HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 03-24-2015, 01:32 PM   #21
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts
Default Re: trans cooler

Question - What would be the wildest number fluctuation one would expect from optimal temps vs very hot?

Last edited by HandOverFist; 03-24-2015 at 01:56 PM.
HandOverFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:04 PM   #22
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Corley View Post
Out of curiosity, how is this different from a factory trans cooler that's mounted in the radiator? I personally like to run through the factory radiator cooler, then run the return side out of the radiator to an external cooler, then back to the trans.
That's how mine is plumbed. It either works really well or I need to check that sender after my engine fire.

Dale
FireSale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:29 PM   #23
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,636 Times in 506 Posts

A trans cooler only works when the engine s running and the trans pump is moving fluid through the cooler. Our engines run such a short time that the cooler would not make much of a difference. They do nothing when the car is sitting between rounds. I would say you are better off with a large capacity trans pan that has cooling fins. That's what I have on my trans.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:09 PM   #24
Tony Corley

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

My buddy uses an external trans cooler with quick disconnects between rounds on his turbo drag radial car. Just plug it into the lines and it circulates the fluid. Trans temps get crazy when spooling twin turbos. I obviously don't think there is a real need for it in a stocker, (except possibly some of the F/S cars), but it sure makes cooling pretty easy between rounds. He made it himself. Pretty trick and I think his biggest expense was the fittings.
Tony Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:51 PM   #25
ss3011

Liked 221 Times in 102 Posts

Drag racing is different than keeping the trans cool on the street. Trying to keep your engine cool for a good run, while trying to keep the transmission up to temp for the run, would lead me to believe you would want the trans cooler separate from the engine radiator. I would recommend a good trans pan mounted temperature gauge, and try to keep the temp between 150 and 200 degs using a synthetic trans fluid. If you really need a cooler, an idea might be to plumb it with some valves, so the fluid is looped, bypassing the cooler, until the later rounds when there isn't much time between runs. then open the valves and run through the cooler.
ss3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:27 PM   #26
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearson View Post
A trans cooler only works when the engine s running and the trans pump is moving fluid through the cooler. Our engines run such a short time that the cooler would not make much of a difference. They do nothing when the car is sitting between rounds. I would say you are better off with a large capacity trans pan that has cooling fins. That's what I have on my trans.
That is what most of us have. I will defer to Mr. Rossler and the Smith family about this.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:27 PM   #27
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 98 Times in 59 Posts

Just offering food for thought;

I do completely understand the engine running, pump running, fluid moving situation. And of course we are all individuals with individual experiences and individual ideas.

I offer my thoughts, consider the time the engine is running.

*From trailer to lanes
*Moving up in the lanes
*Moving to water box
*Burnout and staging
*Making the run
*Return road to scales & fuel check
*Then back to trailer

To me, the engine run time is enough to utilize the cooling capability of a cooler.

It simply seems reasonable to me enough cooling capacity is available to help control trans temp. With many buildup's I have used a trans cooler and will continue to do so. I see no down side.

And please understand, just my personal preference. No issue in any way with other's methods.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:13 AM   #28
njk53

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have done a lot of testing on both in-tank cooling and auxilary transmission oil coolers (air to oil) . Depending on the type of coolers used, generally the in-tank unit cools approximately 3-5 degrees cooler than an auxilary air to oil unit. I like the fact that the engine rejects the heat into the radiator and the coolant washes over the in-tank cooler and it heats up the internals of the transmission and the transmission fluid much faster than an aux. cooler. As somonone stated when the transmission is at temperature, you have more consistant cooling of the transmission and fluid with the in-tank unit.