HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #1
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 99 Times in 60 Posts
Default burnout curosity

Give this some thought and get back to me. From the stand point of tradition and showmanship, burnouts are deeply rooted in drag racing. Of course, since I am 67 and counting I know when we had, "spin to clean" then "dry hops"

Yet, are we at or near the time that burnouts could be eliminated? Or, is a burn out simply part of the package and eliminating the burn out would take away from the experience?

Just something that I am curious about. Let's hear some thoughts.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
Chuck Norton

Liked 69 Times in 15 Posts
Default Re: burnout curosity

Larry,

In my opinion, water boxes and burnouts are more than a cultural phenomenon and crowd-pleasing artifice. Today's rubber compounds and track prep go hand-in-hand to give our cars a consistent, efficient launch. There are times when less intense burnouts are desirable but it is the responsibility of each driver to know when "less is more" and adjust accordingly. If burnouts were to be banned again (yes, I too, remember the dark ages), consistent performances would require serious reconsideration of torque converter and clutch configurations, tire compounds, chassis set-ups, and driving styles. I, for one, at this stage in the evolution of the sport, would be disinclined to support the elimination of burnouts.

c
Old 11-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 99 Times in 60 Posts

Chuck, old folks know

And my comment is not one of ruling against burn outs, at least not in our lifetime. Just a topic of thought and conversation.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #4
Jim Bailey

Liked 571 Times in 107 Posts
Cool Re: burnout curosity

Jim Head did some testing some time ago, I believe it was with his Top Fueler. He made a couple runs with out any burn out what so ever, just wiping the tires clean. It really made little difference in the performance of the car. He also stopped "wacking the throttle" to seat the clutch during the warm up. That was always part of the show in the pits, now, hardly (if) anybody ever does that.
Jim Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
Tom Nolan

Liked 61 Times in 10 Posts
Cool Re: burnout curosity

I have been shut off after doing a burn out in my GT car....after a few minutes the track guys motioned to us to do another burn out and the 60' was considerably quicker than all my other runs. Just my observation!
Tom Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

I was recently held up on the line for about half a minute because of a dial-in discrepancy. After seven previous runs with the 60' times hovering at 1.50, that delayed run produced a 1.49 60'...I just don't know.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:23 PM   #7
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
I was recently held up on the line for about half a minute because of a dial-in discrepancy. After seven previous runs with the 60' times hovering at 1.50, that delayed run produced a 1.49 60'...I just don't know.
My car will actually run quicker if it spins the tires a bit. But it is not repeatable or a good way to run the car to go rounds. When I have a class run I will set the shocks tight and let it spin. Usually good for 3 or 4 in my car.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:17 PM   #8
gsa612

Liked 280 Times in 139 Posts

When M/T came out with a bias tire in the early 80's,they recommended a very light or no burnout.Tried it both ways and found no difference,you would only do a very light b/out when the track temp. was cold.
gsa612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:33 PM   #9
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts

Mike your car runs quicker with a little spin. what you got, a Comp car? :~)
That is the way most good Comp cars are set up. The little bit of spin allows a little less gear and converter, so it runs a little quicker. P/S is the same way as well as the 10.5 tire deals. (A good one black tracks the entire track) To go real fast with a dead hook require steep/correct gear selection (Tranny & Rear)and some interesting converter changes.
As for the burnout I was told, back in the day when we did dry hops in Modified, that the heat in the tire brings the sticky to the surface of the tire.
I never could understand why I would do 2 or three dry hops and the tire would spin on the line until a Goodyear tire guy told me: Dry hops knock the heat out of a tire. So did we do dry hops to knock the heat out and spin just a little to go real quick or did we do them thinking we were "Checking " the traction?
Is there really a place for dry hops with today's modern tire compounds?
How much burn out is really necessary?
The answer: Test your combination
Disclaimer; Your combination may require more or less of everything than what "They Say" runs.

Last edited by Adger Smith; 11-21-2014 at 11:35 PM. Reason: sp
Adger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #10
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

Every car I've ran in the last 20 years have ran more MPH if they spun. Don't know why, just they did.