Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #11
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: New 2015 SS/GT rules ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Teuton View Post
FGT/A will have the same index as GT/A which lowers the index .05 for the automatic cars.
Where is that listed? The difference between GT/A and GT/AA is .10. If that is the case FGT/H would be 10.85 instead of GT/HA's 11.05... a .20 hit while someone else gets .10? FGT/I gets hit .25 from GT/IA? Glad I spent a bunch of money on the car last month... I'll take my .20. How about the fast guys get .20 too?

As always, if they'd just factor the cars, they wouldn't need new classes in the first place. That being said, I like the idea of sticks & autos running together. Maybe this is a trial balloon for the traditional classes down the road.

Regardless, why haven't they just simply posted the indexes nearly a month after announcing the classes? They should give some consideration to people that may need to upgrade or modify their cars if they have to switch classes -- things which take time and money.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #12
Bryan Worner

Liked 410 Times in 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sherwood View Post
If there is no HP changes or index changes for the F/GT classes and you can run an old motor in the new cars or a new motor in the old cars what was gained???
The factory cars and their (mostly underrated) motors are in separate classes! That is what was gained. Just like last year when we gained separation in SS/GT of the FWD and RWD cars for hp ratings.

Beard, I guess it's time to start spending some money on that motor!
Bryan Worner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:36 AM   #13
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Worner View Post
The factory cars and their (mostly underrated) motors are in separate classes! That is what was gained. Just like last year when we gained separation in SS/GT of the FWD and RWD cars for hp ratings.
...since they refuse to factor them properly. Better than nothing I guess. It's only going to have an effect in the populated classes, though. I'm virtually in my own class now, with an even less chance of a heads-up run or getting HP.

Quote:
Beard, I guess it's time to start spending some money on that motor!
Re-read my post. I just did in Sept/Oct. Basically picked up what my index is getting hit (or what I guess it's getting hit, since they haven't posted anything). Right back to square one. But that's fine. I spent the money to go faster because I wanted to, and felt it would help me be more competitive. I don't have a lot, so I just do what I can, when I can.

EDIT - NHRA just e-mailed me back and said the new indexes will be posted early next week.

Last edited by Michael Beard; 11-21-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Michael Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:36 PM   #14
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

Bob, what was gained was: 1. New cars not in the classes with old cars, or in GT old motors also. (See number 3) 2. Automatic trans cars (which are about 90%) get hit .10 to .30 (maybe more) in FSS and FGT the way I make it because the indexes are same as comparable stick class. 3. The old cars will now attract another 200 to 400 cars back that quit cause they couldn't run with the new cars. 4. Personal agenda out of Div 2 got Mark Nowicki out of regular GT because he ran fast and programmed his racing not to get AHFS'd. Course it took 16 new classes to do this. 5. NHRA punished the cars they helped create, even though it is the largest new asset to Sportsman Racing 6. The wedge between New Car-Old Car has been driven deeper to the displeasure of the Manufacturers. 7. Used Obama methods of everyone has to be the same inspite of cost or work ethic.

Last edited by Jeff Teuton; 11-21-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Jeff Teuton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:19 PM   #15
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Oh Jeff! :-) "even though it is the largest new asset to Sportsman Racing" LMBO!!
Old 11-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #16
Eric Merryfield

Liked 471 Times in 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Oh Jeff! :-) "even though it is the largest new asset to Sportsman Racing" LMBO!!
My first post on the new rules, likely my last.....work to do.

Perhaps another way to look at it is that they didn't go far enough to restore the purity to stock and superstock.......the fuel injected cars still need to be dealt with....they dominate the classes they are in, SS/JA anyone? C/SA...etc...I think fuel injected cars likely have a advantage.

I find myself oddly nostalgic for the IHRA where things were quite simple. If it had fuel injection it was by itself.....

Supercars(copo's, cobras and paks) by themselves makes 100% sense. Sort of like a modern version of SS/AH.....

GT/F with supercar motors, that too, it can create new life for old cars, or for those like myself that like to play in superstock without needing to have a motor on the ragged edge....

Supercars with old motors running with the others in GT/F well thats a bit more murky.

I do show up and play as often as I can with as many toys as I can....be it a dragpak, a dakota truck, a old classic challenger, or even a gremlin....unfortunately a lot of the posters don't race

Maybe the rule changes will inspire them to step away from the keyboard and get ready for the coming season!

Looking forward to the spring and the return of the greatest car show on earth.....

With the new indexes coming out, Michael I am going to need some more letters!

Eric
Old 11-21-2014, 04:24 PM   #17
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Eric, if you know Bobby Warren, ask him what he found when he was testing his LT1 SS engine on his dyno, and decided to try the QJet carb he had there. You might be surprised what he found.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:07 PM   #18
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 839 Times in 293 Posts

Will all the new "single" cars/classes go into the combo for class eliminations like before? If so...that could turn interesting
Old 11-21-2014, 09:29 PM   #19
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Don't often have to run that deal in SS/JA, right Jeff? Normally more of those than any other class.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #20
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

Ed, an interesting observation in various classes is had by looking at the numbers in various classes in Nitro's final edition. Many classes have large numbers at the end of the year, but at most races, the class is not populated. And of course Indy has everyone. If I was an excel guru like you, I would do a deal showing how many times each racer went to a race. I think maybe Nitro Joe (famous stat guy) could and it would shed more light on just who is racing. You could add up the races listed in the Lucas National Points now listed, but I don't think it would show where or when or what division. I looked at this after I was looking in my classes SS/KA and GT/HA and found they were about equal in participation yearly, but GT/HA had more cars at the races I attended. Now most of my races are in Div 2 and Div 4 so maybe it's a Southern thing. SS/JA seems to have lots of participants. Is SS/JA the first class the has one pound breaks? Maybe that's it.