HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-09-2009, 06:50 PM   #11
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts
Default Re: 2008 Cobra Jets belong in Stock

Good point. I agree. But nhra staff needs to do their homework as well. They accepted the 425 Horsepower rating from the Ford Parts people without question.

Last edited by Bruce Noland; 02-09-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Bruce Noland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:29 PM   #12
goinbroke2

Liked 175 Times in 61 Posts

Gotta get one last jab at the fords eh Bruce?

I said this in the LAST thread about the CJ's, Start off at 5lb's for A and go to Z. We don't need AA or any additional numbers if the factor starts in the right place. A is the fastest at 5 per hp and Z can be 28 and up or whatever.
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:42 PM   #13
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinbroke2 View Post

I said this in the LAST thread about the CJ's, Start off at 5lb's for A and go to Z. We don't need AA or any additional numbers if the factor starts in the right place. A is the fastest at 5 per hp and Z can be 28 and up or whatever.
Do you think the CJ debate is over? BTW you missed the point. It was about nhra staff doing their job(s)!
Old 02-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #14
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Talking Re: 2008 Cobra Jets belong in Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinbroke2 View Post

Does that mean a '68 HEMI 'Cuda or Hemi Dart can run C/S if 5 lbs is A and 5.5 lbs is B and 6 lbs is C since they made about 100 copies. Maybe a 7 lb class '64 Ford T-Bolt (100 copies again) or '69 AMX?????
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:12 PM   #15
Larry Munk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and I want my supercharged Mini Cooper for A/FS and I want a Class for DIESEL DODGE PICK-UPS and a Class for rollerskates and a class for skateboards and snowmobiles and Golf Carts every body's got one lets include them too! STOCK NEEDS TO ELVOLVE, why do we need all these old fashoned rules throw them out start all over no more rules lets just call it Super ET.
Larry Munk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #16
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
Does that mean a '68 HEMI 'Cuda or Hemi Dart can run C/S if 5 lbs is A and 5.5 lbs is B and 6 lbs is C since they made about 100 copies. Maybe a 7 lb class '64 Ford T-Bolt (100 copies again) or '69 AMX?????
RE: The '68 S/S Mopars...
Why not? Put the chassis back to the way it came "STOCK" (no wheel tubs, no 4-links, just S/S springs, and run them on 9" tires, like everybody else, with stock-lift flat tappet cams, no ported heads, and cross-ram, stock intake manifolds and see how well they run....

Ditto the T-Bolts, except for the intake... Gotta have a stock-spec 427 Hi-Rise manifold...

Can't wait to see how they hook!!! LOL!
Old 02-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #17
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts
Cool Re: 2008 Cobra Jets belong in Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Munk View Post
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and I want my supercharged Mini Cooper for A/FS and I want a Class for DIESEL DODGE PICK-UPS and a Class for rollerskates and a class for skateboards and snowmobiles and Golf Carts every body's got one lets include them too! STOCK NEEDS TO ELVOLVE, why do we need all these old fashoned rules throw them out start all over no more rules lets just call it Super ET.
Way to go Larry.Dont stop now,give 'em both barrels.How about AGEVT/S (A gas-electric-variable transmission/Stock) for starters.Or SW/WB DW/WB (single wheel and double wheel wheel barrow.
The possibilities are endless.

Ed F.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:52 PM   #18
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Liked 197 Times in 78 Posts
Send a message via MSN to GarysZ24 Send a message via Yahoo to GarysZ24
Angry Re: 2008 Cobra Jets belong in Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dedman View Post
I agree. The times have changed, but the NHRA rulebook hasn't kept pace. The move to AA/S and AA/SA was a long-overdue addition to the rules, but it didn't go far enough, I think.

You can (if you have the bucks) go to a Chevy dealer and buy a bone-stock ZR-1 Corvette right off the showroom floor with 638 advertised horsepower in a 3,200-pound package (5.02 pounds per hp); a 600 hp Viper SRT-10 in at about 3,350 pounds (5.6 pounds per hp), or several different permutations of blown Ford Mustangs with horsepowers ranging anywhere from 425 to 700+ (depending on whom you choose to believe). The new Nissan GTR is a mid-11-second ride off the showroom floor (AWD), and you're going to be seeing a LOT of those cars around... why not race 'em??? Isn't drag racing traditionally where people go to see the FAST cars???

There are no "STOCK ELIMINATOR" classes for these showroom-stock vehicles.

Why the Hell not? They're American cars (well, all but the GTR) that are readily available, would be REALLY exciting to watch run down the drag strip, and probably would be relatively easy to gain sponsorship for, since they represent the cream of the crop of new cars, so far.

I think NHRA is really dragging their heels on this deal... and, missing an opportunity to showcase the best of the best by not including these babies into the Classification Guide.

The question is: WHY?

Inertia??? I know that NHRA Tech is eaten up with it... "Don't do today, what you can put off until tomorrow.... or, next year."
Bill, as far as I recall when the Nopi Tuner sponsorship ended the NHRA Sports Compact series last season, I remember reading that those classes were going to be merged into our Competition & Super Stock Eliminator categories!? I've been looking forward to this season to see which of those cars were going to come out and play with the American Iron in either category, and I've been waiting since 1991 for any of those Japanese/Japanese-American cars to make their way into Stock Eliminator...If nothing else, the late great Wally Parks rolled out the welcome mat for those cars too, but you don't see many of them listed in the Stock Car classification guide, because no-one's chosen to campaign one of them---I'm chomping at the bit to line-up my Chevy Cavalier next to one of those (ballyhooed by the warped-minded, import-loving car magazine dip-stick) import cars in a Stock Eliminator type race (epecially a handicapped one where rt's and consistency determine the winner)!!! OOOHHH boy, get me fired up to race an import, and I don't care who's driving it, because I'll be thinking of all of the American workers who lost their jobs due to our governments embracing of this warped-minded global economy!!! They better hope I'm not feeling well when they race me, either , because I'll be out to put another thousandts package on them like I've been blessed to do against Tony Hernandez (.006 package in Rnd 3 at the '06 Mile Highs), or the nearly similar packages placed on Wes McCann, and Mike Graham in a 2007 Stock/Super Stock combo race (where I ran right on my dial nearly to the thou both times!), that has Mike wanting a rematch with me, and was my rematch with Wes for my -.013 red-bulb against him in the quarters at the '07 Div. VII race #2 where I ran right on my dial-in (to the thou), in my fwd Z24---thus, I'm still waiting to see some imports run consistent like that.

I'M CALLING OUT ANY BODY WHO LOVES THOSE IMPORTS TO BUILD ONE AND BRING IT OUT TO ANY OF OUR STOCK ELIMINATOR RACES...ESPECIALLY AGAINST ME!!!!!!

Uh, hmm, now as for the 2008 Cobra Jets, I'm glad to see them out here, and I look forward to seeing the Challengers as well in Gainesville, and the Camaros (once Chevrolet decides to release them).

USA ALL THE WAY!!!!!
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)

Last edited by GarysZ24; 02-09-2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: I was so upset about that import stuff I misspelled Gainesville
GarysZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:23 PM   #19
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Anything that the OEM sells to the public, for public consumption on public roadways, should be allowed in Stock.
If the OEM builds it and can't pass DOT / EPA it should be Superstock only.

That should be the argument, not what the HP or class designation!
Old 02-09-2009, 11:54 PM   #20
Shawn Blair

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Re: 2008 Cobra Jets belong in Stock

That's right Jeff, Alan Rinehart said something about them not being street legal over the loud speaker Sat. during first round.Then I said out loud "thats why they should be in super stock" but someone wanted to argue sayin "my stocker isn't street legal either" but I informed that it was when it came from the factory!