Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-22-2017, 02:46 PM   #11
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 246 Times in 99 Posts
Default Re: Criteria used for picking c

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7423 View Post
Don't build a class car. Build a bracket car that is legal for class racing. You will get far more bang for your buck. Don't spend all your money trying to build the fastest car in the class. There will always be someone else with an agenda and more money than you. Build a car that will hook in the mud and it's cheap to race.. Something that you can bracket race on $3.00 a gallon pump gas. Forget about the 69 Camaro with the rat. Pick something that is in the second half of the alphabet. Much cheaper, more durable. Something that you are not afraid to hot lap and race every weekend at your local track. Forget about the little trophy on Friday. Build something that will land the big trophy on Sunday. Your race car is a tool that you use to turn on a win light. Your mileage may vary. Best of luck to you with whatever you choose.
X2 - Great Point
David Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:05 PM   #12
partsbob67

Liked 37 Times in 10 Posts
Default Re: Criteria used for picking car

Must be the end of the world coming! People agreeing with charlie!
Old 02-22-2017, 07:40 PM   #13
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Man Bob, if that's the case, then my stuff must be covered with warts!

x4
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:11 PM   #14
Bob Mulry
VIP Member

Liked 321 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Man Bob, if that's the case, then my stuff must be covered with warts!

BUT BUT BUT

You're Billy and he's not..........

Bob

PS:
We all luv ya warts and all............................
Old 02-22-2017, 09:12 PM   #15
Mike Gray

Liked 496 Times in 133 Posts

For me it's building a car I like !
Much easier to spend money and time on a car that you really want to have.
I don't care how fast it is a long as it's under the index, heck I could always bracket race it.
Why do you think there are so many '69 Camaros, no Plymouth Valiants or AMC Hornets for me
Mike Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:02 PM   #16
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 180 Times in 110 Posts

I liked this comment...

Build a car you can fit in!
The number of drivers that manage to slip behind the wheel.
Getting gracefully past the roll bar..wow!

Fwiw never seen a over sized NASCAR Driver !
All seem to slip through the window just fine!

Not going to see that in a doorslammer drag race car!
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:24 AM   #17
Dan Virt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Guys, Thanks for all the positive feedback and even the not so.
Billy, I don't do frogs, and Dan, stop the fat jokes, I'm not that fat, just a little overweight. LOL
Dan Virt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:55 AM   #18
Signman

Liked 198 Times in 73 Posts

To begin go to the track to spectate walk the pits stop and talk to racers befriend a few over time.
If possible get involved with a car. What you will learn is invaluable will speed up the learning curve many years.

Pick the brand you prefer, pick a few bodies, years and engines you like. Study the Classification Guide and Engine Blueprint Specs.
Ask questions and look over these cars/combinations at the track. Be a sponge not a brain picker. Subscribe to Nitro Joe's Stats.

Pick a car you like or love because this takes a lot more time, work and money than you can ever estimate.
There are some benefits to just buying an existing race car so don't rule it out if not up to the monumental effort it takes to build a car from scratch.

As far as how fast it needs to be on the qualifying sheet is pretty much defined by the combination and your wallet plus work ethic: Wallet the most important.

You have to know why your doing this:
If you want to win races the car needs to be able to run 1 second under the index at tracks you will compete to be a threat in heads up races AND be consistent AND you have to be able to drive both ends of the track. You don't have to run the car a second under just be able to. The car must be a weapon and the driver has to know how to use it.
If you want to go fast meaning 10 seconds and under and qualify on the top of the sheet it takes deep pockets if you got it go for it. These faster cars tend to be more consistent and more easy to drive in the eliminator for several reasons including you'll chase a lot.
If you don't have the buck$ and just want to be part of the scene and have fun disregard the above buy a car you like and enjoy it.

Good Luck!
Old 02-23-2017, 12:42 PM   #19
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

You also have to build a car that you will enjoy working on. You can rationalize a good combination, but if you do not really "like" the car, you will not work on it. So, know yourself well.

If you do not feel that you have the desire or ability to be a maverick and go through the research to find good viable combinations that could be competitive but are untried, then by all means review Joe's publications, go to races to observe and watch the class winners at national events. On the other hand, if you are looking for a personal signature and want to follow your own path, be sure to research well what you are doing. There is a wealth of information available, but the answer will be yours.

Finally, be realistic about your time and money. If you are forced to shoestring the effort, your choices are many but limited. If you don't have budget or time, you will be better to attach yourself to a local racer and enjoy being that level of participation. If you have the budget, then you can do what you like about building, buying or having a car built.

The best advice is to figure out how to enjoy. The previous post about building a bracket car that can race classes is a great perspective this day and age. It increases your ability to race successfully at a class race and gives you a much bigger stage to learn to enjoy.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:59 PM   #20
rick winchester

Liked 190 Times in 31 Posts

Unless you are picking a copo, do not pick any GM combo. Only ford and mopar are doing anything to help sportsman racers. Take a look at the sponsors list and company programs ,its plain to see. Rick