CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Competition (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Modified Stock hood scoop? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=29369)

RPM5595 10-28-2010 11:21 PM

Modified Stock hood scoop?

Anyone else notice the 2011 rules revision for the Modified Stock hood scoops? It says we can now use a scoop with a 11 in. height instead of 5 in. Considering I have not yet attached my 5 in. scoop to the hood I may make the change but I'm worried they will change the rule back. Any input?
Thanks, Jay

RPM5595 11-06-2010 10:45 PM

Re: Modified Stock hood scoop?

Thanks for the reply. I can think of a couple reasons why they would change it again but I digress.... :) I'll call and see what he says. Just thinking someday I may want to try two carbs and I wouldn't have to make another hood.
Jay

340Cuda 11-07-2010 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPM5595 (Post 218936)
Anyone else notice the 2011 rules revision for the Modified Stock hood scoops? It says we can now use a scoop with a 11 in. height instead of 5 in. Considering I have not yet attached my 5 in. scoop to the hood I may make the change but I'm worried they will change the rule back. Any input?
Thanks, Jay

I guess to make the cars legal that appeared to have been running scoops taller than five inches for a while now. :-)

RPM5595 11-08-2010 10:23 PM

I'm guessing it is a Jimmy DeFrank rule so he is'nt on the cover of National Dragster with a dryer duct attached to his regular scoop anymore. I could be wrong..... :)

buzzinhalfdozen 11-09-2010 06:39 PM

While doing my scoop I read the rule book, made the calls, then I put a scoop on slightly smaller than the ones I've seen being run. Never got a second look that I'm aware of. Personally I didn't see the reasoning behind letting a guy run a 10-11in. scoop but hey the opening could only be 5in. from the hood surface, I mean heck if the scoops 10-11in. tall who gives a rats *** how high the opening is? Joe

RPM5595 11-09-2010 08:47 PM

I agree with you Joe. Never understood the 5 in. deal but it was the rule. Now though it appears we have a choice and I'm considering the option. Not sure from an aerodynamics to actual ram air benefit if the taller scoop is really the best choice anyway. One factor for me is that in the future I would like to install a dual carb intake and that would fit under the same hood if I use the taller scoop. I also don't want to use a lift off hood so that dictates I wont be moving the scoop all the way back against the windshield. Not sure what the plan should be as of now but I'll get 'er done.
Jay

buzzinhalfdozen 11-10-2010 11:16 AM

Yes, when using hinge setup scoop back lenght can be an issue. Slightly trickier making carbs seal to hood. As far as height I'd have to look at how high my carb set up was going to be and add a few inches to that, which unless your engine is fairly low in the car still winds up requiring a rather tall scoop. Problem with the tall scoops is while chasing in the left lane unable to see opponent for most of run. Good luck I'm sure you'll make it work. Currently trying to work out some issue with my EFI setup, would like to change to a Cowl hood. Joe

RPM5595 11-10-2010 08:34 PM

I thought about the visibility issue with the tall scoop too. I'm thinking though that with the scoop not all the way back to the windshield I should have better visibility. Guess I'll find out. What class are you building the EFI for?

buzzinhalfdozen 11-10-2010 10:02 PM

For my BX setup. Have had a few issues with it running COP and EFI , funny how sometimes the simplest things give you the most trouble. Joe

y2k_ta 11-11-2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPM5595 (Post 220944)
I'm guessing it is a Jimmy DeFrank rule so he is'nt on the cover of National Dragster with a dryer duct attached to his regular scoop anymore. I could be wrong..... :)

Good call! :)