HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-16-2014, 04:39 PM   #61
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts
Default Re: Entry Level SS(MOD) rules proposed

I think the clutch assisted is fine, but even those transmissions won't look a lot different to the average fan. No one will be clutching them. They will cost less than the average clutch less though.

As far as clutches go, we have never purchased one new. We just have them rebuilt to our specs. Some guys have a lot of them for the same reason they have 3 engines at 40k each, because they can. There is et in the hot dog clutches if you are willing to test and you are willing to treat the clutch as a wearable item. You need to slip it to be fast. That means they will wear out. Because they will wear out, you better have two so you aren't down too long when it needs service.

Usually guys that like the heavy stuff only do because they dead hook it. They last forever, but they won't be as fast. Get a small light clutch and work it over! Some of the very small stuff out there has a small tuning window. One screw up in the bell housing or the burnout box and you are pulling it out.
Ask the auto guys that are fast how many convertire they test and how many transmissions they have. When we raced autos we were on our backs smelling transmission fluid all of the time! The automatic guys have been babied long enough when they have to race stick guys. In a true clutch less environment they might have a case for a few lbs, but not when they race against clutch assisted transmissions.
Not a bad idea, the spec class, but I do agree, you need something that will give racers confidence that the class will be around awhile. The coyote class deal would be cool if chevy and mopar stepped up also. None of this is easy to get started, or to police when it does get started. if you drummed up some support from the big three, it might hang in there awhile

Last edited by james schaechter; 11-16-2014 at 04:44 PM.
james schaechter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:10 PM   #62
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

Thank you James. A truly unbiased intelligent post.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #63
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Wink Re: Entry Level SS(MOD) rules proposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy wilson View Post
Look up the flow numbers, and get back to me. The light may then go off. The reason for the CC's of those heads are to make a stock valve angle flow with other stock valve angles. An 18 degree, and a 20 degree valve angle already has a leg up. I'm all for them designing an 18 degree straight across the board that flows the same. Problem is, they don't. I think some slam this idea because it is a threat to the norm. I never comment on classes that don't concern me, unless to give an opinion on such, but could care less if said class exists. I find it very odd that people running classes that this will have zero negative effect on their class, or this class, or any class even opine.
I won't bother with flow #s at this time. I'm glad you never comment on nonconcerning classes, except to offer an opinion,, which is all that I'm doing, among the others on here. If you go back to post #1, you invite us all to "review and consider" this proposal that you and Dick have put together, which I'm sure you two put considerable time and effort into. For that alone, I find it very odd that YOU find it very odd that we wouldn't take time to "opine" on this topic if we weren't interested in it, regardless of what class we're in. After all,, its about getting more cars and people out to the track, and I'm for that.
Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:02 PM   #64
randy wilson

I'm for anyone's opinion on a positive note. Any negatives in my opinion should be to help fix any problems they might see coming up, which some have intelligently stated. What we weren't needing is people who have zero interest in something like this slamming it just because. That was my point. I hope you do have an interest in it. Truly. The Brodix stuff is ONLY listed because I could find no other manufacturer that even had a spec head for the big three. Also, I have about as much pull with NHRA as I do with the United States Congress. ZERO. So the chances of anything happening here are slim to none. And I do not mean to slam you. That ain't getting us nowhere. What I meant was I don't comment on let's say all the new cars, and classes in Stock. It doesn't concern me in the least. But I understand the concern of those involved.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:21 PM   #65
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

In regard to stick versus auto I bet the best runs data that Nitro Joe has could compare 283 cars or 327 cars stick and auto and give a fair indication of the gap.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:55 PM   #66
randy wilson

Great post Dick.Apples to apples. Also, I want everyone who has looked at, and commented on this post to realize I have nothing against some mods brought up, other then the whole premise of this thread is to find a cheaper way to run Comp style. Therefore the eliminations of some mods that cost money. If we only limit the heads, we've only eliminated about $10,000. That's why I brought up the computers, clutches, vac, etc. No other reason.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:36 PM   #67
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

I am beginning to get supportive phone calls from SS and comp racers who understand the need for a fresh look at Sportsman Drag racing. Suggestions on open tire size, full tree, supporting Clutch plans etc. Keep them coming guys sounds like more silent support than verbal on the site. If you fight the HP/LB battle long enough and watch a couple cars become paper wts and see the vanishing racers it is more obvious.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:33 PM   #68
John Leichtamer Jr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dick
I had a post back in Sept/ 2012 about bringing back super/mod, got 185 post to that.
Alot of good suggestions to what would work.

I think you were the third to post to it.

Hammer
John Leichtamer Jr is offline   Reply With Quote