HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-07-2014, 08:59 AM   #21
joespanova

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Default Re: Dan Fletcher Super Stock Videos - Opinions

Change engines..........may not even be driveline related.
joespanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #22
Chuck Comella

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fletcher View Post
I wish I had already figured it out! This is really starting to be frustrating! As JC said, I've changed most everything but the roof at this point, and nothing seems to change anything.

This all started at Charlotte, TT#1. I felt a vibration in the water and in the shutdown. Car was fine the previous race (Indy). Prior to Charlotte, I changed center sections, shocks, and rear calipers. Obviously, one thinks center right away. I had removed my 5.83 and installed a 6.20 at Indy. All I did was put it back in.The second the car vibrated in the water at Charlotte, I thought how did I mess up putting the driveshaft back in? It seemed like driveshaft for sure.

Since that run, its been a full bore effort to find the issue. At Charlotte, I had rear tire balance checked (OK), sent shaft out to a Fleet Pride to get inspected (said it had a slight bow/straightened/rebalanced), changed trans and converter, replaced perfectly good u-joints, broke tires down/shifted/re-balanced. No change.

At Columbus, made TT#1 to verify baseline. TT#2 replaced shaft with PERFECT MW unit from '69 stocker. No change.

Tested at a local 1/8 mile track the following Tuesday. It was like an episode of Street Outlaws. All over the track every run, but all I need is the burnout and up to speed. Baseline, then changed tires and wheels for run #2, still vibrates. Run #3, changed pinion angle. Now this can be a whole separate discussion, but I measured it how chassis builder Gary Wisecarver told me to, and we decided it might have a little too much. I didn't measure at the track, I just lengthened the top bars one full turn. No change. In retrospect, I wish I then went the other way a full turn, but I didn't. Put pinion angle back and changed rear shocks back to "original" ones. No Change. 4 runs in an hour and a half. Out.

Before MG, I pulled the center back out and took it to my local guy, Bernie O, who has done our rears since I was a little kid. I had him inspect and replace every bearing in the rear, even though no one felt anything was wrong. We also replaced one axle bearing that felt less than perfect.

First run at MG, no change. TT#2, replaced all the front wheel bearings, no change. TT#3, removed steering stabilizer shock, no change. Well, there was a change, the front tires went goofy when the car landed, lol. I had a single 2nd round of eliminations. I'm not saying we physically removed the rear calipers, but lets just say I'm 100% confident that the new rear calipers aren't involved in the issue after that run. Rd#3, changed right front tire/wheel, rd#4 changed left front tire/wheel. No change. Finished event as is.

So, the car is in the garage and what to do next. I'm going to remove every 4 link bar and carefully inspect the rod ends, but there's no way that's the source either. After that, I can only say ring and pinion, even though nothing appears wrong. So I probably have to put the 6.20 center back in, make a run, and go from there. If that doesn't fix it, I seriously have no idea what I'm going to do.

The car was perfect, and then its like you threw a switch...
Dan I would take a close look at the harmonic balancer
Chuck Comella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:03 AM   #23
Dan Fletcher
Sponsor

Liked 963 Times in 61 Posts

Engine off in shutdown.

DAN FLETCHER TRAILER SALES

Dan Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:08 AM   #24
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

"sent shaft out to a Fleet Pride to get inspected (said it had a slight bow/straightened/rebalanced), "

This right here gets my attention...

said it had a slight bow......and they straightened it and rebalanced it....

A driveshaft loves to get into a harmonic vibration so I would try another shaft......just to eliminate that possibility.

We had a brand new F-450 service truck that had a ridiculous vibration starting from a dead stop. It went back to the dealer and they shimmed the rear's pinion angle.......It did lesson the vibration but did not eliminate it.....I think they tried numerous other things before the pinion angle change....

Driveshaft is where I think your issue is......just from past experiences....
Old 10-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #25
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

Doesn't sound like much left but gear and axles, good luck.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #26
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Biebel View Post
"sent shaft out to a Fleet Pride to get inspected (said it had a slight bow/straightened/rebalanced), "

A driveshaft loves to get into a harmonic vibration so I would try another shaft......just to eliminate that possibility.

We had a brand new F-450 service truck that had a ridiculous vibration starting from a dead stop. It went back to the dealer and they shimmed the rear's pinion angle.......It did lesson the vibration but did not eliminate it.....I think they tried numerous other things before the pinion angle change....

Already tried drive shaft out of his stocker.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:13 AM   #27
joespanova

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Biebel View Post

I agree , I'd try another driveshaft....carbon fiber if you know someone.......?
joespanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:20 AM   #28
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

Warped rear rotors????
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #29
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Ok if another driveshaft was tried at least we know it is not that and the hunt for the problem has to focus on what wasn't changed or tried....
Old 10-07-2014, 09:26 AM   #30
TERMITE S/G 2122

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Check your Transmission mounts,thats one thing that has pressure on it in the water box and shut down area. Its the pressure point for the drive shaft. That's why they are rubber,something has to flex. Just a thought.
TERMITE S/G 2122 is offline   Reply With Quote