HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 08-21-2016, 11:23 PM   #161
Bob Mulry
VIP Member

Liked 315 Times in 100 Posts
Default Re: '66 Malibu N/SA

Before we had PCV a high mileage engine had 60,000 miles on it, was full of sludge and waiting for an overhaul.....................
Old 10-01-2016, 07:39 PM   #162
Dave Muller

Liked 221 Times in 71 Posts

I've been feeling guilty from ignoring the Chevelle so much... between multiple trips for various family obligations and prepping for the Summit finals at Las Vegas. But today was one of my more productive days.

I finally got the bottom section welded in for the rear firewall. I needed to do that before I could finish wiring up the tail lights and fuel pump, since their wires go through a grommet in this panel.

Much of the work I did do in recent weeks was wiring. I now have everything done except the wires to the shifter and the brake pressure switch (which I don't have yet). Much of it has been tested. Everything I tried (fan, water pump, lights (front and rear), ammeter, ignition and fuel pump) worked.

Maybe tomorrow I'll get the shifter in. But I'll also spend some time loading everything up for Vegas. I can hardly wait for that event!

Last edited by Dave Muller; 07-08-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Dave Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:01 PM   #163
Dave Muller

I've got most of the details of the shifter mount worked out. Assuming it's stable enough when it's done, if not I'll have to add to it. This is a test fitting, I made four spacers out of conduit that you can see on the floor. They put the knob or tee handle in just about the same location relative to the steering wheel as I have in my Camaro, which I find very comfortable.

I wound up using bolts from the bottom so there would be minimal protrusion toward the driveshaft. I have lock washers on both sides and a nut tightened down on each, giving the effect of a stud coming up.

Last edited by Dave Muller; 07-08-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:21 PM   #164
stocker396

Liked 56 Times in 14 Posts

I used a piece of 4" C channel Aluminum. You can get it at davis salvage in phx. Bolted it down to the tunnel (it fits right over it) the bolted the shifter to the flat top side. Works and fits perfect. Very sturdy. Just a suggestion.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:48 PM   #165
Dave Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocker396 View Post
I used a piece of 4" C channel Aluminum. You can get it at davis salvage in phx. Bolted it down to the tunnel (it fits right over it) the bolted the shifter to the flat top side. Works and fits perfect. Very sturdy. Just a suggestion.
Not a bad idea, I may yet do something similar.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:42 AM   #166
Dave Muller

I tried adding the spacers for the shifter mount and once I trimmed them to a more even height I'm satisfied that this will work. No trace of movement that I can detect when I bang it through the gears.

Then I got to work putting the cable in. They say it should be straight for the first several inches, and I think I achieved that okay.

I would have welded up this hole but I'm not entirely sure this won't have a stick shift someday, so I just used screws and RTV to seal it up.

The TH-350 hardware worked fine at the other end too.

My next step was rigging a switch to disable the 2 step in high gear. For a while I was working on ideas for mounting a micro-switch above the shifter so the gear indicator arrow would hit it. That was the plan until I woke up at 1 AM the other night and thought maybe I could add a little bit of sheet metal to the slot for the back-up light switch (the upper switch). I cut out a piece and tacked it in, and it works fine. The switch is active now in reverse, first and second gears. Ideally it would be active in first gear only, but I should never be hitting the brakes hard at high RPM in the others anyway.

The next step is prepping Johnny Red to go in and get started!

Last edited by Dave Muller; 07-08-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:39 PM   #167
Dave Muller

Ah, one step forward, two steps back...

I decided for a couple of reasons to set up the breather and PCV on the red engine the same as on the black one. So I removed that baffle in the lifter valley, removed the oil filler tube from the front of the manifold, and since the red 283 valve covers weren't set up for breathers I removed them and the valve cover spacers. Then I went to remove the long valve cover studs that I won't need any more. When I got to the intake side between #1 and #3 I was starting the first nut when I saw a flash of silver and heard a couple of "clinks". I had dropped the second nut. Damn I'm a klutz. I thought I'd see it in the lifter valley but no, and I didn't see it anywhere on the floor. Then I realized that the number 3 intake was open. I turned the motor over on the stand and sure enough I could hear "Clink, clink" from number 3 cylinder.

So here's what I see when I pulled the head:

And there's a double dose of klutziness here, I went to the Washingtin, DC area recently for a family wedding and took a couple of days extra for some sightseeing. On the second day I tripped on the last step going down a staircase in the library of congress. My left foot was a bit stiff afterward, but I walked away and it seemed fine. Then it got worse...

The bottom line is that after a couple of times when it seemed it was almost all better, only to get worse again I finally broke down and went to a doctor. It's broken. So this will slow things down for a bit:

Last edited by Dave Muller; 07-08-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:34 AM   #168
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

No worries Dave...I know several guys who use hand controls in their race car lol.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:30 PM   #169
Dave Muller

I'm still limited on the amount (and type) of work I can do in the garage but I've managed to get the red engine back together again. Plus the intake is on as well.

I don't plan on running with them on, but those valve cover spacers are great for running the oil pump without oil spilling all over the floor.

Last edited by Dave Muller; 07-08-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:23 PM   #170
HawkBrosMav

Liked 276 Times in 68 Posts

You going to make it by Jan 28th?? I hope your luck turns around, I know how bum ankles are and don't wish that upon anyone!

Brad
HawkBrosMav is offline   Reply With Quote