CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Tech west / 7AL2 problem (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=81010)

Rob Petrie E395 12-05-2021 12:49 AM

Tech west / 7AL2 problem

I think I’ve read every thread on here about them. But not seeing the answer to my question. Has anybody back to backed one of his to one as produced by MSD? Do they really make more power? Or just more reliable? I think I’m going to go ahead anyways because I think something is wrong with my box.

About 1 out of every 15 times I try to start the car. It acts like it’s jumped time. Barely idles and is kind of blubbering so to speak. But if I click it right back off. And start it again. It’s fine for another 15 or so starts. I’ve eliminated everything else it could be by switching out my spare everything including wiring harness for the Fuel Injection. And every sensor, ign ect. So it’s gotta be the MSD box. Its all that’s left. I don’t have a spare for it. It’s a 7AL2. Has anybody else had a similar problem.

Jeff Niceswanger 12-05-2021 10:07 AM

Re: Tech west / 7AL2 problem

Is the IAC (Idle Air Control) in service? If so, I'd try eliminating that before moving forward.

Joe Schweigert 12-05-2021 10:29 AM

What FI system is it ?

Rob Petrie E395 12-05-2021 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Schweigert (Post 653326)
What FI system is it ?

Holley. And literally every piece of it has been swapped out. Harness, ecm, every sensor, injectors IAC valve too too. Everything in the fuel system except the lines and fuel cell. It’s done this since I built it. Been class raced 6-8 races. Bracket raced and test and tune triple that if not more. A few pulls on a chassis Dyno too. Not sure what it is but I literally click it off, click it right back on. It’s a ok again for 15 or so starts. I rewired all the wiring to and from the box. But haven’t changed the box yet. Because I sent it to MSD and had it checked before it went into the car. But as I’m reading all the tech west and MSD posts. I see people posting time and time again. Talking of problems with them. So I’m wondering if that’s where the problem lies. And I kept saying it can’t be. Because I had it “tested” by MSD.

Rob Petrie E395 12-05-2021 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Niceswanger (Post 653325)
Is the IAC (Idle Air Control) in service? If so, I'd try eliminating that before moving forward.

Are you saying eliminate the IAC all together. And adjust the idle with the min idle set screw for the throttle blades? Or eliminate that as a possibility. I swapped the IAC valve for a known good one.

Jeff Niceswanger 12-05-2021 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Petrie E395 (Post 653347)
Are you saying eliminate the IAC all together. And adjust the idle with the min idle set screw for the throttle blades? Or eliminate that as a possibility. I swapped the IAC valve for a known good one.

I would just eliminate it. Click IAC type "none". Open the throttle setpoint a turn or two, redo a TPS auto reset, fire it and fiddle with the area around your idle area in the map.After you get it idling well you can turn your idle back down to your liking (in gear) and do a 2nd TPS auto reset. Also, depending on how much of the load the IAC was carrying you might develop a slight stumble in the off idle areas as you jab it. A little extra fuel in the acceleration map will cure that, but cross that bridge when you get to it. Make sure to rename it and save "as is". You can always put your old tune back in if you like the use of a IAC better. But I have seen stepper motors act like yours. It's probably one little area in your map where the modifiers and IAC blend together that causing you fits. Try this as its a pretty easy test..

Rob Petrie E395 12-06-2021 03:32 PM

Ok I’ll try what you suggested. But I’m going to try a box first. Heck I don’t have a spare. It’s literally the only thing I don’t have a spare of. And it’ll only take a few min to change. Drag racing. Because I hate money and love work. LOL

Still wondering how much better the tech west boxes are. Trying to decide one of those. Or just another as produced by MSD.

Glenn Briglio 12-06-2021 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Petrie E395 (Post 653401)
Ok I’ll try what you suggested. But I’m going to try a box first. Heck I don’t have a spare. It’s literally the only thing I don’t have a spare of. And it’ll only take a few min to change. Drag racing. Because I hate money and love work. LOL

Still wondering how much better the tech west boxes are. Trying to decide one of those. Or just another as produced by MSD.

Use the search box on this website about techwest. Just saying beware.

Joe Schweigert 12-06-2021 07:21 PM

I would be surprised if the MSD is the issue

Rob Petrie E395 12-06-2021 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn Briglio (Post 653406)
Use the search box on this website about techwest. Just saying beware.

Sounds like he’s got better. And I understand having a family member that needs you. My stepson lives close enough to take it in person and check in if needed. I’m going to give it a try.