Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-14-2020, 05:14 PM   #71
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts
Default Re: What Race Oil do you trust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Fazio View Post
Does this differ with steel vs aluminum pans?
Yes, Aluminum pan dissipates the heat off the engine oil faster than a steel oil pan. The steel oil pan will keep the heat for a longer period.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 11:55 AM   #72
curtis reed

Liked 89 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Fazio View Post
Does this differ with steel vs aluminum pans?

Well I should know this year. Ran steel for years and put on an aluminum pan for this coming year. I also run a diaper and still use my oil heater.
curtis reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-15-2020, 11:58 AM   #73
curtis reed

Liked 89 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427FE View Post
How much heat do you want in the oil?

SSDiv6 gave a good answer. In my experience it is really hard to get/keep that much heat in mine unless I am making laps within 20 minutes. The double races I hit and making late rounds of both I will see 250°. I am on alcohol though.

I try my best to never hit the water with less than 150° oil temp though.
curtis reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:34 PM   #74
Jim Caughlin

Liked 693 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
You want around 220 degrees F minimum to get rid of the water vapors and burn any deposits to prevent sludge. Dinosaur oil, 220 degrees F to 250 degrees F. Synthetic oil 230 degrees F to 280 degrees F.
Really hard to get the kind of temps needed into oil in the real world, even if you have an oil pan or oil tank heater on your car, you'll be surprised how quickly it cools down just driving to the lanes. Anything short of hot lapping and your oil is probably too cold. Same goes for trans and rearend.
Interesting sidenote, occasionally on the dyno, you accidentally get the oil too hot prior to a pull, counterintuitively the best thing you can do is fire the motor and it instantly sucks the heat out of the oil, it will drop 20 degrees if not more. Bringing up oil temp with the heater while the motor is turned off is easy, very hard to increase oil temp while the motor is running. Monitoring oil temp on a dyno definitely proves that cold oil sucks a lot of HP.
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-15-2020, 08:09 PM   #75
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Caughlin View Post
Really hard to get the kind of temps needed into oil in the real world, even if you have an oil pan or oil tank heater on your car, you'll be surprised how quickly it cools down just driving to the lanes. Anything short of hot lapping and your oil is probably too cold. Same goes for trans and rearend.
Interesting sidenote, occasionally on the dyno, you accidentally get the oil too hot prior to a pull, counterintuitively the best thing you can do is fire the motor and it instantly sucks the heat out of the oil, it will drop 20 degrees if not more. Bringing up oil temp with the heater while the motor is turned off is easy, very hard to increase oil temp while the motor is running. Monitoring oil temp on a dyno definitely proves that cold oil sucks a lot of HP.
Jim,

Right on the money on an engine loosing power with cold oil.

How many times have you removed the oil cap or valve covers and seen the accumulation of moisture before you make your first run of the day?

I believe the best approach and practice would be to heat up the oil or run the engine until you go above 230 degrees F to get rid of the water vapor and burn the deposits prior to the first run of the day. A heater would be the best way and economical since you would not be running the engine and wasting race fuel.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:34 PM   #76
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,713 Times in 854 Posts

In case you missed the oil heater thread....

https://classracer.com/classforum/sh...hlight=heating
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 12:26 PM   #77
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade_Owens View Post
Asking about Stocker Engines in this thread;
I have used Royal Purple 5w20 for the last few years. After being told time and again there are faster, better protecting oils out there, I'm now ready to look at some other avenues. What good experiences have you had with which companies?
I did try Redline 0-5 once also, it was faster than RP, but my particular engine smoked with it.
I know a bunch of guys preach the Joe Gibbs, but, I also know some of them supposedly said that their lifters wont pump up with it. True or False?

What's your opinions?

Wade O
I didn't read through all the replies.. I have used Lucas 20 race oil for bracket mode for years in mine and Randall's truck also... heads up/class I used Lucas 0 and have had very good results....
as far as pumping up lifters a stocker shouldn't have had a lifter that pumps up for a VERY long time..
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 11:31 AM   #78
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,509 Times in 429 Posts

How about when you have Sherman or Smith "hydraulic" roller lifters? Can thinner oils be counterproductive?
Old 12-20-2020, 12:19 PM   #79
RPM5595

Liked 32 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
There are many great oils out there that provide lots of performance such as Schaefer, Mobil 1, Maxima, HPL and others.

At the same time, I have seen many use the Comp Cams, Total Seal and Driven Break-In oils for normal racing use. By the way, the Comp Cams and Total Seal Break-In oil are made by Driven.

When I was helping a friend of mine with his Comp Eliminator car, one the dry sump hoses was leaking. I loosened up the hose to retighten the hose and had a rag to collect and clean the excess oil. When I looked at the rag, I noticed lots of Copper and other shiny metallic material and asked the owner what oil he was using because the engine was only on its 7 run. He told me he was using one of the brands of break in oil and that his engine builder, a well know engine shop, had told him to only run break in oil. So, at the next race, the engine let go a few rods through the pan and after I took it apart, all the bearings were gone.

I had a chat with Lake Speed Jr. and Nick Ferri about the use of break in oil for normal use on a race engine. Lake Speed Jr, who is a licensed Oil Tribologist and engineer, explained to me that break in oils are just that, a break in oil to be used to breaking in the engine on the dyno or for a limited use on street engine. Nick Ferri shared that he only uses the break in oil on the dyno and then switches to the specific engine oil for the application.

For break in oil, I use Total Seal that still contains the formulation from Lubrizol that was created for breaking in NASCAR engines. For racing use, not in an order of preference, Amsoil, HPL and Maxima. For rear ends, Amsoil synthetic. For manual transmissions, either Amsoil or Type-F trans fluid. For Automatics, tractor hydraulic fluid or Amsoil.
So what is it about break in oil that is bad to use full time? What was the cause for the bearings going away? If the break in oil is better for initial run in how can it be worse for normal operation? This makes no sense to me.
RPM5595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 12:28 PM   #80
Dave Gantz

Liked 228 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM5595 View Post
So what is it about break in oil that is bad to use full time? What was the cause for the bearings going away? If the break in oil is better for initial run in how can it be worse for normal operation? This makes no sense to me.
I think your answers are in this link that SSDiv6 posted.
https://s19529.pcdn.co/wp-content/up...Engine-Oil.jpg
Dave Gantz is offline   Reply With Quote