HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 11-22-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts
Default Ed, help me here

I know you know this. Observing old car factors, your humble correspondent has found an interesting thing. The LS1 in the Vette is 345 hp in Stock, and the Camaro is 382. Or 37 HP. Or 333 lbs. 9 x 37. And the GT factor for a full Cambell motor in GT is 313. and a 2004 or 5 or don't have to run FSS or FGT with indexes 2 tenths lower. And I guess these model cars are 30 years older than a Cobra Jet or Drag Pak, no, only 3 or 4 years. Now, I am not a studied person, so Ed, you have to help me. Under this process with my limited understanding a 2008 or 2009 Cobalt or other Jelly Bean can run at 313 factored and be in the regular GT classes which are now at least 2 tenths faster. Maybe I'm wrong. I will look again. I have to look at Super Stock anyway.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts
Default Re: Ed, help me here

I knew I was in trouble when I saw my name. LOL
I don't spread LS very well any way. My dinosaur is an LT1. Last one was built in 1997.
The corvettes do have softer hp factors. Not as many, so of course the triggers not hit so much. The LS1 factors are soft. I know you understand chassis dyno drive Trans losses, my old '98 LS1 Trans Am convertible had an automatic Trans. That is an easy 20% loss. Factory hp rating was 320 (it was the ram air model), with only computer tuning tweaks, at 40000 miles, it made 336 at the tires. Never had a valve cover off, still had the factory spark plugs, fuel filter, and full factory exhaust.
If I was running one in GT, I would certainly claim it was from a Corvette.

Still, nowhere soft as the Drag Paks. You know that. Right now, it appears Ricky Decker has possibly (other than maybe Jeff Dona) the fastest LT1 (like mine, but faster) in SS. Several told me about seeing Larry Stewart (driving Lloyd's DP) playing with Ricky in the SS/IA class run offs at Indy, year before last. One guy told me he was at the scales when they ran, and it sounded like Larry started whopping the throttle about the 1/8th mile. Larry said "yeah, about there."

Surely, Jeff, you aren't 't trying to imply the LS1 is anywhere as bogus soft as the 360" DP? The DP 5.7 Hemi is right behind it. There are other soft combos, but not to that level.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
sammy pizzolato

Liked 56 Times in 13 Posts
Send a message via AIM to sammy pizzolato

That Is A Big Difference In HP For A Corvette That Is Shorther Lighter And More Areo Then A Firebird Or A Camero. I Could See The Difference If It Was A Chevelle Or A Station Waggon!!! Come On NHRA What Is The Reason Behind This!!! This Needs To Be Corrected.
sammy pizzolato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #4
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Identical, exact same engine.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:27 PM   #5
Bernie Cunningham

Liked 50 Times in 16 Posts

Same problem with the '93 - '97 Lt1 corvettes in stock.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:57 AM   #6
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Problem with getting too specific with Hp factoring of a particular BODY style. GT versus SS body maybe ok but seems in stock too specific. Hope it doesn't get to paint colors...
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #7
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Butler View Post
Problem with getting too specific with Hp factoring of a particular BODY style. GT versus SS body maybe ok but seems in stock too specific. Hope it doesn't get to paint colors...
I asked about it and was told it was classified by wheelbase. Corvette vs Camaro vs chevelle etc. never got numbers but I gathered that there was a range for short, medium and long wheelbase.

This one is interesting. No one complained when a simple hood change or claiming a different year drastically changed the hp rating on a lot of cars.

Last edited by james schaechter; 11-23-2014 at 12:04 PM.
james schaechter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #8
Ernie Neal

Liked 301 Times in 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy pizzolato View Post
That Is A Big Difference In HP For A Corvette That Is Shorther Lighter And More Areo Then A Firebird Or A Camero. I Could See The Difference If It Was A Chevelle Or A Station Waggon!!! Come On NHRA What Is The Reason Behind This!!! This Needs To Be Corrected.
Corvette C4’s are 96” wheelbase and are lower and wider than a Camaro and/or Firebird, lighter only 61lbs. in 1996 anyway. You ask yourself, well why didn’t I build a Corvette? Maybe back in the day would be cost, but now we would say that dang independent rear suspension or perhaps that itchy fiberglass. So now we know several reasons why the horsepower factors are different, for many choose to run Camaros and/or Firebirds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Cunningham View Post
Same problem with the '93 - '97 Lt1corvettes in stock.

The LT1 was in 92-96 Corvettes and no 97 in classification guide?

Jeff, I think a little 96 Neon 2 dr with a 360 Magnum drag pack engine would be killer, just sayin since you mentioned jelly beans. Could start out in 9.5 lbs. class and still be fast at 8 lbs.

Ernie Neal
SS 354
yes, I race a jelly bean
Ernie Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:50 PM   #9
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

Ernie, you are right, but that combo was surgically removed a couple of weeks ago from GT and put in FGT with a .25 lower index.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #10
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by james schaechter View Post
No one complained when a simple hood change or claiming a different year drastically changed the hp rating on a lot of cars.
Wrong then, wrong now. The rules are used as much as an excuse to not correct blatantly wrong issues as it is to supposedly govern out-of-line combinations. Even when strictly played by the letter of the rules, politics comes to bear. Common sense plays no part in the system.