HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-25-2015, 05:01 PM   #1
Tom Nolan

Liked 61 Times in 10 Posts
Cool Failing Fuel Pumps

I had to replace the fuel pump again....for the 3rd time on my Thunderbolt stocker. Lost a heads up first round because of it! After the second pump failed I contacted the manufacturer to discuss the failures.......talked about filters, mounting, hose size, and voltage? They said it was the voltage, my 16v system was spinning the pump to fast. Ok I installed a voltage step down unit before the pump giving it 12.7volts.
Failure #3 I called the manufacture again and discussed why I have had pumps fail.....discussed filters, mounting, hose sizes, voltage etc. They agreed that everything is how its suppose to be, but would not offer servicing or replacing the pumps. I tore into the pump and it has basically ate it's *****? Rotor, vines, and housing are tore up. I buy VP C-25 straight from the track so no chance of contamination. What am I doing wrong? Is the fuel to blame? Is the pump junk? Help?
Tom Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:45 PM   #2
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts
Default Re: Failing Fuel Pumps

Probably the pump. I see you did not offer up which pump it is. You might think about one of the Weldon pumps. Supposedly they have a lifetime warrantee. I still have Holley Blue pumps on my car and they have served me well. Not sure what to replace them with when its time. I am sure the new ones aren't as good as the older ones like I have.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:15 PM   #3
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 939 Times in 259 Posts

Tom, what brand of pump are you using? Like Mike, I have had very good luck with the old style Holley GPH110 "blue" pumps. I have had the same 2 Holley blue pumps on my bracket car for over 25 years, and a single blue on my Mustang for 13 years. In all this time, the only issue I ever had was to replace a leaking bottom cover plate gasket, and I replaced the Holley regulator diaphrams twice, when they dried out from sitting. I understand that keeping a small, single float bowl like a Q Jet full is a big job, I think that a lot of guys go overkill on fuel systems for carbs with lots of bowl capacity, like a Holley carb. Back when Bob Glidden was racing Thunderbirds in Pro Stock, I looked inside the trunk and all I saw was a pair of Holley blue pumps.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:17 PM   #4
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Tom,

One of the best fuel pumps in the market is made by Product Engineering.

http://www.product-engr.com/fuel_pumps.html

They have a 2-year warranty and if the pump fails, they will replace it no questions asked.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:39 PM   #5
Sean Marconette

Liked 165 Times in 60 Posts

How is the pump located in regards to the fuel cell? If the pump is cavitating that will damage it. The fluid head above the pump will reduce-eliminate cavitation. If the pump is getting mechanically damaged a restriction from the fuel cell to the inlet of the pump needs to be checked on. Is there foam still in the cell, how many and type of fittings (45,90) from the cell outlet to the pump inlet? If it is a return system, is it aerating the fuel where it is dumping back into the cell? The larger the inlet, hose and fittings are, that will reduce the chance of cavitation too. If 3 pumps have failed, have they all failed mechanically?

Most fluid pumps if damaged, it is due to a low pressure condition at the inlet of the pump which makes the fluid boil, and cavitate. When the pump has no fluid to cool it or provide a constant load or resistance that will damage it too.

Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:02 PM   #6
NHRA 303

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes Tom. How is your pump plumbed. Do you have a diagram, or a picture of how your lines are routed. I cooked my Magnafuel pump a couple of years ago. I was running a Summit 5 gallon fuel cell. And the provisions for the vent tube, and return line were located at the rear of the cell. When the car was under acceleration it would occlude the vent, and the pump would eventually cavitate. After about 65 runs it just burned up. And ruined the pump vanes. I had Magnafuel rebuild it. They said it was cavitating. But i couldnt figure out why. Had to just figure out where the fuel was moving to during a run. You might have to do a little detective work.

Steve
Old 03-25-2015, 07:15 PM   #7
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

What kind of pump is it? I ran BG pumps for a while. The first 280 I had worked well and ran a long time. It finally stopped working after 5 years. I bought a new one, and lost it after 2 months. The rotor ate the bottom of the plate. Got another one, same thing. Looked into it more, the plate was made of soft steel, compared to the original. Barry Grant got cheap and used inferior metal later on. Maybe the same thing is happening on your end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nolan View Post
I had to replace the fuel pump again....for the 3rd time on my Thunderbolt stocker. Lost a heads up first round because of it! After the second pump failed I contacted the manufacturer to discuss the failures.......talked about filters, mounting, hose size, and voltage? They said it was the voltage, my 16v system was spinning the pump to fast. Ok I installed a voltage step down unit before the pump giving it 12.7volts.
Failure #3 I called the manufacture again and discussed why I have had pumps fail.....discussed filters, mounting, hose sizes, voltage etc. They agreed that everything is how its suppose to be, but would not offer servicing or replacing the pumps. I tore into the pump and it has basically ate it's *****? Rotor, vines, and housing are tore up. I buy VP C-25 straight from the track so no chance of contamination. What am I doing wrong? Is the fuel to blame? Is the pump junk? Help?
Old 03-25-2015, 11:00 PM   #8
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

It appears that Tom already addressed the installation, routing, filtering and power supply of the pump with the vendor...3 times.

It would help to know the brand of the pump.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:13 AM   #9
Tom Nolan

Liked 61 Times in 10 Posts

Aeromotive A2000 pump is mounted 3" lower than 5 gal cell that we keep full. -10 line, -10 filter before and after pump. -8 return line to the top of the cell and a -8 line on the vent that has a 1/2" K&N vent filter on it.
Tom Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:41 AM   #10
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

I am surprised at that. Most give Aeromotive good reviews. Lots of those being used with 16 V systems.