HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-08-2024, 10:16 AM   #1
JP1738

Liked 313 Times in 96 Posts
Default TH350 Governor/Shift weights

Hello all. As most know, I burned up the first turbo 350 I had for my M/SA Malibu wagon. Since then, I bought another to get back going for a really good deal with the agreement that I'd give the burned up one back to the guy who sold me the new one. Anyway, that's not important.

The new trans has a built-in auto 1-2 which is really handy for my combo given that first gear has a 2.74 ratio and comes on very quick. I like using the auto 1-2 but the shift is way late. According to my motor man (Mark Lewis) I need to be hitting the 1-2 somewhere in the neighborhood of 6000-6200, but the auto 1-2 has it shifting at 6700. It's definitely slowing the car down shifting so late. From what I understand, I can adjust the governor on the side of the trans to get the shift in sooner. I've found some spring and weight kits on summit that I think would help me adjust it to where it needs to be.

Does anyone have any good resources on what combo of springs and weights would get me close to my desired shift point? I'm sure that all transmissions and valve bodies are not created equal, so I don't know if what works for one guy will work for another, I'd just like somebody to ball park it for me so maybe I don't have to have it apart 89 times trying every combination. I don't know what the trans has in it at the moment, hoping to get it apart and examined tonight. Maybe there's a chart somewhere that shows what weights/springs get you what shift point, or maybe there's a particular governor kit I need that a stock one won't suffice. Honestly I do not know but hoping to learn. If anybody can point me in the right direction, that'd be great.
#2827 N/SA 1980 Malibu SW 2S 305/180
#2827 S/ST 1978 Mazda RX7 w/ 383 sbc/glide
JP1738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked