HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 09-16-2016, 04:37 PM   #1
jrstock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Converter Question

I'm seeing odd converter stall speed behavior on our data logger.

Anyone have recommendations on a really sharp converter guy to take a look at our data logger results?

Thanks.
jrstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:36 AM   #2
Ultimate Converter Concepts
Sponsor

Liked 59 Times in 12 Posts
Default Re: Converter Question

Good morning, it could be a few things, and if it is varying in the 60' (erratic flash) it will cause odd behavior there and on the fall back on the shift. You can send me a screen shot of a couple of runs to my email , lenny@ultimateconverter.com, I would be more than happy to try and help.
I have taken all my download software off my computer as I receive a lot of downloads to read, and lately a lot of racers do not use their laptop for data downloads and uploads. They use them for personal use and have a nasty habit of getting infected with viruses that they share with their car (tunes) and others, 3 times in one week was enough for me. Screen shots and conversation work
Ultimate Converter Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:28 PM   #3
Kevin Panzino

Liked 550 Times in 106 Posts

jrstock, check your PM's.
Kevin Panzino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:48 PM   #4
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,493 Times in 426 Posts

Not to hijack the thread but I always thought converter flash rpm and shift drop rpm were normally the same. Is it possible for a working engine and converter combo to flash off the line to 5500 and then drop to roughly 6100 on the gear changes?
Old 09-24-2016, 01:25 AM   #5
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 676 Times in 260 Posts

Stator is fixed in position. Pump section of the converter rotates engine speed. Turbine is fixed to the Trans input so it rotates trans input shaft speed.
There can be Fluid pressure differential between the Pump, Stator and Turbine depending on the speeds of the pump and the turbine. It is as simple as the pump side of the converter may be efficient at stall speed on the line (Turbine not moving) and inefficient as the turbine picks up speed with the car moving and the input shaft turning. It can also be the Stator design and the way it directs fluid movement. All your good converter guys know and understand what is happening and build according to what your combination needs. Just another reason you have converters with positive, negative and neutral fin angles. There is way more going on in a converter than just stall speed. Why would a good Comp team spend the money for 3 -5 very similar converters for one engine? To add to the confusion you can buy 2 converters built with identical parts and have the same part numbers, but they will not be identical twins. One will be better looking!

Last edited by Adger Smith; 09-24-2016 at 08:30 AM. Reason: sp
Adger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote