HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-18-2021, 08:22 PM   #31
Chip THELEGEND Johnson

Liked 280 Times in 79 Posts
Default Re: Optima Battery

In class cars using a FUNCTIONABLE alternator a Red Top should be fine. Most of these cars are not race on a regular basis and don't get in a round robin situation. I ran them for years. I do know when they went to Mexico the quality and longevity suffered. Sounds like that may be better know from optima Jim's post.
In a bracket car or one with all the electronics you need something better. I do a lot of bracket racing too which includes double entries and 9 or 10 round races. Ive made 15 + runs in a 12 hr stretch on multiple occasions. When you get in the late rounds as many as 5+ runs in an hour with no alternator. In a situation like that I like to run ROCK 16V.
Batteries are like Coke and Pepsi Everybody has a favorite. That being said most battery failures are user generated. Take care of them charge them properly with the right charger and generator and you will have good life
Chip THELEGEND Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:52 AM   #32
OptimaJim

Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts

Hi Race Clean. OPTIMA Batteries was started in the United States in the 1970s, from technology developed by the Gates Corporation. They sold the brand to the Gylling Group in 1991, who then sold the brand to Johnson Controls in 2000, who then sold their entire battery division to private equity in 2018. Throughout each ownership, building the absolute best product and bringing it to market has been the focus for our brand. We have never outsourced production, re-branded, re-spec'd or otherwise compromised our commitment to making the best batteries possible. YellowTops are heavier than their RedTop counterparts and offer slightly more reserve capacity and the ability to be deep-cycled, while the RedTops offer slightly more cranking amps.

Curtis, I apologize, I thought I had included a link to a virtual tour of our production facility in Monterrey, Mexico, but it doesn't look like it worked, so I'll try again here. Our main distribution hub is in Laredo, Texas.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries
OptimaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:16 AM   #33
curtis reed

Liked 89 Times in 50 Posts

Thank you for the answer Jim.
curtis reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:14 AM   #34
Race Clean

Liked 129 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimaJim View Post
Hi Race Clean. OPTIMA Batteries was started in the United States in the 1970s, from technology developed by the Gates Corporation. They sold the brand to the Gylling Group in 1991, who then sold the brand to Johnson Controls in 2000, who then sold their entire battery division to private equity in 2018. Throughout each ownership, building the absolute best product and bringing it to market has been the focus for our brand. We have never outsourced production, re-branded, re-spec'd or otherwise compromised our commitment to making the best batteries possible. YellowTops are heavier than their RedTop counterparts and offer slightly more reserve capacity and the ability to be deep-cycled, while the RedTops offer slightly more cranking amps.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries
OK,I dont remember seeing them(current shape) before the early 90's so I thought thats when it started, didn't find any info on it before the 90's!
Thanks