HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-11-2024, 05:37 PM   #21
1700camaro

Liked 43 Times in 25 Posts
Default Re: Beware of Summit Branded braided hose!!!

https://proshop.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220890b

Their statement.
1700camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 06:45 PM   #22
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 400 Times in 191 Posts

I just called the Pro shop and asked if they are off shore and the answer was YES!
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 07:15 PM   #23
Angelo DiTocco

Liked 172 Times in 38 Posts

I have always used Earl's for my race car plumbing - and they have generally been very reliable.... I did have hoses spring leaks twice - both times it was fuel lines. Once # 10 main feed and the other a # 8 return line from the pump. Both lines were at least 10 years old maybe a few more than that. I have always run VP C-11 fuel in the class cars. Both times the leaks sprung after the car was stored for the winter. Anyway - does make me think its the fuels we use.
So here is an interesting observation - In the dragster I run C-14.... and here is what I noticed..... When I store C-11 in a VP fuel jug somehow it always leaks out the bottom... seeps through the seam where the two halves are joined.....stinks up the trailer etc...
I can put C-14 in that SAME jug.... leave it in the trailer in the heat for weeks and it doesn't leak or seep out. Figure that one out ! Anyone who wants to see it can come see me at the races.
So I'm guessing certain fuels are harder on the rubber and contribute to these premature failures.
Angelo DiTocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 07:17 PM   #24
Bob Sherwood

Liked 332 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
you got what you wanted and paid for, JUNK!

Meanwhile, the hoses and fittings in my Firebird are now 21 years old and not one has ever failed! Matter of fact, I’ve never had one fitting nor hose leak in any of my race cars in 32 years. Of course I’ve never used Chinese junk!
1320racer--no-name well you have totally lost any credibility -- same hoses for 21 years ??? - not much to be proud of there -
Bob Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 09:11 PM   #25
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 250 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sherwood View Post
1320racer--no-name well you have totally lost any credibility -- same hoses for 21 years ??? - not much to be proud of there -
he is a legend in his own mind.
David Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 10:36 PM   #26
SDT1DYI

Liked 394 Times in 124 Posts

Welcome to the Global Supply chain.
Many US companies manufacture overseas. Most have faculties to navigate the sourcing of raw materials to ensure the finished product complies with their specifications in these countries.
However when non manufactures such as " distributors" get sold by a offshore vendor that promises
the same quality product at a lower cost , it attracts interest.
Distributors that import products
under their own brand name may or may not have engineers on staff to provide their offshore vendor / manufacture with clear specification requirements for each product being purchased.
Then once received in the USA, does the distributor have an in-house QC inspection program , PMI ( positive material identification) capabilities etc to confirm the product received conforms to the purchase specifications?
There's costs associated to do all of this to provide a quality product.
I don't think many racers would purchase a distributor branded Rod bolt for their motor would they?

Steve Teeter Stk/SS B/SA 620
SDT1DYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 08:51 AM   #27
1320racer
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo DiTocco View Post
I have always used Earl's for my race car plumbing -
As I have until about 10 years ago without issue. My only reason for moving away from Earl’s was my unhappiness with their black anodized fittings turning violet in color. I then tried Fragola which IMO are the worse, not only did the have the same issue with their black fittings, but their swivel fittings sieze up frequently. I have since moved to XRP a few years ago on my Dragster and my Firebird’s fuel system from cell to carb is getting all new XRP hose and fittings right now, after 21 years of leak free, trouble free service from Aeroquip hoses and fittings, as part of the rebuild, upgrading and modernization to my Firebird that started December of 2022.

https://classracer.com/classforum/sh...t=86419&page=3

Also note that I have used Sunoco Race Fuels exclusively, all three blends, Standard/110, Supreme/112 my current fuel for both cars and Maximal/116 over the past 30+ years

Last edited by 1320racer; 03-12-2024 at 11:30 AM.
Liked
Old 03-12-2024, 04:07 PM   #28
sst7250

Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Been there done that, unfortunately with a running car, thankfully hood was off after a quarter final. As soon as it fired up it literally went a blaze. The brand of hose has already been mentioned here, and no its not Jegs or Summit, it is from here. I have since switched to using Fragola and not had issues.

This was Boise in 2013 when we had a fire from a fuel line which leaked internally from the rubber. I lost a radiator, fans, coil, water pump and most of the electrical wiring. Also pretty much burned through the front end of the car. Yes I had a fire system that was deployed but with no hood it likely did nothing, it took another 11 extinguishers and a lot of friends to help put it out.

sst7250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-12-2024, 04:17 PM   #29
1320racer
VIP Member

what brand Al? Most leaks are caused by end user assembly, not failure of the fitting or hose.
Old 03-12-2024, 04:41 PM   #30
Oscarf164

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
As I have until about 10 years ago without issue. My only reason for moving away from Earl’s was my unhappiness with their black anodized fittings turning violet in color. I then tried Fragola which IMO are the worse, not only did the have the same issue with their black fittings, but their swivel fittings sieze up frequently. I have since moved to XRP a few years ago on my Dragster and my Firebird’s fuel system from cell to carb is getting all new XRP hose and fittings right now, after 21 years of leak free, trouble free service from Aeroquip hoses and fittings, as part of the rebuild, upgrading and modernization to my Firebird that started December of 2022.

https://classracer.com/classforum/sh...t=86419&page=3

Also note that I have used Sunoco Race Fuels exclusively, all three blends, Standard/110, Supreme/112 my current fuel for both cars and Maximal/116 over the past 30+ years

I've had similar problems with Fragola. I use pretty much all Aeroquip or Earls now and all Aeroquip hose....so far, the hose has worked well with C12

Last edited by Oscarf164; 03-12-2024 at 04:47 PM.
Oscarf164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked