Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-16-2014, 04:21 AM   #21
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts
Default Re: Most expensive, least helpful and useless advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSale View Post
The pump is the Quickstar 275 with filter and the supply is two -8 lines from the fuel cell to a MF Y and return line is -8 also. Line to the engine bay is -10 and the regulator is a Magnafuel MP 9633 rated at 4 to 12 psi. I had it dialed down to 5 psi at the time of my fire. The carb float was hard to set and gas flowed like a fountain out of the carb. I have an Air Gap manifold and it served as a reservoir for the spilled gas. The starter sparked it. Exciting.

EDIT: Regarding fire extinguishers in race cars, it is addressed in Section 9:3 of General. Extinguishers mounted in race cars must be a minimum of 2.5 lbs. and securely fastened. Flip open clamps are prohibited. I need a bigger extinguisher and an approved clamp.

Dale
The mount I use... http://www.quadratec.com/products/98003_19X0_PG.htm along with http://www.quadratec.com/products/98003_001X_PG.htm#. I suppose it is legal...I feel better with it strapped within reach. I have it mounted high on the passenger side bar so it can be seen from outside in a panic situation.

Last edited by HandOverFist; 10-18-2014 at 11:16 PM. Reason: add images
HandOverFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #22
Rusty Davenport

Liked 100 Times in 26 Posts

Anyone ever played the "Converter Game" ........you would have had to play to understand........wish I had that money back LOL
Old 10-16-2014, 11:01 AM   #23
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
The mount I use... http://www.quadratec.com/products/98003_19X0_PG.htm along with http://www.quadratec.com/products/98003_001X_PG.htm#. I suppose it is legal...I feel better with it strapped within reach. I have it mounted high on the passenger side bar so it can be seen from outside in a panic situation.
Thanks, Rich. That one and the AllStar are listed NHRA approved mounts according to Summit. H3R has an approved two part mount system, too. Smart placement, too.

Stupid Car Stuff: Billet Aluminum Window Cranks...

Dale
FireSale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:15 AM   #24
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Davenport View Post
Anyone ever played the "Converter Game" ........you would have had to play to understand........wish I had that money back LOL
No, but I did play the Transbrake Game.

Ordered a C4 Streetfighter from TCI with the transbrake they had for it. A push in modulator for 71 and later cases was listed. The trans they sent me had a screw in so I looked up the number and it was a 70 case. I found a screw in module for a C4 on-line and it turned to be too big for the case.

I wound up going to a local transmission shop and buying a 72 case and paying them to pull all the parts out of the TCI trans and install them in the 72 case. The gasket they put in had a razor thin cut in it and it blew out the minute I turned the engine over. It's fine now but what an effort!

How about the flex plate shield that wouldn't fit the trans tunnel and had to be replaced with an SFI bell housing at 3X the price?

Dale

Last edited by FireSale; 10-16-2014 at 11:18 AM.
FireSale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:56 AM   #25
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

I played "the converter game" too. Like to have that money back also. I was originally told to call ATI, and buy whatever Charlie Plott recommended. Later blew money on two different "custom" converters that were supposed to be faster than the "just off-the-shelf " ATI. Both converters slowed the car at both ends of the track .

Next was step headers, then merge collectors. Depends on your combo, evidently some run faster with both. I found mine likes big, same sized primaries. It also likes big, straight collectors, over two different sets of merge collectors. Actually, one set did not slow the car, just ran the same. Talking to Jere Stahl, and after him seeing dyno sheets, time slips, and answering engine combo, converter and gear set questions, was told "That engine does not want small primaries or collectors". No sh* t. :-)
What he recommended was close to what I had settled on, except all 8 spark plugs come out, and my headers don't bang the ground if I have to lift during an excessive wheel stand. Also runs 5 Hun quicker, and almost 1 MPH faster. I think it was one of the last sets they built. Probably lucky Jere remembered my from way back.

Test & test, don't expect to get fast reading message boards. Get ready to spend time and money on track rentals, if you want to be somewhat fast.

What was said about trick rings also. I have some piston ring stories. LOL
Old 10-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #26
Bill Diehl

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

I have a garage full of worthless stuff I already blew money on and I haven't even had the stocker down the track yet....the motors still on the stand, wait, the car is still on the rotisserie

I thought they said building a car from scratch would be fun
Bill Diehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:02 PM   #27
Mack Reeves

Liked 44 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Diehl View Post
I have a garage full of worthless stuff I already blew money on and I haven't even had the stocker down the track yet....the motors still on the stand, wait, the car is still on the rotisserie

I thought they said building a car from scratch would be fun
Racin be fun!!! Building ain't.......
Old 10-16-2014, 09:48 PM   #28
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

I know I'm wired weird, but I love building them too. And all the testing.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:27 AM   #29
Mack Reeves

Liked 44 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
I know I'm wired weird, but I love building them too. And all the testing.

You are not weird. You just enjoy what you do....What the old saying goes "Different strokes for different folks"....
Old 10-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #30
Signman

Liked 198 Times in 73 Posts

How about some good advice:
Avoid the trick of the week and ricky racer advise.
What works for me may not for you as there may be a progression of steps before and after, think for yourself do your research no matter the source.
If you happen to receive advice from someone very knowledgeable at least try it.
Ask good questions.
The best advice I received: By the best quality parts you can afford, avoid purchasing the same item twice. You know the Mezier water pump is the way to go but may settle for the cheap generic brand model to start with. Heck you can but 2 or 3 cheap pumps for the cost of the Meziere; well you will need them.