HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-23-2014, 11:40 AM   #11
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: Big sportsman payout increase at IHRA National Events

You cannot compare payouts without comparing entry fees, amount of track time, travel, and amount of time off work.

Myron is dead-on about the Sportsman Spectacular events. $5K to win guaranteed, and racers failed to support them, so they went away. We had a great format race with the Combo in the Hills, and later the NitroPlate S/SS Shootout at Numidia, and people failed to support them, so now they're gone. At least people will have another opportunity to support and fun and rewarding event, with the Class Nationals next summer. If it's supported well enough, there's a chance that the program can expand. But it takes *you*.

We promote a number of big money bracket races. Racers have continued to show more and more support for what we're doing, and they have been rewarded with more events, more event coverage, and frequent purse increases. Success begets success.

Be part of the solution.

If you think NHRA should improve things in their programs, coverage, or payouts, the best way to force them to do so is with competition. I didn't run any IHRA events last year, as I couldn't fit them into my schedule. With improvements in many areas of what they're doing, I'm looking forward to supporting them again in 2015, and being part of the solution.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:32 PM   #12
ChevyII

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Michael, well stated!

The more we read your print and watch you in action with your successful events, the more I admire your character.

Well done, Mike!

Mike
ChevyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #13
cal

Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via AIM to cal

Hello All
So If I read this correctly, Division 1 will have a double at Richmond Dragway, a single at Maryland International Raceway. and be forced to go to Pittsburg for 1 race just to get 4 in division races. I think Pittsburg is also a Nitro Jam.

Hum this kinda Suck if it is correct.

Cal
HR S/ST 1177
cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #14
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR9121 View Post
I agree with Myron 100%, IHRA took it on the chin several races with the Sportsman Spectacular so them stepping up with these increases is a bit of a surprise to me. I agree Chuck that its long overdue but without support there is not much more they can do. This is not a "build it and they will come" economic environment where they can afford lots of losses hoping the masses will come eventually so I hope racers will see this as a good faith offering.
This is a step in the right direction fro IHRA. They will have to follow through with this program and make the investment to improve car counts. The increase in purse is the first step. They (IHRA) have to attract sponsors and contingency to make the program really work and attract the car counts. The sanctioning body along with the track operators are the promoters. The investment has to be made by all parties involved. one of the big things that has to happen is getting some butts in the stands. That means you have to entice some people that would not normally be coming to your event. Better to have a lot of spectators there for an inexpensive gate charge than empty stands with a big gate charge. You have to build the system back up from the bottom. You have to have a solid foundation. That's what needs to be built now. Just because the first few races don't have a huge car count they need to stay the course and keep improving with each event. I will be running all of the IHRA events that are with in my traveling range this year.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #15
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal View Post
Hello All
So If I read this correctly, Division 1 will have a double at Richmond Dragway, a single at Maryland International Raceway. and be forced to go to Pittsburg for 1 race just to get 4 in division races. I think Pittsburg is also a Nitro Jam.

Hum this kinda Suck if it is correct.

Cal
HR S/ST 1177
Cal you guys are spoiled lol, come race division 9 where they are all singles with the exception of a few in the last couple of years and they were done because of make up races
Old 11-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #16
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

I agree totally Mike I just hope they start getting more support in traditionally low car count areas like division 4. $1500 to win with about 8 SS cars would be a good deal for someone at San Antonio.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:45 PM   #17
Ven302

Liked 28 Times in 6 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Big sportsman payout increase at IHRA National Events

Considering the economic times and all the excuses we have been given for reducing payouts, increasing entry fees etc etc. The IHRA group at least deserves a pat on the back ( and consideration) for realizing they were going the wrong way and doing something about it. I know I will consider them when making travel plans. I went to the race in Grand Bend last year and had a great time, won nothing but did enjoy the effort put forth by both the track and IHRA. Both did a spectacular job! This is just one more positive with the new ownership and I will probably try to get to a couple of their races just to show support.

This is nothing but good news.
Ven302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #18
ChevyII

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Venice, hear hear..

Raising the payouts is great for the sport because as long as I can remember the "N" payouts have remained the same for ever.

Mike
ChevyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:39 PM   #19
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 502 Times in 125 Posts

I don't know why tracks don't give away tickets. Have them at all the parts stores etc. Then when the people come they all have to eat,drink etc. They will buy shirts etc. Look at it this way you can't lose they weren't going to come anyway. Most of the divisionals I've went to since 2006 there is NO ONE in the stands unless you count the stockers guys watching SS. Just a thought.......
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:05 PM   #20
Mike Jones
VIP Member

Liked 660 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuces wild View Post
I don't know why tracks don't give away tickets. Have them at all the parts stores etc. Then when the people come they all have to eat,drink etc. They will buy shirts etc. Look at it this way you can't lose they weren't going to come anyway. Most of the divisionals I've went to since 2006 there is NO ONE in the stands unless you count the stockers guys watching SS. Just a thought.......

Ed,
Poor attendance at D1 LODRS as well...
Does any Division see good numbers at these events?

Mike A114 P/SA

Last edited by Mike Jones; 11-24-2014 at 07:06 PM. Reason: edit
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote