HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-23-2017, 08:09 PM   #21
Hacksaw

Liked 276 Times in 151 Posts
Default Re: Criteria used for picking car

Lots of good advice so far. Let me add, when you decide your direction, write it down on paper and stick to your plan. Often the planning is the hardest part.
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:49 PM   #22
4284spd
VIP Member

Liked 3,983 Times in 905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Southerland View Post
You also have to build a car that you will enjoy working on. You can rationalize a good combination, but if you do not really "like" the car, you will not work on it. So, know yourself well.

If you do not feel that you have the desire or ability to be a maverick and go through the research to find good viable combinations that could be competitive but are untried, then by all means review Joe's publications, go to races to observe and watch the class winners at national events. On the other hand, if you are looking for a personal signature and want to follow your own path, be sure to research well what you are doing. There is a wealth of information available, but the answer will be yours.

Finally, be realistic about your time and money. If you are forced to shoestring the effort, your choices are many but limited. If you don't have budget or time, you will be better to attach yourself to a local racer and enjoy being that level of participation. If you have the budget, then you can do what you like about building, buying or having a car built.

The best advice is to figure out how to enjoy. The previous post about building a bracket car that can race classes is a great perspective this day and age. It increases your ability to race successfully at a class race and gives you a much bigger stage to learn to enjoy.
Perfect. If I could afford to un mini-tub my 68 CJ, I would turn it into a stocker. Its the car I love. Racing a V-6 TBird would do nothing for me!
Old 02-25-2017, 04:15 PM   #23
lewis Becker

Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Smile Re: Criteria used for picking car

This is one of the very best threads based upon the content i have read since following the class racer web site over 11 years ago.outstanding and accurate replies.regards ,the zinga.
lewis Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:52 PM   #24
Philip Saran

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

Also the cost of buying a car or body to build a race car is not like it was in the
80's. Back then you could and I did buy running Dusters and 67-69 Cuda's for
$100 - 400 and drive them home.

Now people want big money for junk bodies. The 1974 Duster 360 I bought in
2000 for $400 and drove home now goes for $5000- $7000.

Just my $0.02
Old 02-26-2017, 01:41 PM   #25
James L Miller

Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

I was hoping that Dwight's website had a thing where I could look up a class (L/SA for me) and then see all the possible cars that fit in the class. I think that would be a lot of work, so maybe that is a dream? I wonder how many car/engine combinations are in the classification guide?
Old 02-26-2017, 06:43 PM   #26
Timetraveler

Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis Becker View Post
This is one of the very best threads based upon the content i have read since following the class racer web site over 11 years ago.outstanding and accurate replies.regards ,the zinga.
Lew your too young to remember but this website built my U/SA back in 2001 and 2002 and I have a Wallly from the Gators to show for it. Listen to everyone and you will get some great advice.
Bill
Timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:13 PM   #27
Isaac Zane

Liked 50 Times in 14 Posts

We found a nice looking car, decent factoring, and IN OUR PRICE RANGE. And it even came with delivery! Turned out pretty well for us. 2004 NHRA Stock Eliminator National Champion! 73 Buick Apollo, 350 4bbl. From Tommy Pettigrew. There was a well used chat room where some racers gave it thumbs up!
Do a little bit of homework and research. Go with what you like!
Isaac Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:11 AM   #28
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 750 Times in 361 Posts

Yeah, find something you like, turn key, in your price range. At today's prices it would be very difficult, if not impossible, for most, to buy a body and build from scratch, for what they can buy a decent turn key car for.

And I'm not talkin about the dime rockets, but a popular body style and engine you like.

For example: Since I'm a long time Pontiac guy, I'd prefer a Pontiac powered Bird or A-body, or even an X-body.

If I had the $$, I'd buy this '77 Bird tomorrow.

http://www.racingjunk.com/Stock-Supe...la-K-M-SA.html

I'd also like to have the Don Turk Grand Am.

http://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=64941

Last edited by oldskool; 02-27-2017 at 12:27 AM.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote