GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 1,875 Times in 577 Posts
Default Re: RIP Jim Meador

Gregg Luneauk collaborated with Jim for many years on
his 396 and was his friend.

Please Keep him in your prayers as well. He is dealing with
serious health issues.

We sure wished we could have seen and raced Jim a few more times.
We spent a lot of money because of that White Camaro trying to keep up!

God's Speed Jim!
I believe we will meet again in Heaven.

Last edited by GTX JOHN; 08-27-2023 at 12:45 AM.
GTX JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 01:21 PM   #12
Sgrossi7158

Liked 21 Times in 7 Posts

It is a tough time for those of us that were fortunate enough to know Jim Meador. Jim was a highly intelligent man with a quick wit and great sense of humor. For those of us who raced against Jim, you knew what to expect; usually a tight package for him and a loss for you.
Jim began racing Stock Eliminator in the early 1990’s. Jim’s first race car was a 1969 Chevelle, G/SA, affectionately known as "The Great White Whale." The Chevelle was originally owned and raced by fellow Division 7 racer and close friend George Stassi. Later, Jim raced a 1967 Camaro, D/SA, which was the first complete ground up race car that Phil Mandella (PMR Race Cars) had ever built.
Almost immediately, Jim became a heavy hitter on the west coast, amassing numerous National, Divisional and Class wins, including a Division 7 Championship. Jim was an amazing driver indeed. However, he was much more than that. He was great friend to many including my late father Jim Grossi Sr. and late Uncle Frank Grossi. Jim was also a great friend and mentor to my brothers Jim Jr, Darin and I.

Although the loss of Jim is tough to take, I am comforted in knowing my father Jim Sr. and uncle Frank are together again with their good friend.

Sante Grossi

Last edited by Sgrossi7158; 08-27-2023 at 02:51 PM.
Sgrossi7158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 02:27 PM   #13
Carl Battis

Liked 184 Times in 36 Posts

Over the years I had a lot of interesting conversations with Jim about all sorts of things unrelated to drag racing, and lots of talks about the sport we all love as well. Talking with him was like finding a book of short stories tucked away on the bookshelf - hours of entertainment and an endless variety of tales that you didn’t want to end.

When I was a new drag racer and trying to figure out how to put it all together Jim treated me like I was a wily veteran….not like the rookie who couldn’t find his butt with both hands. I always looked forward to listening to him with his dry sense of humor and incredible memory for detail. A co-worker of mine lived in Jim’s neighborhood, and they became acquainted through their love of cars. Jim took my friend under his wing and treated him like one of the guys too - something my friend still talks about.

On the track Jim was a force to reckoned with. I raced him a few times in his final set of events in which he drove. And while it was fun to trade a few good natured barbs with him in the staging lanes, it wasn’t fun to see the win light come on in his lane each time. The last time we went down the track in his penultimate race he dropped an .003 light on me!

Prayers for his family and friends who will mourn him here on earth. Jim just turned on the win light again - this time in God’s lane as he crossed the finish line to spend eternity with all of the great racers already there ahead of him.

RIP Jim - you will be missed.
Carl Battis is offline   Reply With Quote