HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-23-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
MEXJOE

Liked 151 Times in 48 Posts
Question Santhuff's front shocks

I am looking for ideas on how to make the Santhuff front shocks work on a 69 Camaro.
I have looked at the Rinehart set up but I don't have the longer shocks required for that setup.
I had them in the car but had to disassemble the frontend to install them.
I am trying to find an A-ARM (stock) that has a big enough hole to fit the shock through. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts
Default Re: Santhuff's front shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEXJOE View Post
I am looking for ideas on how to make the Santhuff front shocks work on a 69 Camaro.
I have looked at the Rinehart set up but I don't have the longer shocks required for that setup.
I am trying to find an A-ARM (stock) that has a big enough hole to fit the shock through. Thanks!

To install them through the bottom you have to open up the hole in the lower a arm. You also have to move the attachment point toward the spindle. Santhuff makes a mount kit for the gen 1 Camaros. There is a bit of welding and fabricating to get them to fit. They are not a bolt on installation. I have them on my car and love them
Old 03-23-2015, 09:52 PM   #3
jim hensley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEXJOE View Post
I run the Santhuff's DA's on my 68 camaro. But AFCO makes a GM style weld-in lower shock mount, speedway sells it part# A550090108X, only about $10 each for this application. you cut a hole in your stock lower control arm and weld this in. It also works with the AFCO shocks as well. Actually, the AFCO shocks mount better as the adjustment knob is on the bottom of the shock and comes out below the hole for easy adjustment. The Santuff's are tucked up inside, I have to take them loose at the bottom and pull my shocks down thru the hole to gain access to the adjustment knob which is on the side of the shock. I wish Santuff would change that design. I also talked to Marty's about his setup but you have to have the longer shocks to go through the bottom of the a-frame and mount below it, but it does makes easy access to the adjustment knob if you have to change it a lot. But once mine were set I leave them alone..
jim hensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:40 AM   #4
Peter Ash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Would this cutting and welding be in contradiction with the BOOK?

SUSPENSION, Front
Must retain complete stock front suspension system as produced
by manufacturer
for body used, aftermarket tie rods with Heim
joints permitted. Lift kits/travel limiters prohibited. Sway bar
optional. See General Regulations 3:4.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:42 AM   #5
MEXJOE

Liked 151 Times in 48 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Santhuff's front shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim hensley View Post
i run the santhuff's da's on my 68 camaro. But afco makes a gm style weld-in lower shock mount, speedway sells it part# a550090108x, only about $10 each for this application. You cut a hole in your stock lower control arm and weld this in. It also works with the afco shocks as well. Actually, the afco shocks mount better as the adjustment knob is on the bottom of the shock and comes out below the hole for easy adjustment. The santuff's are tucked up inside, i have to take them loose at the bottom and pull my shocks down thru the hole to gain access to the adjustment knob which is on the side of the shock. I wish santuff would change that design. I also talked to marty's about his setup but you have to have the longer shocks to go through the bottom of the a-frame and mount below it, but it does makes easy access to the adjustment knob if you have to change it a lot. But once mine were set i leave them alone..
thank you!!!!!
Old 03-29-2015, 09:00 PM   #6
Marty Rinehart Jr

Liked 207 Times in 47 Posts

If you wanted to use our lower shock mount, you can make the tabs as short as you can and you will only loose 1/2" of travel. To make up for the lost amount of travel, all you would need to do is loosen up the extension.
As for not being able to adjust the bump or compression real easy, once you set it, you don't really ever have to change it. We set ours at 4 from tight.