HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-19-2015, 04:24 PM   #1
Tom Joseph

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Stockers Beware

In tech Thursday At Atlanta dragway I got booted out for an illegal battery,fake display battery, up front which was in the car when I bought it. Being ignorant I had no idea this was a killing offense. The tech guy went straight to it like a hound on a rabbit and sent me to the NHRA trailer where they promptly told me I'm DQ ed for that race. They said they had already thrown a few out this year and would not give me the opportunity to fix the problem even if we fixed it right then and there. I tried to pay to re enter the car under another driver's name and no dice, although they were 100+ cars light of a field, we had passed the cut off date. BS. I'll chaulk this one up as a learning experience and don't let it happen to you.
FYI This was in my E/SA 68 Camaro

Last edited by Tom Joseph; 05-19-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Tom Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:49 PM   #2
Steve Williams

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Stockers Beware

I might be mistaken, but I thought NHRA fired their warning shot on this deal last year at a National event. After that it seemed like a bulletin was put out with info that basically stated if caught you would be bounced. I hate that happened to you. A $1000 mistake. Entry, fuel there and back and whatever else not to race hurts.
Steve Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:00 PM   #3
Tom Joseph

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Williams View Post
I might be mistaken, but I thought NHRA fired their warning shot on this deal last year at a National event. After that it seemed like a bulletin was put out with info that basically stated if caught you would be bounced. I hate that happened to you. A $1000 mistake. Entry, fuel there and back and whatever else not to race hurts.
Thanks Steve but I bought the car recently and wasnt aware of the rule. The good news is I live 80 miles from commerce so that 80 something ft rig didn't burn too much fuel and Danny said they would roll the money to another event as he knows me well and knows I just got it and would never cheat especially when I have to add weight to make E. Hope this helps some one else.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:32 PM   #4
Bob Gullett
VIP Member

Liked 414 Times in 92 Posts

At Indy last year a fellow had a borrowed car to run in stock. Can't remember his name but same deal. Had a fake battery up front. Pleaded his case but to no avail. Mine was checked. Plus in class before my run I was asked to open the trunk to see my fuel cell. It was check for temperature to make sure I'm guessing the fuel wasn't "artificially" cooled. Plus my spare tire was a four bolt spare saver wheel. I was told after it was checked first round that I could be tossed for it but they just said technically the tire has to fit the bolt pattern of the car and they would let me go this time. There's one in there now that will bolt on! Always something isn't there.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:38 PM   #5
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gullett View Post
At Indy last year a fellow had a borrowed car to run in stock. Can't remember his name but same deal. Had a fake battery up front. Pleaded his case but to no avail. Mine was checked. Plus in class before my run I was asked to open the trunk to see my fuel cell. It was check for temperature to make sure I'm guessing the fuel wasn't "artificially" cooled. Plus my spare tire was a four bolt spare saver wheel. I was told after it was checked first round that I could be tossed for it but they just said technically the tire has to fit the bolt pattern of the car and they would let me go this time. There's one in there now that will bolt on! Always something isn't there.
...not only the bolt pattern, but you must also be able to pick up the tire too.
I know of racers that were told to pick up the spare and they couldn't...it appears the tire had been filled with either cement or lots of lead!
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:53 PM   #6
Charley Downing

Liked 625 Times in 86 Posts

That's interesting I know NHRA tech found one this past weekend in a Stocker at the Norwalk pts race and he was aloud to fix it and go through tech again. I guess different rules for different divisions.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:22 PM   #7
Tom Joseph

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Downing View Post
That's interesting I know NHRA tech found one this past weekend in a Stocker at the Norwalk pts race and he was aloud to fix it and go through tech again. I guess different rules for different divisions.
I just went thru all the bulletins and found the one from indy and two more but that was before I had this car and never looked at stock any thing. The rule says" at the minimum dq" so the guy in Norwalk had a nice tech that was not looking to be a hard ***. QUESTION.... a spare tire is optional isn't it?

Last edited by Tom Joseph; 05-19-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:24 PM   #8
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,869 Times in 641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Downing View Post
Kinda of like someone drops bag of ice on the track at Vegas, more like different rules for different people.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:39 PM   #9
Dean Feiock

Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gullett View Post
Plus in class before my run I was asked to open the trunk to see my fuel cell. It was check for temperature to make sure I'm guessing the fuel wasn't "artificially" cooled.
Bob,
When did cooling your fuel become an offense? Have they made cool cans illegal then also?
Old 05-19-2015, 08:44 PM   #10
Bob Gullett
VIP Member

Liked 414 Times in 92 Posts

Funny thing is I tried freezing the fuel on the dyno. Was worth nothing! Lol.