HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-17-2015, 08:40 PM   #1
flash

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default weather station & antenna mounting?

I just bought a living quarters trailer,using a weather station with pager.I know how to install the rubber mounts for the weather station,I use a wall mounted usb port adaphter that has a small screw on cap when not in use.but the antenna has to be mounted either on the roof,or small L bracket they provide.I really don't like the idea of drilling a hole in the roof of this trailer to mount the antenna,but if you mount it on the L shape bracket,which stays there permantly-then you have to drill a hole somewhere to run cable which would look stupid running a black cable down the side of a white trailer.everybody is doing this,so am I missing something or just have not thought it out yet?instuctions say don't mount antenna near the weather station unit as well,-? any suggestions
flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:57 PM   #2
Ronnie Smith Jr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: weather station & antenna mounting?

When I used my weather station I placed the antenna on the trailer roof as part of my weekend routine set-up. In other words, I removed it from the box at the beginning of the race weekend, placed it on the roof and then placed it in the box as I was packing up readying to depart.

For the wind gauge, etc, I found that the gauge would fit nicely on the end of a piece of galvanized wire conduit. As part of my packing/unpacking/setup routine, I would go through these steps each race. I bought an 8 foot galvanized conduit, set it up as a removable piece of equipment on the front of the trailer with removable conduit straps pre drilled into the trailer skin with the original trailer screws. The conduit end rested on the ground, secured by the straps in two locations while mounted to the front of the trailer and the weather station gauge affixed to the top of the conduit.

Never had any issues with the gauge/antenna etc due to weather. It was a consistent placement on the trailer each time.

Hope this helps and is the info you were searching for.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:17 PM   #3
Sean Marconette

Liked 165 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
I just bought a living quarters trailer,using a weather station with pager.I know how to install the rubber mounts for the weather station,I use a wall mounted usb port adaphter that has a small screw on cap when not in use.but the antenna has to be mounted either on the roof,or small L bracket they provide.I really don't like the idea of drilling a hole in the roof of this trailer to mount the antenna,but if you mount it on the L shape bracket,which stays there permantly-then you have to drill a hole somewhere to run cable which would look stupid running a black cable down the side of a white trailer.everybody is doing this,so am I missing something or just have not thought it out yet?instuctions say don't mount antenna near the weather station unit as well,-? any suggestions
I drilled a hole in the roof of my LQ for the antenna, then used good quality caulking for metal. I mounted the antenna on the roof rail that overhangs the sidewall of the trailer. If you have the USB style weather station, the weather proof USB connector is a joke and way overpriced. There is a better application, as my original USB would still get moisture in it even with the cap installed going down the road. It stopped working during a race and I made a trip to Radio Shack to get a long cable to get by until replacing it. $90 for a USB cable is highway robbery when you can get something made for harsh environments at a 1/3 of the price.

Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:45 PM   #4
Rat Raceway

Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Rat Raceway

Sean what do you suggest for harsh environments?
Rat Raceway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:20 PM   #5
Sean Marconette

Liked 165 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Raceway View Post
Sean what do you suggest for harsh environments?
Hi Ross,

Here ya go. These guys helped me out and they are even located in Wichita, Ks. It will require the coupler, the cable and a cap. And still cheaper than the overpriced junk cable. You will also need another cable to go from the coupler to the laptop, I think its a male/male USB, thats a radio shack, or electronics store item and USB firewire also sells it too.

http://www.usbfirewire.com/usb-rugge...roof-zinc.html

USB Ruggedized / Waterproof A Male to B
PART# RR-211320-09-78
Size: 6ft (1981mm) $19.50

USB Ruggedized / Waterproof - Coupler
PART# RR-211300-30
Size: Coupler $14.95

Seal Cap (Optional)
PART# RR-1C543122M
Size: Seal Cap $7.95
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:36 PM   #6
Rat Raceway

Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Rat Raceway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Marconette View Post
Hi Ross,

Here ya go. These guys helped me out and they are even located in Wichita, Ks. It will require the coupler, the cable and a cap. And still cheaper than the overpriced junk cable. You will also need another cable to go from the coupler to the laptop, I think its a male/male USB, thats a radio shack, or electronics store item and USB firewire also sells it too.

http://www.usbfirewire.com/usb-rugge...roof-zinc.html

USB Ruggedized / Waterproof A Male to B
PART# RR-211320-09-78
Size: 6ft (1981mm) $19.50

USB Ruggedized / Waterproof - Coupler
PART# RR-211300-30
Size: Coupler $14.95

Seal Cap (Optional)
PART# RR-1C543122M
Size: Seal Cap $7.95

Thanks Sean

Looks like I will be replacing the plastic waterproof connectors I picked up a couple months ago. The above connectors look very nice and the price is not crazy.

Thanks Mr!
Rat Raceway is offline   Reply With Quote