CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   MSD grid (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=83131)

NHRA1926 09-30-2022 12:39 PM

MSD grid

Anyone using the MSD power grid to run Super Street? My Digital 6AL Plus has issues, so I ordered the MSD grid system and gonna try to use it to adjust timing to run 10.90. Any one out there got any experience or suggestions? I do not use a conventional throttle stop, just a manual limiter on the back of the carburetor. Trying to let the car launch hard, then pull timing out to hit the 10.90 mark.

Keith 944 09-30-2022 07:03 PM

Re: MSD grid

Yep I have the grid in both cars, the dodge (sold) was a 11.50 index car ran 10.90’s flat out that’s how I did it. Just would be hard to figure out with different days, and weather conditions.

Maverick 10-01-2022 07:51 AM

The thing I don't like about making changes is you got to get the lap top out to make changes. Time is important between rounds.

Keith 944 10-01-2022 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick (Post 668366)
The thing I don't like about making changes is you got to get the lap top out to make changes. Time is important between rounds.

This is not exactly true. In my 1150 car I had the can buss and a timing controller I could easily reach over and change the timing and or launch rpm while sitting in the burn out box

Tom Goldman 10-02-2022 04:11 PM

Using timing retard alone to slow a car is a double edged sword.
If you only need to kill 2 or 3 tenth's it will be very effective and consistent, but if you have to kill a second or so it will play hell with with the engines bottom end, without also using a throttle stop.
Long before the Grid or even timing retard boxes, I used to use a dual point distributor and cut one set of points in and out with a timer and retarding 18-20 degrees out since I had trouble making a tunnel ram work consistently with an air stop. .... It was deadly consistent ,but it was hell on both the rod bearings and the crankshaft .

SGSST109E 10-03-2022 06:32 AM

A switch on the shifter to retard the timing back in the modified days.

Rich Biebel 10-03-2022 12:56 PM

Early 1980's trying to slow my Camaro down for S/ST I tried retarding the timing after the shift....had an MSD retard box and had them send me chips

Toggle switch on the shifter

Flat top SS piston short block.....thin wall pins

My best engine could go 10.40's...

Last TT at Etown points race.....flip switch and a couple seconds later.....BOOM.....Pin broke, piston turned sideways !

Was it a co-incidence? Thin wall pins were known to fail but retarding the timing too much was a bad idea......I believe.....

I just threw those chips out a few weeks ago !!

Mike Gray 10-04-2022 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHRA1926 (Post 668321)
Anyone using the MSD power grid to run Super Street? My Digital 6AL Plus has issues, so I ordered the MSD grid system and gonna try to use it to adjust timing to run 10.90. Any one out there got any experience or suggestions? I do not use a conventional throttle stop, just a manual limiter on the back of the carburetor. Trying to let the car launch hard, then pull timing out to hit the 10.90 mark.

It became much easier to run Super Street & Super Gas using a good throttle stop controller. I tried the manual limiter but if your trying to kill much et it creates a bunch of problems. I finally gave in a got a Dedenbear timer and air actuator on the linkage. Much more consistent and you can use it at either end.

Maverick 10-05-2022 03:14 PM

Hey, Keith, I know you can change the start rpm, but I don't think you can change the timing, you can see what the timing is, but you can't change it

DailyDriverSst 10-06-2022 10:05 PM

Very doable.

Tip: Leave your timing degrees the same, just move the curve in and out.

At 5 degrees, I've observed a 10:1 ratio

IE, putting timing in at 1.8 on one run and 2.5 on the other run, slowed the car 7 hunds. 7 tenths of timing was 7 hunds of ET. But that's in a very specific application. YMMV.