HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

View Poll Results: Should Indy Be All Run Field In Stock?
ONLY 128 Fastest Cars under index 133 66.50%
ALL RUN FIELD 67 33.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2014, 01:09 PM   #81
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Liked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr
Default Re: Should Indy be an All Run Field in Stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
How is that guy any different than the guy who shows up, races 3 rounds of class, doesn't win, and doesn't go far enough under to get in on time?

Driver A won class (NHRA's definition of a Class Winner)
Driver B lost in class

Hell, with today's rule, you could get a racer who WINS class, winning 3-4 rounds, but is only -.80 or -.85 and not one of the 128 quickest (-.88 bump I think this year). He's getting screwed too. He would not have been ten years ago.

It worked for fifty-plus years. You won Class; you raced in the race. The field was then filled with the quickest non-Class winning cars to make 128 (or whatever number back in the day). Then those who could not do either spoke up and we have what we have now (if you're not rich or have an under factored car or a modern car, stay home).

Maybe we should just make it Class Winners ONLY (and ALL Class winners) run eliminations. Forty or fifty Class Winners = 40-50 cars for round one. That would speed up the AHFS process a bunch. And piss a lot of people off I'm sure.

Last edited by Mike Carr; 09-20-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Mike Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #82
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts
Default Re: Should Indy be an All Run Field in Stock? Answer: NO

Good point about class winners since there are no freebies any longer anyway. Win your class or combo. Not likely to be many bump ins anyway and if there is, there racer fought their way in.
All run makes it easy for NhRA and some guys that would like to just show up, but Indy should always be performance oriented. Indy is not broken. Breaking out the factory cars or getting some of the factors within 100 hp of reality would do it.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #83
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,494 Times in 426 Posts

Class winners should get in, solo or not, go back to that .5 under to win class rule. Most of the time Indy ruins the obscure combo for the rest of its life anyway so who cares. Let the FS cars duke it out for a spot in the eliminator, traditional HP rules better apply. It takes a few spots away from factory race cars eating up the top half of the ladder and opens them up for some 60s muscle, it also lets the AHFS do its job because people will be mashing the index to win class. It will also diversify the field a little bit and I think the crowd would like to see different makes and speeds going down the track. PS this is coming from a guy who has never won class.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:20 PM   #84
Wade Mahaffey

Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts

I have the most respect for the "fast guy" that's for sure, that is if he built it and made it fast himself. To me, the fast cars in "Class" is more about the builders and tuners, more than the driver. And in many cases it's simply more about the money. I see the veterans on here say that people should work on their combination so they can go fast. But then I see folks spend 150K on a COPO or Mustang or a Challenger that can't build anything. So to me, I can see that you can buy your way toward the top of the qualifying sheet. And the poor guy that has worked his combination for 20-30 years...and was toward the top at one time...can't race with the new cars. Now if that same guy...that was on top...showed up to Indy in a few years where there were 128 of the new cars, his 20-30 years was for not. And now this ole veteran that spent his life dedicated to class racing is on the outside looking in....I don't think so! Show a little respect! What if a racer is in points contention and needs that race to maybe win a championship but qualifies 129...whoa, you gotta be kidding...can't race? WTH The fast guys have a chance to show how much money they have, or how smart they are at tuning during "Class ". OK there you go. Now if one has the Grade points, and your car fits the rule book....and you pay for the event entry, You should be able to race the Eliminator. Don't forget, we should be trying to retain racers, and recruit new racers! Not do anything that would/could push someone over the edge of quitting. If you only get to participate during a portion of the event...then you should only have to pay for a portion on the entry. Yes it should be all run...the more the better

Wade Mahaffey
Wade Mahaffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:34 PM   #85
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Seriously?

The three OEM's that are building the cars and getting them their factory super car showdown.

That wasn't hard at all.
OK. All three currently pay contingency. Should they move that money?
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:36 PM   #86
GUMP
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
Besides the factories chipping in take a bit off the top of Compton and Co. salaries. It's only for one race, the biggest and the one all class racers aspire to.
It's so easy a caveman can figure it out.
This one is silly.....
Old 09-20-2014, 08:41 PM   #87
GUMP
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete View Post
They Pay Their Own Entry Fee Now To Race In Stock Eliminator Don't They ??

If 80 Cars Show Up In The Factory Stock Class, Than It's 80 x ( $500 To Enter Indy Right ?? ) $4,000 Taken In.

Winner- $2,000
R.U.- $500.
Semi's- $300.
Quarters- $200.
It doesn't work that way for any class, so why do you think the NHRA would do this (even after the math is fixed). What about contingency? Would the manufacturers step up for another category?

Quote:
Plus Maybe The Big 3 Can Add Some $$$$ To The Pot.
Like The Hemi Shoot-Out.
The Hemi cars run in Super Stock.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:02 PM   #88
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,046 Times in 276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
It doesn't work that way for any class, so why do you think the NHRA would do this (even after the math is fixed). What about contingency? Would the manufacturers step up for another category?

The Hemi cars run in Super Stock.
You were asking where the money would/could come from. You were given two examples.

The profit percentage per car is the same, so NHRA makes the exact same amount of money on the factory race cars regardless of what class they enter. The new class does not cost NHRA money. In fact, with a new class, NHRA makes more money.

Well, the manufacturers, for their expenditure, would get a class that showcases their cars. So, it would be to their advantage.

A lot of the Hemi cars do not bother to run eliminations. The Hemi cars do not get a free pass on AHFS hits, either.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:26 PM   #89
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
This one is silly.....
I guess you haven't read enough of my posts to separate the humorous from the serious ones.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:03 AM   #90
Pistol Pete
VIP Member

Liked 688 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
You were asking where the money would/could come from. You were given two examples.

The profit percentage per car is the same, so NHRA makes the exact same amount of money on the factory race cars regardless of what class they enter. The new class does not cost NHRA money. In fact, with a new class, NHRA makes more money.

Well, the manufacturers, for their expenditure, would get a class that showcases their cars. So, it would be to their advantage.

A lot of the Hemi cars do not bother to run eliminations. The Hemi cars do not get a free pass on AHFS hits, either.
Thank You Alan For Explaining This To Gump.

And Yes I Know The Hemi Shoot Out Cars Run In SS, mr. gump.