HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-07-2016, 09:06 PM   #91
Pinballer

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Resurrecting the Rambler

Been a couple weeks since my last report, mainly because this is a super busy time of year for me as far as the pinball business. Lots happening in late March and all thru April in that world. And in what spare time I did have recently, the winds were howling across the prairie making it nearly unbearable to do what I really wanted to do on the car which was to try and get the hood prepped for paint so the whole car could be red again. (Even though the overall paint quality of the car is certainly not what I'd call good, that blue hood just bugs the crap out of me). So instead, I settled on doing some more mop-up tasks in between frequent excursions to go get more pinballs gathered up from sellers for eventual transport to their new owners out east at a major show in Allentown Pa coming up in early May. After that though, it's full speed ahead on race car!

These last couple week's fascinating work included things like re-engineering an old factory AMC radio to fit into the dash properly and getting the antique Sun gauge cluster mounted. Doesn't sound like these should be something that hogged up an entire evening and one afternoon to get mounted, but they sure did. After all, it takes some time to go through your pile of spare AMC radios and weigh them all to see which one you gotta have! When I selected the lightest one and got all done, the look of the dash improved a lot, and I only have one more empty hole left to fill on the center pod of the dash. A lighted fuel pump toggle switch is slated to go there when I get to the fuel system re-do someday. Initially I'll be running off the regular factory fuel pump and gas tank just to get the car mobile, so it's not like it's a hurry up thing. If I could just quit that regular day job...I'd have a lot more time! (but no money)

A few shots of the recent work shown here...Still looking for my matching Sun water temp gauge I *know* I have stashed somewhere so it can mount to the left side of the 3-gauge panel. The matching fuel pressure gauge and it's chrome cup will go on the outside of the car of course.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_2016-04-04_011651.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	33230   Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_2016-04-04_034634.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	33231   Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_2016-04-07_075352.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	33232  

Old 04-07-2016, 09:35 PM   #92
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,627 Times in 1,292 Posts

Just curious why you are installing a radio In a stock eliminator car ?
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:20 PM   #93
Pinballer

From the way I read the rule book, the car has to have a complete dashboard that appears factory original, so I can't leave a gaping hole in my dash. Doesn't say things in the dash have to work, they just have to be there.
AMC did not have a radio-delete option on an AMX in 1979--they were normally pretty well-optioned cars with plussed-up interiors--or I would have had the chance to leave it out. Maybe some of their ultra-cheap-for-fleets Spirits of that era had the radio delete option, but I can't truthfully claim it on the model I'm building. The last thing I need is to haul to an event and get tossed for having no radio, so I'm playing it safe. The 2.8 pounds is worth it, and I can lose that much body weight to offset it! No cake for me...
Old 04-08-2016, 02:09 AM   #94
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
Just curious why you are installing a radio In a stock eliminator car ?
Where else are you going to hide the delay box? Remember those days?
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:33 AM   #95
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinballer View Post
From the way I read the rule book, the car has to have a complete dashboard that appears factory original, so I can't leave a gaping hole in my dash. Doesn't say things in the dash have to work, they just have to be there.
AMC did not have a radio-delete option on an AMX in 1979--they were normally pretty well-optioned cars with plussed-up interiors--or I would have had the chance to leave it out. Maybe some of their ultra-cheap-for-fleets Spirits of that era had the radio delete option, but I can't truthfully claim it on the model I'm building. The last thing I need is to haul to an event and get tossed for having no radio, so I'm playing it safe. The 2.8 pounds is worth it, and I can lose that much body weight to offset it! No cake for me...
Trust me on this one, you will be One of the few Stockers in the lanes with a radio....You can FAB your own radio delete plate....Would be a wise idea to join us at Indy Pts meet, walk thru the staging lanes and OBSERVE.....might save you a lot of trouble down the road.....Ed Fernandez , quit being a wise guy ....LOL...!!

Last edited by MR DERBY CITY; 04-08-2016 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:39 PM   #96
Sean Marconette

Liked 165 Times in 60 Posts

Most use the spot where the radio was for a switch panel or gauge location. I have seen more golf carts at the track with radio's than I have ever seen in a Stock or SS car. Your radio is cool, but not needed.

Thanks for sharing your build!
Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:19 PM   #97
Pinballer

Those who know me realize putting a radio back in a STK car would not be out of character at all for me. That being said, look at what I'm building here! Being exclusive won't bother me too much.

But Ed has ruined my dreams of hiding the delay box inside the radio. What should I do now? Nitrous bottle under the back seat?
Old 04-08-2016, 05:19 PM   #98
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Brian , In your own words...can't truthfully claim it ....this really concerns me....if you build this car to the Letter of the rule book, you will really be challenged to run the index.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:15 PM   #99
Pinballer

We can only wait and see how it all turns out.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:33 PM   #100
jmantle

Liked 137 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
Brian , In your own words...can't truthfully claim it ....this really concerns me....if you build this car to the Letter of the rule book, you will really be challenged to run the index.
???? I read the rule book, I built my car to be legal. It has run 14.29 on my 15.50 index.
I really don't know where you're coming from. I always thought part of S/SS was to be legal, not to see how much you can get away with.

Jim Mantle V/SA 6632
jmantle is offline   Reply With Quote