CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Class Racer Builds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Woodfin's SS GT/TB construction series (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=54442)

Dragsinger 01-16-2016 08:54 PM

Re: Woodfin's SS GT/TB construction series

3 Attachment(s)
Super 10 progress continues. The short block is finished.

It has been many years and many builds since one of my builds included a dip stick. yet, now it seems like a good idea.

Dragsinger 01-29-2016 01:05 AM

Super 10 updates are on the back burner for a while. The East Texas economy is greatly depressed these days. In my home town of Kilgore Tx the City has made great strides with attracting and diversifying business other than oil related.

Yet Kilgore and surrounding areas remain strongly tied to oil production as major cash suppliers for the local economy.

2016 marks 44 years of owning and operating a small automotive repair shop [Woodfin Automotive] I have weathered many cycles of up and down business but this round is the worst ever.

Many folks laid off, many shops closed. It is a very tough time.

We are hunkered down and being very thrifty. No race money is on the horizon.

HandOverFist 01-29-2016 02:05 AM

Patience Larry...there is no rush. I've been taking my time with current projects and it is so much more relaxing not pushing myself into arbitrary deadlines. ;)

Dragsinger 01-29-2016 04:33 AM

Hand, I will have my creditors contact you so you can explain the "be patient" "he'll pay you someday" :)

Mike Pearson 01-29-2016 10:32 AM

Best wishes Larry. You will survive. Times are tough all over.

Dragsinger 03-20-2016 09:12 AM

While the Super 10 is temporally out of commission it will race again. I have the D 4 Lucas Race at Thunder Road in September on my calendar!

One update consideration. I have talked with Dean Oliver about a 4 GC carb and may do that. It will allow the truck to run "C" and be closer to the min class weight.

Thanks for all the encouragement, we will be back .

Dragsinger 03-28-2016 08:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
In giving thought to this post I am struggling with exactly how to present this change.

My struggle is mostly based on my long time, make that lifelong quest to go faster. Yet, here is, a smaller carb. Whew, what an adjustment.

However, at least in theory, the 4 GC does hold an advantage for the Super 10.

Originally I ran it as the 327/300/293 with Quick Fuel 585 carb. As the numbers worked out I was 120 or so pounds too heavy for "B" but could not drop to "C" because the 327/300/293 makes it a natural "A" package.

The truck is as light as I can practically make it [within reason] To reduce it by 100 + pounds would require a moly cage and new moly back half. That is simply not a reasonable option

Enter the 327/250/270 with Rochester 4 GC.

Now I can run "C" and only be about 35 or so pounds heavy.

In addition, with an 11.10 index in "C" I may be able to move up a few places on the qualifying ladder.

So, we will see. I hear good feedback about the 4CG running well and being consistent. Yet, it sure is small :)

Dragsinger 03-28-2016 08:15 PM

Notice the decal is larger than the carb. :)

Dave Muller 03-29-2016 01:25 PM

Do you know a part number for that AN fitting in the carb's fuel inlet? I'd like to get a fitting just like that if I can.

Dragsinger 03-29-2016 02:35 PM

Dave,

Dean Oliver sent it with the carb. Deans number 870-830-5470 It is a #8 and he also has them for #6