CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Factory Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   New Comp Eliminator A/FX Class (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=80798)

SSDiv6 11-05-2021 02:23 PM

New Comp Eliminator A/FX Class

The 2022 NHRA Rule Book amendments shows a new class, A/FX, for next year, for Cobra Jets, COPO Camaro's and Drag Pak's with a lot of creativity and freedom.

FACTORY EXPERIMENTAL
DESIGNATION

A/FX preceded by car number.

Reserved for 2019 and newer Manufactured Automobiles with Factory production engine of the same make. Manufacturer engines and bodies not listed in this section may be submitted for acceptance in Factory Experimental.

Currently Accepted makes/models:

Chevrolet (Camaro – COPO) – minimum weight 2,650 lbs.
Dodge (Challenger – Drag Pak) – minimum weight 2,650 lbs.
Ford (Mustang – Cobra Jet) – minimum weight 2,650 lbs.

All minimum weights listed above include driver.

Andrew Hill 11-05-2021 03:20 PM

Re: New Comp Eliminator A/FX Class

"Aftermarket planetary or clutchless transmission with a maximum of five forward speeds
and reverse permitted. Automatic transmission prohibited."

This class is going to be cool as hell!

BRETV 11-05-2021 04:14 PM

The future Pro Stockers, very cool!!!!

Bret Velde
2003 ??/SA

Carguy49 11-05-2021 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRETV (Post 651594)
The future Pro Stockers, very cool!!!!
Bret Velde
2003 ??/SA

Just what I was thinking. Let's see who jumps on the bandwagon and just let's her rip. I am excited for this new class.

I didn't look at the rulebook amendments - what is the index??

jmcarter 11-05-2021 05:12 PM

Future Pro Stockers, possibly even replacing FS if enough people make the changeover and take advantage of a bigger tire. If they phase out PS NHRA will probably keep it a “sportsman” class since the purse will no doubt shrink accordingly. Maybe they won’t muck it up with pulley changes for the sake of parity.

Carguy49 11-05-2021 05:36 PM

I did some checking. Looks like it will be an exhibition class at first.

If it becomes a real class, I HOPE NHRA doesn't mess with it and let it stay all 3 brands (Ford, Chevy and Mopar). Otherwise it will be no better than Pro Stock is now, and Factory Stock. Just my 2 cents.....

Pistol Pete 11-06-2021 10:01 AM

I didn’t see where these cars are going to run in Comp Elim.

Or am I missing something ??

Dyno 11-06-2021 02:59 PM

I read the description of the class. It reads very intricate and expensive to build.

Charles Stewart 11-06-2021 07:08 PM

You can see more details and specs for thoses A/FX ,on page 48 to 59 of the Exhibition Rulebook, at the bottom of the rules section, on NHRA RACER.
Good reading...

Superfan1 11-07-2021 11:59 AM

Let's all pray that the NHRA doesn't screw this up like they have done to the Factory Stock Showdown and, to a somewhat lesser degree, Pro Mod. This has the potential to be absolutely great!

Carguy49 11-07-2021 09:00 PM

In reading through the class rules, it sounds like NHRA has plans to mess it up already. If I am wrong, please let me know, but this is how I read it.

From the top of page 49 - - -Note: NHRA may adjust (minimum weights, supercharger pulley ratios, etc) at any time to control performance and maintain parity of the category.

I understand that it is their show, but what a way to bring in a new category that could be the best thing in a few years. My rant is over, sorry.

SwillRacer 11-08-2021 12:55 PM

I feel like they have to put that in there in the case that a particular combo runs away with the class. But let's hope the NHRA takes a hands-off approach and encourages the OEM's to work with their racers to improve their products if they fall behind. Let the factory wars re-commence!! If managed correctly, this class could be epic.

This class would deserve it's own Discovery Channel show!!! Or at least a web series. And I'm not even joking. What do race fans, well, REAL race fans argue about more than which brand is better???? It's the age-old motorsports arguement. Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge. Does anyone have the phone number for Hollywood? I think I'm going to give them a call.....

Carguy49 11-08-2021 06:41 PM

Very good interview with Brian Lohnes and Lonnie Grim on www.nhra.com about the new A/FX class.

pbcbob 11-09-2021 08:11 AM

now that all 3 mfg have pushrod engines, why not use them? lose the blowers which the mfg keep changing to screw up the "parity", I assume faithful copies of stock bodies have a lot of drag compared to current pro stock cars, which body has the front overhang advantage?

Mike Pearson 11-09-2021 03:08 PM

We really dont need another category of race cars. Adding another category of cars that take a lot of time from the program and eat up the pit space so this is just going to drop the quota numbers for the sportsman racers. Next they will be racing electric cars too. There is not enough time to run what they have now much less adding a class like this that will be the same **** fanning the doors and adjusting the wheelie bars at the pre stage line. All of this crap takes time. They will once again have to look at dropping some classes from the national events.
Actually it might be a cool class with the manual gear boxes and clutches if done right. Most fans dont like pro stock so I dont think they will flock to the track to see these cars run. Maybe they will run these at selected events where they dont have pro stock and get rid of the mountain motor cars. I assume this will be a national event only class like Factory stock.

Mark Yacavone 11-10-2021 12:58 PM

Keep an eye on the magician's other hand here for the misdirection.
He's got something up his sleeve, and it won't turn out well for some other class.

