turn, but I didn't. Put pinion angle back and changed rear shocks back to "original" ones. No Change. 4 runs in an hour and a half. Out.

Before MG, I pulled the center back out and took it to my local guy, Bernie O, who has done our rears since I was a little kid. I had him inspect and replace every bearing in the rear, even though no one felt anything was wrong. We also replaced one axle bearing that felt less than perfect.

First run at MG, no change. TT#2, replaced all the front wheel bearings, no change. TT#3, removed steering stabilizer shock, no change. Well, there was a change, the front tires went goofy when the car landed, lol. I had a single 2nd round of eliminations. I'm not saying we physically removed the rear calipers, but lets just say I'm 100% confident that the new rear calipers aren't involved in the issue after that run. Rd#3, changed right front tire/wheel, rd#4 changed left front tire/wheel. No change. Finished event as is.

So, the car is in the garage and what to do next. I'm going to remove every 4 link bar and carefully inspect the rod ends, but there's no way that's the source either. After that, I can only say ring and pinion, even though nothing appears wrong. So I probably have to put the 6.20 center back in, make a run, and go from there. If that doesn't fix it, I seriously have no idea what I'm going to do.

The car was perfect, and then its like you threw a switch...

DAN FLETCHER TRAILER SALES

Dan Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:28 AM   #19
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,636 Times in 506 Posts

Looks like you have tried most of the obvious things. Have you tried a different set of rear tires on the car? Could be some sort of tire issue that does not show up with balancing.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:37 AM   #20
Dan Fletcher
Sponsor

Liked 961 Times in 61 Posts

Run #2 on Street Outlaw night.

DAN FLETCHER TRAILER SALES

Dan Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote