HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Competition

Old 02-12-2017, 12:41 PM   #1
al wisniewski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default crate motor comp

With car counts in comp dwindling,just wondering if there would be any interest in a crate motor class(es). The stocker motors from a Copo,'Stang or Challenger in a dragster or an altered could make for a fun ride with a reasonable investment.
al wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:48 PM   #2
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 180 Times in 110 Posts
Default Re: crate motor comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by al wisniewski View Post
With car counts in comp dwindling,just wondering if there would be any interest in a crate motor class(es). The stocker motors from a Copo,'Stang or Challenger in a dragster or an altered could make for a fun ride with a reasonable investment.
Great Idea...might also work in Pure Stock

Dan
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:34 PM   #3
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Sealed Motor would be better in SS or Stk but would help participation on the cost end wherever it shows up.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:21 AM   #4
al wisniewski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I guess what I was getting at,that there is not a comp class that accommodates the new motors.There is a lot of interest in Stock and Super/Stock with the new car/motor technology,would be kinda cool to see it trickle down into comp as well.
al wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:25 AM   #5
Tony Curcio

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

I'd like to see Ford's overhead cam V-8 in comp, or for that matter, any OHC V-8. I observed the comp teams with 4-cylinder OHC wouldn't remove a valve cover during an entire event. Not only is the maintenance cost a little lower, there is less risk of catastrophic engine failure.
If the OHC is integrated into existing classes, they might eventually need a weight penalty. Without pushrods limiting the intake port design, they could eventually exceed the power of the well developed splayed valve SBC. The OHC Ford's peak rpm potential hasn't been approached either. But the spending admittedly would eventually meet or exceed what the current teams pay.
A separate class for dragsters with supercharged Factory Stock engines, or dedicated crate engine? A hard tail dragster chassis would be cheaper than a COPO or CJ roller. The engine costs could be contained for a few years.
I remember a proposal for a crate motor comp class in the late 90's. It was overwhelmingly voted down by existing teams. But that was when 32 car fields were filled, and money was looser. Maybe the attitude would be different this time.
As an outsider looking in, it has appeal. Comp could use a few new outsiders.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:06 PM   #6
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

They don't even want just a spec head deal. I can't see them going for a crate motor you can't touch.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:50 PM   #7
Mike Jones
VIP Member

Liked 660 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by al wisniewski View Post
I'm not sure developing those engines for a Comp program, could be done for a reasonable investment. Dragsters and Altereds would be cheaper than a door car, but might not be enticing enough. Interesting to see what the future holds for Comp and Factory Stock.
Mike A114
P/SA

Last edited by Mike Jones; 02-20-2017 at 11:05 PM.
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote