HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-07-2016, 10:53 AM   #1
Ron Ortiz

Liked 255 Times in 87 Posts
Default No tech penalties.

So lets say that they pass the "no tech" rule and have the racers be responsible for safety and legality.

Not a bad idea when you consider that most of the racers participate in more than one race per year. They have repeatedly been tech throughout the year. Most of the time, nothing has changed and this would speed things up.

Tech inspectors usually find safety issues that have to be remedied right then and there or are told to have fixed by the next race. Of course motor, trans, rear end modifications or improvements should be re-tech.

My question is what are going to be the penalties if an in-fracture occurs during time trials or eliminations. Is there a fine, or is the racer DQ'd, or a slap on the wrist. How severe should the penalty be for different violations. This is a whole new can of worms. If a racer has cheated through the drive train, should he be banned or warned with a fine. Should the other racers be allowed to handle the situation behind closed doors or in the back forty. Is there a death penalty. What happens if is is a "chosen" racer who violates some rules, are they on equal ground as a common racer. Who handles the penalties, your DD or Glendora, or the tech person themselves. Will this turn into a East / West coast affair.

Why are we even worried about this, we have no say. Appears that we are not that welcomed by all the enhancements.

Ron Ortiz
U/SA not my sandbox
Old 12-07-2016, 12:11 PM   #2
Lew Silverman
VIP Member

Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts
Default Re: No tech penalties.

Ultimately it's still the racers responsibility to have a vehicle that meets the corresponding rules for the class he or she has entered, and that all appropriate safety equipment is properly fitted and used correctly. After all, the Tech Inspectors are only human, and humans make mistakes, so if something is missed, who's left "holding the bag"? YOU ARE! That won't change if and when the NHRA adopts a "no tech" approach to Sportsman racing. I personally think that it is a recipe for disaster, but more on that later!
Lew Silverman #2070
"The Wagon Master" N/SA
Lew Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:12 PM   #3
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Because of tech inspections at my local tracks my car is safer and, because I know it's weight, easier to class.

I can understand a once per season master tech - not a full ETI - in which the safety gear and chassis stuff like shields and u joint loop are checked and a sticker issued. That would speed things up, but I still like the responsibility the racer has of showing up at tech and explaining any new stuff.

When I drove my parents Mustang to Milan Dragway for a Sunday in the mid 60's Cliff the tech guy put the pure stocker on a ramp and checked under the hood and in the trunk. At the time I was the "staff photographer" taking a day off. Everyone treated the same.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:45 AM   #4
nhrasa

Liked 95 Times in 12 Posts

I would guess that most of the racers posting on class racer are safety minded individuals and wouldn't jeopardize their own safety or that of others. Most of the cars I compete against have been thru tech. many times and probably don't need to be inspected over and over.

As far as performance enhancements, convene a panel of peers and empower them to use performance averages and if someone is lapping the field, use the current protest system to govern.
nhrasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:55 AM   #5
countrypuppy4865

Liked 183 Times in 62 Posts

At the end of last year when they were testing the system, they did spot checks in the lanes when we were in line to run. I would assume they would still do this with the no tech system.
countrypuppy4865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:48 PM   #6
Ron Ortiz

Liked 255 Times in 87 Posts

Appreciate the responses, but the question has not been addressed. What would the penalty if a racer has been found to have been in violation of the safety rules during eliminations. I believe that if it is a drive train infraction it would be automatic disqualification. What about in the staging lanes during qualifying. I understand that most of the racers have their act together, but what about the newer racer who shows up at a race. What are the guidelines? What is the criteria/

Ron Ortiz
U/SA just a thinking.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:30 PM   #7
ken robinson

Liked 164 Times in 69 Posts

Ron , you get the DQ..just like 2016 ....as for fines only if in the elim. it could be the DQ racer refunds the gate fee of any racer beaten in the elim . ? The spot check is a good idea in the lanes .
ken robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:52 PM   #8
Denny Steward

Liked 112 Times in 20 Posts

Here is a copy of the letter sent to me after I e-mailed Peter Clifford about my concerns with a no pre race tech.

Denny,
My name is Glen Gray and I am the Vice President of Technical Operations. Peter Clifford has asked me to respond to your concerns about the elimination of pre-race technical inspections. There are many rumors about the new technical inspection program floating around and these rumors are causing some people to worry about inspections at NHRA National Events. I hope I can eliminate your concerns about this new program that will go into effect next year at the first Pomona event.
Some people are concerned that eliminating technical inspections the day before racing starts will mean that cars will not be inspected as well as they are today. This is definitely not the case, and in fact we hope to improve technical inspections with this new process. This process will help eliminate the possibility that a racer will swap out safety or performance related equipment after the pre-race inspection. The practice of switching safety and performance related equipment after pre-race inspections happens more frequently than you would expect. Unfortunately, the car that is pre-race inspected is not always a true representation of the car that the racers run down the track. This new process will allow the tech department to check safety equipment as well as other performance related items periodically throughout the weekend.*
You will see several of the tech department team in the staging lanes, at the scales, and at fuel check at various times during the weekend inspecting cars. When necessary we will follow up on something we have found by going to the pits to perform further inspections. As always, it is ultimately the racer’s responsibility to have the correct safety and performance related equipment. For racers who demonstrate over time that they are not capable of having the proper safety equipment, there will be penalties including, but not limited to: (disqualification from an event, suspension, fines, etc.). We will work with racers whenever possible, but when it is apparent that they can’t or are unwilling to follow rules we may have to levy penalties.
Besides improved technical inspection, the racer should also benefit in other ways. For instance, this program will allow racers that work full-time to take one less day off from work to participate in an event. Additionally, racers will benefit by waiting in fewer lines.
Because this process is so drastically different from how things were done in the past, I understand your and other racer’s concerns. The NHRA tech department plans to provide more educational information about this program to all racers via NHRARacer.com before the 2017 NHRA National Event season begins. Please feel free to email me if you have any further questions or concerns. Thanks for your interest and participation in NHRA Drag Racing.
Glen Gray
NHRA
Vice President Technical Operations
Old 12-14-2016, 04:29 PM   #9
novassdude

Liked 133 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Steward View Post
Here is a copy of the letter sent to me after I e-mailed Peter Clifford about my concerns with a no pre race tech.

I think one thing that is going to be a big question is what happens when a racer is found illegal half way thru a race? Just for conversation sake say the racer is found to have a performance enhancing or electronic enhancement that helped him win a few rounds. Now you have a couple racers that lost to an illegal car. Do they get put back in the ladder some how?
novassdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:22 PM   #10
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 654 Times in 254 Posts

My guess would be tech is done before first round. That way a dq will only require a change on ladder. Fuel and weight should stay during elimination.
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote