HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-26-2016, 09:23 PM   #21
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts
Default Re: Factory Cars to Pro Stock in 2018 - Speculative Web Arti

Gary, seven second capable new cars (when turned loose) on 9" tires tried to set the record at the National Open last weekend, and could hardly get down the track.
As a couple of guys have already mentioned, nobody would watch them anyway.
It would be too dangerous.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:25 AM   #22
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 459 Times in 174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Gary, seven second capable new cars (when turned loose) on 9" tires tried to set the record at the National Open last weekend, and could hardly get down the track.
As a couple of guys have already mentioned, nobody would watch them anyway.
It would be too dangerous.
Ed, my friend, I respectfully disagree, in order to get down the track...you do what you have to do. You and I run about the same?...launch RPM and high gear retard are essential.
The notion of big tires takes all of the "want a be" racers out of it...that is wrong.
Keep it 9 inch and watch the results..About the time you turn it to a 14 or 15 inch tire......it is all over. My 2 cents
Old 11-27-2016, 09:45 AM   #23
SSGN

Liked 130 Times in 46 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Factory Cars to Pro Stock in 2018 - Speculative Web Arti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Teuton View Post
The small tires make them look more like showroom cars. Also makes tuners more important as compared with brute hp. Just my 3.5Cents (inflation)
This is it and maybe like the old Top Stock a 10 inch tire would work.

Kevin
SSGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:05 AM   #24
Mark Markow

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

I don't see the 9'' tire working for NHRA. remember its about the television show. aborted runs and downtime from crashes, won't work for live TV. or the national event type fans in the bleachers, they won't be happy with aborted runs and breaks in the program . anyone who has been to one of the so called 10.5 races or whatever outlaw race they are calling it this week , knows that while the racing can exciting. the numerous crashes , blow overs. ect. that occur at these small tire events, would be a disaster for NHRA. plus just think about how much more the entry fees would go up for us sportsman racers, having to cover the rising insurance costs associated with it. . I like the idea of the current factory shootout cars, but let them run a 14x32 and any rear suspension.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:08 AM   #25
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Markow View Post
I don't see the 9'' tire working for NHRA. remember its about the television show. aborted runs and downtime from crashes, won't work for live TV. or the national event type fans in the bleachers, they won't be happy with aborted runs and breaks in the program . anyone who has been to one of the so called 10.5 races or whatever outlaw race they are calling it this week , knows that while the racing can exciting. the numerous crashes , blow overs. ect. that occur at these small tire events, would be a disaster for NHRA. plus just think about how much more the entry fees would go up for us sportsman racers, having to cover the rising insurance costs associated with it. . I like the idea of the current factory shootout cars, but let them run a 14x32 and any rear suspension.
Agree!!
Old 11-27-2016, 10:41 AM   #26
Tom Meyer

Liked 301 Times in 105 Posts

By letting them get away from the stock configuration of the 9 in tire they would not be stock legal anymore, and could not fall back into the class if you did not make the cut. What does it pay to win Pro Stock now days, I am sure the payout would not be the same. Tom
Old 11-27-2016, 10:42 AM   #27
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

We're all still missing the point. Cars will still cost $100 to $200 thousand dollars.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:08 AM   #28
Mark Markow

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy wilson View Post
We're all still missing the point. Cars will still cost $100 to $200 thousand dollars.
that's peanuts for a pro operation.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:15 AM   #29
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,042 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Markow View Post

This.

Seriously, I have no idea where this fixation of making someone (especially someone else, because I doubt any of us will run the class) effectively race on an ice rink comes from.

Putting 14"x32" slicks on them will only make them look more like race cars, and effectively make them back half cars. It would make them viable race cars that can be raced, instead of wrecked constantly.

However, we just saw what massive rule changes over a short period did for the class. Parity went to Hell, and so did the cost, not to mention the car count. Does anyone really think this entire rewrite of the class will work? A small tire wreck fest, which NHRA and the fans will hate, and a factoring nightmare, which NHRA will despise, not to mention handle poorly, is not the salvation of the class. It is merely replacing the class with something else, which is entirely unlikely to survive.

The cars themselves could be reigned in by giving them until 2018 to comply with a new body rule (templates, exactly like production cars, roof and quarter panels based on a body in white) and some common sense engine rules. But what can't be done, it seems, is convince Ford and Mopar to invest in a cylinder head program.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:25 AM   #30
Rick Leininger Jr.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Meyer View Post
By letting them get away from the stock configuration of the 9 in tire they would not be stock legal anymore, and could not fall back into the class if you did not make the cut. What does it pay to win Pro Stock now days, I am sure the payout would not be the same. Tom
With the 14x32 tire, they still could fall back into Super Stock.

If the current competitive Pro Stock crop decided to run this proposed new configuration, there will several that will "fall back".
Rick Leininger Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote