CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Class Racer Builds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   1996 B Body Caprice for Superstock (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=74780)

Ernie Neal 11-19-2019 09:22 PM

1996 B Body Caprice for Superstock

8 Attachment(s)
Guys, I was really busy during this process. I did get some photos occasionally. I will try and post some from time to time. I was lucky to make it to Indy with this car. Lot of hours for a 70 years old. I had some help along the way. Glenn Betz, my sons David and Ernie II. Rick Stanghetti came over from Cincinnati. Gary Powers from North Carolina was here for family and helped me some too. Ryan Betz helped some when he came out to his Uncle Glenn's. Jay Koelling came down from Indy and participated in some disassembly and cleaning.

My son normally welds up the rear ends, but due to the time line, I bought the bolt in Moser housing, axles and brakes.

My racing pal out of Louisville, Larry Wilson, loaned me the Chevelle headers so I didn't have to make them myself.

This Caprice came out of North Carolina, and is a rust free, 237k miles on the original 265.

David Tincher, waterjet cut necessary pieces to get the Caprice going. I generate a dwg file and he gets it cut out.

Ernie Neal
SS 354

Ernie Neal 11-21-2019 08:44 AM

Re: 1996 B Body Caprice for Superstock

9 Attachment(s)
Since I have never raced one of these bodies, I didn't know if any of that rear suspension would give up. I took the liberty to making some reinforcement before I broke it. I knew my engine produced smaller amount of torque with a 3" stroke, so I wasn't that concerned about ripping it out.

I used brake kit for an 82-92 Camaro and made the mount bracket to meet the dust shield mounting holes. I enlarged them to 3/8". Of course had to cut off the stock mounting as well.

Brake pedal mount modification was needed to achieve the recommended brake pedal ratio and rod alignment. I went ahead and incorporated the master cylinder mount, for ease of replacement.

Ernie Neal
SS 354
Oh sorry these pictures are not in chronological order

Ernie Neal 11-27-2019 10:05 PM

9 Attachment(s)
plated the lower A frame mount after cutting out the factory crossmember for oil pan clearance

some rollbar fab work

cleaning and wire brushing the frame while it was dropped down.
the bottom of this car is really nice for a 96

Happy Thanksgiving to all

Ernie Neal
SS 354

Ernie Neal 11-30-2019 08:42 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Had to get a little creative with the cherry picker and a roll-around cart to support the body while we were cleaning, rollbar installing and painting the frame.
Hope you can make it out via the pictures
Ernie II and I worked with grinders and cup brushes to get the frame ready for some paint.
I got to tell you guys, while we were both using those cup brushes, my son went out to get in his truck, when he got in he yelled out. He came back into the garage to find out ole' dad had stuck with one of the wires, ouch. I laughed, but he didn't think it was to funny.

Still more to come

Ernie Neal
SS 354

Larry Hill 12-01-2019 09:17 AM

What you need show is how much dirt and dust comes off of the car and how it goes everywhere. Very nice work by all.

Ernie Neal 12-06-2019 09:16 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Larry,

I think I swept up about three dust pans full. Everything in the shop covered. I think I am still blowing it out of my nose.

More bottom photos

Rollbar work along with front crossmember cut out for oil pan clearance and plating area where metal was removed.

Ernie

SS 354

Ernie Neal 12-07-2019 11:45 AM

8 Attachment(s)
My son (Ernie II) is working on a startup video and pictures, I will post it too

Work on the left front caliper mount

Spohn upper arms on the back

Brake line plumbing

Didn't have a pitman arm puller, but this bearing puller worked.

I added these bars to strengthen what I had cut out and reinforced for oil pan. I didn't want any frame flex. The lower bars are 1 5/8" chrome moly and 1 1/4" on X and top. I didn't want to motorplate to be overloaded.

Stay tuned

Ernie Neal
SS 354
Planning PRI next Thursday, hope to see some of you there

Ernie Neal 12-15-2019 12:30 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Just a few more

Photos of driveshaft and loop in place. The crossmember installed. Engine just hanging there with straps. Riner transmission installed.
Engine bay photos

Ernie Neal
SS 354

Ernie Neal 12-15-2019 12:58 PM

7 Attachment(s)
photos of engine bay, Larry Wilson's Chevelle headers, oil pan clearance and front engine motorplate mounting bracket

Ernie Neal
SS 354

Ernie Neal 12-15-2019 01:05 PM

8 Attachment(s)
photos of driveshaft loop and crossmember, plus underside of car

Ernie Neal
SS 354