HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-27-2009, 07:55 AM   #1
sst1226

Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts
Default Fuel Filter Recommendations

Running a single "black" Holley electric pump rated @ 140 GPH free flow, & 120 GPH @ 9 PSI. I have an old Russell filter part #4530 with a removable paper element. According to Russell the filter flows 180 gph @ 7 psi

1. Should I mount this filter before or after the pump?

2. Edelbrock owns Russell and I can't find any way to buy replaceable filters on their website although it gives a part #. What type of fuel filters do you guys use and where do you mount them in relation to the pump?
Old 05-27-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
67ss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Fuel Filter Recommendations

I just went through this. Replaced my blue holley pump with a black holley. Had a Mallory filter with paper element before pump but was told by holley that you should never use a paper element before the pump even though Mallory and BG use paper before their pumps. Who knows. Holley recommends a screen type filter before the pump to make sure you don't get any cavitating of fule at the pump. At any rate I really didn't have room for the paper element filter without running the line up hill which I was trying to fix. I ended up getting an Earl's in line filter with a stainless steel mesh screen (85 microns). Was able to easily plumb it inline with my -8 line before the pump. I screen my fuel when I put it in the cell as well, so I didn't really see any point of running any other tighter mesh filter after the pump.
67ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:40 AM   #3
sst1226

The info I could find on my filter is that the element is a 10 micron filter which If I'm not mistaken means that it can filter very fine particles so it should probably go after the pump. My initial concern is that the fuel pump would just push any particles right through the filter if I mounted it after the pump, but I assume that a 10 micron filter wouldn't allow that.

I too use a funnel with a tight metal mesh screen when I fill the fuel cell up to catch anything particles from the gas can.

According to Holley's website, they reccomend the use of a coarse screen type filter before the pump, which I'm assuming is one rated with a higher micron number and a high-quality pump after the filter which I'm assuming would be rated at a lower micron number to filter out fine particles like a 10 micron?
Old 05-27-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
67ss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Correct. You want a course screen type before the pump (I think they recommend 100 microns) then the tighter filter after the pump if anything at all.

That Earl's is part number 230208 . $46 from Summit.
67ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
sst1226

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-28-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
Jack McCarthy
VIP Member

Liked 352 Times in 92 Posts

aeromotive says thier pump would rather pump some dirt than run partially dry, so they insist the filter be on the motor side of the pump... i also run another one 3 inches from carb

jack
Old 05-28-2009, 03:40 PM   #7
CH.CRAFT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use the funnel with the ss screen when pouring fuel in my cell and have never run a filter in 20 + years with no problems.
CH.CRAFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:35 PM   #8
Jesse Knapp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My car had a BG 400 pump and I filtered my fuel as I poured it into the cell. Didn't want any restriction whatsoever. Never had any problem with it.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:03 PM   #9
Ronnie Smith Jr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you are only using funnel filters and not fuel line filter(s), ensure you do not have fuel cell foam/baffling in the fuel cell. The chemicals will break it down over time and pieces of the foam/baffling will start passing through the fuel system.

Ronnie, Jr.
Ronnie Smith Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #10
sst1226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Smith Jr View Post
If you are only using funnel filters and not fuel line filter(s), ensure you do not have fuel cell foam/baffling in the fuel cell. The chemicals will break it down over time and pieces of the foam/baffling will start passing through the fuel system.

Ronnie, Jr.
Good point, I do have that and the fuel cell is about 20 years old or more. I was thinking about buying a new one but what if I just took the baffling out? Its a Jaz cell and I see that they sell them with and without baffling. Is the baffling just for impact purposes? Does everyone run their cells with the baffling or no?