BTW, we've already had F-actory X-perimental for about 12 years now, haven't we?

Steve Polhill 11-11-2021 06:05 PM

I love the idea but once again this is a class of $250,000 race cars that are price prohibitive for 99% of us. And those with the money to run one will demo whatever class they put them in.

Stickshift 11-11-2021 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Hill (Post 651591)
"Aftermarket planetary or clutchless transmission with a maximum of five forward speeds
and reverse permitted. Automatic transmission prohibited."

This class is going to be cool as hell!

This is what is going to make me watch the class. I’d rather they had to shift them manually, but it’s still better than a boring automatic.

BRETV 11-12-2021 11:03 AM

We all know that most FS cars will switch over to the A/FX class. So why don't they make the FS class an NA class. No need for 2 classes with power adders. You can run a stick or auto. That would showcase the MFG's NA motors. We need some NA heads up classes! IMHO

Bret Velde
2003 ??/SA

Dyno 11-13-2021 12:10 PM

The new FX class is an all new tube chassis car. I do not see racers taking complete new race cars and cutting them up.

jmcarter 11-13-2021 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dyno (Post 652252)
The new FX class is an all new tube chassis car. I do not see racers taking complete new race cars and cutting them up.

Good to see flood cars going to good use beyond underfactored stockers. Not throwing rocks at those that do, they are all fine racers who are simply taking advantage of what rules they’re given. We admire efforts like Smokey Yunick’s Chevelle, Gapp & Roush “Tijuana Taxi, etc. Unless you’re in the other lane of course.

Look forward to seeing some low seven second passes, can you say “No More Pro Stock”?

Moon1690 11-16-2021 04:39 PM

I think this is the begining of the end for Pro Stock

tommy d 11-24-2021 06:30 PM

Holbrook said to count him in. He's having a new car built.

Andy Friar 11-26-2021 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carguy49 (Post 651843)
Very good interview with Brian Lohnes and Lonnie Grim on www.nhra.com about the new A/FX class.

https://www.nhra.com/news/2021/nhra-...ing-class-2022

Frank Castros 11-26-2021 09:37 PM

Holbrook, most probably Barton, Welch and who else? Hopefully Kevin Helms is involved somewhere, a Mr. Jeff car?

Superfan1 11-27-2021 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Castros (Post 652906)
Holbrook, most probably Barton, Welch and who else? Hopefully Kevin Helms is involved somewhere, a Mr. Jeff car?

Maybe Bill Skillman, Kevin Skinner, and Carl Tasca. Hopefully Frank, there will be many more; this class has the potential to be great. Let's hope the NHRA doesn't screw it up as they have done with the Factory Stock Showdown and, to a lesser degree, Pro Mod.

Wayne Scraba 11-27-2021 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dyno (Post 652252)

Exactly. It will be the way Pro Stock used to be before NHRA allowed all composite bodies...OEM steel quarter panels, OEM steel roof panel and that’s about it. The rest will be carbon fiber....and no matter what NHRA says, it won’t be cheap and few, if any “home builders” need to apply....:)

doglover44 12-23-2021 05:11 PM

Whats the Comp Index for these ?

Superfan1 12-24-2021 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doglover44 (Post 654335)
Whats the Comp Index for these ?

The Comp index is 7.45.

Moon1690 02-03-2022 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superfan1 (Post 654400)
The Comp index is 7.45.

6.70-6.80 et is going to be the norm for the new FX cars:)

Mike Jones 03-13-2022 01:20 PM

When will we see them?

Mike Jones 11-15-2022 07:33 AM

any updates?

Ralph A Powell 11-15-2022 09:19 AM

Question of the Day How close and who will NHRA POLICE them?

Billy Nees 11-15-2022 11:56 AM

How about another question, without a clear view of where this "class" is going (the next ProStock or just another "class" in Comp) how many Racers does NHRA honestly expect to make the kind of investment that it's going to take?

Rose Racing 11-15-2022 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 670973)
How about another question, without a clear view of where this "class" is going (the next ProStock or just another "class" in Comp) how many Racers does NHRA honestly expect to make the kind of investment that it's going to take?

I think it depends on funding and sponsorship..... for both NHRA and the racers wanting to race this deal...

Billy Nees 11-16-2022 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rose Racing (Post 670999)
I think it depends on funding and sponsorship..... for both NHRA and the racers wanting to race this deal...

"Funding and sponsorship" in the NHRA unless you're talking personal funding or sponsorship, no longer exists in what is going to be a class in a Sportsmen Eliminator. Now if NHRA made an announcement like "A/FX to become the new ProStock" then there may be some "funding and sponsorship" available but it won't be much and it will probably be mostly parts.

Frank Castros 11-16-2022 05:05 PM

Who in their right mind would make that kind of investment without a solid plan in place?

SSDiv6 11-16-2022 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 670973)

I have a friend of mine in the latest stages of building his COPO for the class. He currently races in Comp Eliminator.

BRETV 11-16-2022 05:48 PM

I think NHRA is testing the waters with this class to see if it could become the next Pro Stock. NHRA probably doesn't want to come and say it directly yet, cause it might ruffle alot of feathers. IMHO

Bret Velde
2003 ??/SA

Billy Nees 11-17-2022 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRETV (Post 671048)
I think NHRA is testing the waters with this class to see if it could become the next Pro Stock. Bret Velde 2003 ??/SA

and as usual, they're "testing-the-waters" using other people's money.