HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 02-13-2017, 02:06 PM   #1
impstocker

Liked 54 Times in 16 Posts
Default Another Or Same Header Question

Ok, How important are equal length headers? I have time, not a lot of $ for new headers so I plan on using my Hooker Competition 2.0 inch headers I ran on my 68 with the 396/325 HP combo I will be using again in Stock. The longest primary pipe is 37 inches but have a shortfall back 2 cylinders. These are "street headers" that I modified with a better collector. Does the fact I run a stock dual plane manifold which I guess are unequal length runners really negate any gains from a equal length header?

Will Lamprecht
65 Impala 396/325 I/SA
impstocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:54 PM   #2
dmir55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Another Or Same Header Question

I think, of "big three" in headers, that equal length is the one you don't have worry about so much. It is important but sometimes impossible to make the tubes equal length. I think collector design and size is first, and primary tube size is a very very close second. And then comes primary length. Try to get the tube size to work your converter stall or your shift point drop in a stick. Hope this helps.
dmir55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #3
Jim Hanig

Liked 97 Times in 47 Posts
Default Re: Another Or Same Header Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by impstocker View Post
Ok, How important are equal length headers? I have time, not a lot of $ for new headers so I plan on using my Hooker Competition 2.0 inch headers I ran on my 68 with the 396/325 HP combo I will be using again in Stock. The longest primary pipe is 37 inches but have a shortfall back 2 cylinders. These are "street headers" that I modified with a better collector. Does the fact I run a stock dual plane manifold which I guess are unequal length runners really negate any gains from a equal length header?

Will Lamprecht
65 Impala 396/325 I/SA
Will, i did a test several years ago on the Dyno at Mike Trumbles a 396,375 with the header like yours then swapped the for a set of stalhs . the engine picked up 12 hp. about a tenth at the track.they where both 2" with 3.5 collector I think you need a smaller 1/7/8. or maybe a 31/4 colector. look up cone enginnering they sell all sorts of header parts.
Jim Hanig is offline   Reply With Quote