HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-12-2023, 11:27 AM   #1
Phil S/ST

Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Default IHRA Announcement

What are your thoughts on the IHRA bringing back .90 classes and Top classes??
Phil S/ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 12:45 PM   #2
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 984 Times in 299 Posts
Default Re: IHRA Announcement

I think is all depends on what area you live in, there is a lot of racers in the Northeast who I've talked with that are still pretty salty about IHRA dumping them 7 years ago, I understand it's all new management and leadership but, a lot of people are still not happy. Also here in D1 land, most tracks went to WDRA that were on the IHRA tour last time they were around or have become Dollar Generals. MIR, Pittsburgh, Empire are WDRA, Capitol is being leased out to a gentlemen who is about grudge racing and N/T things, Richmond is gone, I think Skyview is still open but, that was always a tough tow for many. So you would have probably Motormile in VA unless they can switch some tracks or just merge WDRA & IHRA back together. I also think alot of the independent run sportsman series are taking off and people are happy with running that. So time will tell.
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 01:00 PM   #3
Lenny5160_v2

Liked 156 Times in 62 Posts

In my part of the country, I don't think there is any impact. Even if there were tracks in the area, I'd say there isn't enough information available to say how exciting this is.

With that said, it isn't a bad thing to have more of "our kind of racing" available.
Old 06-12-2023, 02:18 PM   #4
Steve Stasko

Liked 230 Times in 121 Posts

Skyview has been closed for quite a few years now. IHRA has no Northeast presence anymore.

This announcement will only affect Divisions 2 and 3 for the most part...and that all depends on what kind sanctioning body silly season happens between now and next spring.
Steve Stasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 08:16 AM   #5
SEN

Liked 10 Times in 2 Posts

It is a step in the right direction! The two race weekend and a good division director made IHRA division 4 fun.
SEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 08:49 AM   #6
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,649 Times in 521 Posts

I am mixed on this, as Lenny said, "it isn't a bad thing to have more of "our kind of racing" available." i totally agree, Now IHRA used to be a great venue, i was the world champ twice, once during the points and once during the one race takes all deal, (of which i hated). winning one race at the right time, doesn't necessarily make you the best.
oh well, i digress,
The reason i stopped racing with the Ihra was the lack of contingency. it just didn't make sense to travel to lose money or maybe break even. they also combined nationals and divisionals together and that took all the luster out of winning a national event, again, it was just who was lucky enough to win on saturday instead of sunday.
I would say if they bring our racing back they need to look hard at the Bill Bader days, Get rid of red tape, and treat the racers like they want us there! and have a good contingency list before they even try to have an event, I wish them luck, and if they get it right, i would support them, but in the northeast we already have the mid atlantic .90 series that is doing a great job of fulfilling the void....
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 09:26 AM   #7
Phil S/ST

Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts

Well said Keith!! I loved racing the IHRA back in the day. Before they split into divisions I remember running a bunch of national/divisional meets chasing points. I think the new IHRA can make a go of it but never at the level of 90s or 2000s.I also think they will need Stock/Super Stock. Start small, keep the racer wants and needs in mind and its possible to have a good series.
Phil S/ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 09:42 AM   #8
Charlie Yannetti

Liked 179 Times in 77 Posts

Very well stated, Keith.. but it seems that when you're describing the lack of contingency, you're describing what NHRA has become.. and NHRA has made it very hard for companies to become involved with all the fees involved.. thus, the infamous MIDWAY, has become a joke.. I don't display ANYONE'S decals after bad experiences trying to collect what was supposedly promised..

That being said, I wouldn't be against IHRA making another run at this, and giving racers venue options.. HOWEVER, in the northeast, there were very few venues for IHRA to operate in, and travelling is getting way too expensive..

I've become a fan of the local organizations stepping up to provide good racing, and better prize money, than NHRA.. I'm sure each Division has been watching the Mid Atlantic .90 Association in Division 1, and several have followed suit.. I believe that this, with some decent marketing, is our future.. JUST SAYIN'..
Charlie Yannetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 06-17-2023, 07:16 AM   #9
Chip THELEGEND Johnson

Liked 280 Times in 79 Posts

Loved the old IHRA. Going to be hard to duplicate that. Looks like they are going to include Bracket cars that could be a hot mess. Also NO STOCK SUPERSTOCK. Those were the 2 biggest classes
Chip THELEGEND Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 08-06-2023, 12:23 PM   #10
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts

As I posted on another site...I think It is a step in the right direction, but I won't get excited until Modified/Super Stock/ Stock are back. Then I will dust off some of my old iron and race with them again. I enjoyed IHRA racing