Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-18-2015, 12:24 PM   #11
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts
Default Re: SBC oil pump recommedation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Taylor 3601 View Post
melling M-55A is heavier casting, m55 and m55hv have lighter castings,some things that will break pump are cavitation most of time pickup too close or far away from pan,or oil getting away from pickup or lack of oil, out of balance or vibration from driveline, oil pump shaft rubbing block some blocks need hole opened up or shaft that is undercut, some dart blocks need drilling for clearance around oil pump shaft.
Mike Taylor 3601
I think mine was one of the lighter castings. It was in the engine when I bought it. Thanks for the tips I will check for clearance. I think the shaft is one of the undercut type. I will change that too.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:24 PM   #12
joespanova

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts

I have both castings in my shop and the diff is very obvious. I believe mine is a Moroso version of the HV55 , which at the time of purchase was the heavier casting. That being said , I had a bypass spring break last year costing me a new block in the process as it threw a rod from no oil pressure and yours truly didnt have a low pressure warning light...I do now
joespanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:28 PM   #13
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joespanova View Post
I have both castings in my shop and the diff is very obvious. I believe mine is a Moroso version of the HV55 , which at the time of purchase was the heavier casting. That being said , I had a bypass spring break last year costing me a new block in the process as it threw a rod from no oil pressure and yours truly didnt have a low pressure warning light...I do now
I will have a warning light from now on. Right up front and center. Nothing is fail safe.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:45 PM   #14
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,035 Times in 271 Posts

The base pump, the Melling M55, is a very weak casting, they will break just putting a stock Melling pick up in. This has been a problem for years, and has only gotten worse. I have a standing deal with the warehouse I buy my parts from that not even a stock rebuild gets an M55. Minimum is an M55A, which is a higher pressure pump.

The M55HV is also a different casting, although I have stopped using high volume pumps for most engines. It has seen changes over the years, it was pretty robust, then they took strength out several years ago, then, after failures and complaints, they went back to the old stronger casting.

At one point, even the high pressure and high volume Melling pumps were using cheaper powdered metal gears, and the gears failed. Now they say only the stock replacement budget pumps get those gears. Supposedly, the test for those gears is to mark them with a Sharpie, if the mark disappears, they are powdered metal gears, and should not be used in performance engines.

Melling has a Select line, those seem to do fairly well, they are held to tighter tolerances, use better castings, and better gears. They have several versions for small and big block Chevy applications.

Melling also has a new helical gear pump for the small block Chevy, it is supposed to have less drag, a smoother pressure curve, and less pulse variation. I have not tried one yet, I may. It looks good in testing.

I used the Moroso pumps for a while, as they were built to tighter tolerances than the Melling pumps, although Melling makes the base pump.

Schumann was making their pumps based on the old DynaGear castings, and using the nodular iron used for rear end housings. However, the last Schumann pump I got did not look as good as the older pumps. I have not bought one since, I switched to the cast steel Clay Valley Racing pump, and that is what all race engines now get.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:53 PM   #15
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
The base pump, the Melling M55, is a very weak casting, they will break just putting a stock Melling pick up in. This has been a problem for years, and has only gotten worse. I have a standing deal with the warehouse I buy my parts from that not even a stock rebuild gets an M55. Minimum is an M55A, which is a higher pressure pump.

The M55HV is also a different casting, although I have stopped using high volume pumps for most engines. It has seen changes over the years, it was pretty robust, then they took strength out several years ago, then, after failures and complaints, they went back to the old stronger casting.

At one point, even the high pressure and high volume Melling pumps were using cheaper powdered metal gears, and the gears failed. Now they say only the stock replacement budget pumps get those gears. Supposedly, the test for those gears is to mark them with a Sharpie, if the mark disappears, they are powdered metal gears, and should not be used in performance engines.

Melling has a Select line, those seem to do fairly well, they are held to tighter tolerances, use better castings, and better gears. They have several versions for small and big block Chevy applications.

Melling also has a new helical gear pump for the small block Chevy, it is supposed to have less drag, a smoother pressure curve, and less pulse variation. I have not tried one yet, I may. It looks good in testing.

I used the Moroso pumps for a while, as they were built to tighter tolerances than the Melling pumps, although Melling makes the base pump.

Schumann was making their pumps based on the old DynaGear castings, and using the nodular iron used for rear end housings. However, the last Schumann pump I got did not look as good as the older pumps. I have not bought one since, I switched to the cast steel Clay Valley Racing pump, and that is what all race engines now get.
Good info Alan. Have you tried a Moroso billet pump in any of the engines.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:17 PM   #16
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,035 Times in 271 Posts

Mike, I have not. If I were going to buy a billet pump, I'd probably buy either a Clay Valley Racing pump or a Titan.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:07 PM   #17
pfm1162

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mike check your PM's
pfm1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:57 PM   #18
Lyn Smith
VIP Member

Liked 841 Times in 156 Posts

Has anyone tried a Milodon 18750 pump on their SBC.
Lyn Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:10 PM   #19
brian schuetta

Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

I thought the last Schumann I got from Jegs was a modified M55. Will look tonight, it's not in an engine yet.
brian schuetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:01 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn Smith View Post
Has anyone tried a Milodon 18750 pump on their SBC.
We just put one in our new build this past winter. The Melling broke at the pickup support after 750 passes...no damage though.