HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #21
Mike Brogniez

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Dick Harrells 69 ZL1

The older I get the more I appreciate seing cars that once impacted the sport we all love.
I also recognize and appreciate the ongoing progress in the sport we all love.
So thanks to those who restore and thanks to those who invest in the current cars that will become the colectables of the future.
Mike Brogniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #22
Rick Schilling

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts

I just wish I would have invested in at least one of the two new ZL1 Camaros that a local Chevy dealer had here forty some-odd years ago.

(It probably would have been the Hugger Orange one).

I've always had great hindsight.
Rick Schilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #23
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 415 Times in 200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Rees View Post
1320 stated his opinion, and that is fine. I just wonder how many posts would be made if people had to state their real name? Maybe 20% of the ones now?

Curt Rees (My real name and I am damn proud of it)
If you want to know my name, just ask. You can also click on my Public Profile which not only has my name but a few photos of yours truely too as well.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #24
Shake & Bake

Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Dick Harrells 69 ZL1

This car back in the day was a bad hat! I actually rode in this car. When talking with "Big" Ken Barnhart he would always have some good stories to tell about those 69' ZL1 Camaro's.

Btw, Ken is the original owner of the #16 69' ZL1 Camaro and still owns it today along with the #16 2002 phase III ZL1 Camaro built.

Last edited by Shake & Bake; 03-03-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Shake & Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #25
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 68 Times in 29 Posts

Jack, how is your Camaro project, keep us up on your original Camaro. I enjoyed what Bill Porterfield did in 1983 by finding the car and restoring it as close to it's last set up(Dana 60 and all pro goodies of the time), I can't remember if it was in HOT ROD or Car Craft magazine but one of them had an article detailling the long and hard task that Mr. Poterfield went throught to finally finish his project. I'm sure if someone was ready to drop off a tractor trailer full of Cash I wouldn't sent him home without it. My phylosophie is: if you restore an automobile, you can do whatever you want with it but you should use it as much as you can. A friend of mine who had an Indy Pace car Corvette in his garage under wraps, with 100 miles on it, died two weeks ago, I told him many times, drive it and enjoy the car, he was paranoid that someone would damage it, now his kids have just sold it for peanuts. I've own many classics musclecar, and had a great restored 69 ss 396 Camaro that I had to sell after my divorce but I have to say that I never missed that automobile because I drove it everywhere and had a ball with it. I'm now building a Monte Carlo ss with 427 4speed with 12 bolts rear, with the 1983 ss 15"wheel that came with, just my way to make a car that GM should have made. My Monte Carlo ss, is the second one built in 82 for the 83 model year(I picked up at City Chevrolet with the help of a certain Rick Hendrick that I had just met in Florida). I don't care if it's going to be worth something in the future because " no one is promise tomorrow". CR
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #26
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Liked 1,581 Times in 323 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jack Matyas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
I do, and it was but nothing stays the same and that time as well as the "old farts" time has pasted.
Thanks - Being one of those "old farts" I'm glad time hasn't passed me by .........yet ! ! !
Old 03-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #27
Pvt Parts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Schilling View Post
I just wish I would have invested in at least one of the two new ZL1 Camaros that a local Chevy dealer had here forty some-odd years ago.

(It probably would have been the Hugger Orange one).

I've always had great hindsight.

The dealership I worked at in Indy had two of them on the front lot. One hugger orange and a forest green one. Wish I'd bought one of them back then. But then I with I still had my old 69 Z28 back too.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #28
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts

I remember a booked in match race between Don Grotheer and Jim Hayter, possibly this car. The Camaro was white with the clear hoodscoop then and came in on what looked like a homemade ramp truck. Few fans gave it a second look.

Grotheer came in with his factory sponsored two car tow rig looking very cool. Picture takin' and autograph signin' for an hour or more.

Hayter put him back on the transport three for three!
Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #29
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
Billy, WAS is correct and many of these cars like this one aren't exactly the car they are represented to be as well many of the "collectors" buying the cars are "investors/speculators"
I'm reminded of the '94 25th Anniversary T/A I bought new. It was the last one sold in the Phoenix market. It was the biggest pile of S**t I'd ever owned. But it was cool looking and high 13's on a stock LT1 a/t wasn't too bad at the time.
Now I see these 4th gen F-bodies around town. Most look look like real pieces of junk. There looks no longer impress me and there performance is lack luster compared to a new muscle car.
Your F-body has already passed the "looking cool" stage. It's performance today is unimpressive for what has been done to it, especially considering you could go to Ford, Chrysler and soon Chevrolet and buy a brand new factory built race car that will blow your car away.
I'm not even sure what your name is but I'm sure of this, 30-40 years from now when your name is brought up, everybody will say "who?". When your car crosses an auction block, everybody will say "why is that car here?"
Neither you or your vehicle will enjoy the notoriety much less historical significance of this Fredd Gibbs / Dick Harrell '69 Camaro.
I'm tired of your attitude towards us Class Racers. I'm tired that you think this forum is yet another soap box for you to shot your mouth off on things you only think you know. If you want to race in the class you race in, fine. Frequent the forums that espouse your class of racing. If you've been run off, that's your problem but don't bring that fat chip on your shoulder over here. It is not appreciated.
This is the final comment I will make to you as I know my fingers will tire long before yours. Apparently your parents did not teach you anything about respect. That's too bad. I'm sure this lack of teaching has had an impact on your business life as well.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #30
Rick Schilling

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt Parts View Post
The dealership I worked at in Indy had two of them on the front lot. One hugger orange and a forest green one. Wish I'd bought one of them back then. But then I with I still had my old 69 Z28 back too.
Well, that would have been Nankivell Chevrolet on U.S. 31. They were at the north end of the building, outside of the showroom, and I drooled at great length over both of them.

They were there for a good while, but they did have pretty sizable price tags for the time.
Rick Schilling is offline   Reply With Quote