Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Default Re: Entry Level SS(MOD) rules proposed

Fair enough.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #22
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Good Discussion. Is there any agreement that the motor would cost less for an entry racer? Or a returning SS or Stock racer?
How about the heads up format when enough cars are present. Idea might be an index like any other class and then it could compete at a points meet till enough cars are completed.
Good comments on Brodix. I think Randy explained his use of these. Racing Head or others could provide heads but the Brodix deal was by history of equal flow numbers.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #23
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

I think it could be a good class. I would like to see the rules even more conservative like a super stock type bottom end. Flat tops and steel rods. Maybe even cut the max lift down to .650. keep the RPM down that way the engines would last longer.
Someone would have to actually get the class started and promote it to get the attention of the HRA's. Spec head thing could be a good move.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:01 AM   #24
randy wilson

I'm not against flat top pistons. Just trying to make sure the cars are in the low 6's or high 5's in 1\8th to make it interesting. That's mid to low 9's 1\4. They are pretty limited now $ wise. The steel rod thing makes zero difference to me, however, I spent $2,800 on a set of steel rods for our 286 so dollar per dollar, you may actually be costing racers more. The crank thing can be a huge savings by not allowing knife edged, and or extreme lightening visible through the inspection hole. We want to make it as affordable and easy to police as possible. The ceramic bearing tech brought up may be a problem, but maybe someone could chime in about an easy way to check it.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #25
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

We had inexpensive entry level class in Modified Eliminator about 40 years ago. A/SM, B/SM, & C/SM. Huge trun outs. Indy, at least one year, about 50 C/SM cars.
Eventually, racers wanted aluminum heads, full porting, sheet metal manifolds, 5 speeds and big tires. All this instead of buying another carburetor and making it a Modified Production car, and leaving the Super Modified rules alone. Same would happen here.

You guys really think heads would not get hidden porting? We have at least a couple of shops doing Stock Eliminator heads right now. Most people know this, and know who they are. It ain't cheap. Your not likely to win a heads up without them.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #26
randy wilson

Ed, there was a great class in the 70's, and early 80's. In my opinion the racers were smarter then the tech guys, and also allowed shady things to go on. The spec head deal is a lot different from what they had then. They didn't have Chevy, Ford, and Mopar making the call, they had tech guys who just had to measure certain criteria, and what do you know, people cheated. I'd bet a $ to a donut that Brodix, or whomever could tell real quick if someone moved something, or opened up an area of that head. I remember a Brodix tech guy at Knoxville that checks spec at the nationals, and his comment years ago on the winner was, "Ray Charles can tell that head is modified." End of his little run. But tech did not catch it. Also, G-Force, and Jerico can make a slider you have to either kill the ignition, or tap the clutch, or it ain't coming out of gear. The HRA's let things go is why it went the way it did. Have a racer board to approve a head, or not, and if in doubt, have the protester pay a fee to have it sent in and checked out. It can't be that hard.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:58 PM   #27
Jason

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy wilson View Post
Have a racer board to approve a head, or not, and if in doubt, have the protester pay a fee to have it sent in and checked out. It can't be that hard.
So is a protested engine tore down before or after eliminations? Who makes up this racer board? If the racer board does not like the protested head, is it sent to the manufacturer and returned in time for eliminations? Everyone can see where this is headed. If you don't think you can beat someone, just put up the money and eliminate that racer for the weekend.

There is a lot more involved in racing than just proposing a set of rules. Enforcing those rules is a whole different story.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:08 PM   #28
randy wilson

There's a lot more to a lot of things than just writing rules. No cars head would be pulled till after elims. Haters gonna hate. I would carry a spare anyway no more then they cost. But that's just me. Again, if it goes, and you don't like it, do what I do with super comp. Don't run it. But I have zero problem with someone else running it
Old 11-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #29
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

This class is what Super Gas should have been. JMO.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:35 PM   #30
Sean Marconette

Liked 165 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy wilson View Post
Also, G-Force, and Jerico can make a slider you have to either kill the ignition, or tap the clutch, or it ain't coming out of gear.
No disrespect, but that is not true. If the clutch is set correctly the ignition and clutch is not needed to shift a clutch assisted G-Force or Jerico.

I am at a loss on your clutch rules? Dual disc smaller than 10.5" clutches are common place in Stock. If you want to eliminate the stick guys than your current rules have done so. If you want to limit the clutches to maintain a limited budget class then state no Billet or ONLY stamped steel pressure plates allowed. Not allowing counterweight does not even make sense. Again your rules allow unlimited on the automatic transmissions and hand cuffing the stick racers.

Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote